#UFC 217 #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #GSP #UFC Fight Night 55

matt-mitrione-20.jpgTORONTO – Few fighters are able to step into the UFC’s octagon and compete at the highest level of the sport with no prior professional experience, but that’s exactly what heavyweight Matt Mitrione has done.

Growing up in front of the UFC’s audience hasn’t been easy on Mitrione (6-2 MMA, 6-2 UFC), and as just one of two active fighters on the roster to have competed in all of his professional bouts inside the octagon, “Meathead” admits he’s felt the pressures involved with having to learn the sport against the highest level of opposition.

“It’s stressful,” Mitrione told MMAjunkie.com of growing up in the UFC. “That’s probably the most stress I get versus performance or whatever else is the fact that whatever I do is on the fly.”

Typically fighters must put together a strong MMA record against quality opponents in order to even be considered for a roster spot, but Mitrione was a special case.

The former NFL player was recruited as a cast member for “The Ultimate Fighter 10? in 2009, and despite a quick submission loss in the quarterfinal round was presented with the opportunity to make his official MMA debut in the UFC at the conclusion of the series.

Mitrione admits to having minimal knowledge of the sport when filming began for the show, which he claims is the reason for his early exit from the tournament.

“I was training, training from day one, for six months to the time I was on ‘The Ultimate Fighter,’ so I didn’t know s–t from anything,” Mitrione said. “I knew nothing at all. So by the time I go there and they’re like, ‘Oh you got submitted by James McSweeney.’ I didn’t know what the hell a guillotine was when I got caught in a guillotine.”

From a time when he didn’t even know the names of techniques commonly used in MMA, Mitrione has developed his skillset to the point where he is considered one of the heavyweight division’s most exciting fighters.

Even though he is older and still much less experienced than a majority of his fellow UFC heavyweights, Mitrione isn’t worried about whether or not time is on his side and knows if he continues to win fights, his chance of earning a world title are just as good as anyone else.

“It could be (a race against time), but I’m not worried about what I could accomplish,” Mitrione said. “My goals, my aspirations are to get a belt.”

With a UFC 165 main card bout against Brendan Schaub (9-3 MMA, 5-3 UFC) just around the corner, Mitrione will get his opportunity to move another step closer to a title fight. And while some fighters in his situation would be eager to make the most of their time and attempt to rush up the rankings, Mitrione is happy with how he’s been developed by UFC matchmakers and will continue to take any fight that’s offered until the championship is around his waist.

“The UFC has me on a good pace,” Mitrione said. “They have me jump up when it’s time to jump up and they have me fall back when it’s time to fall back, and I’m good with that, it doesn’t matter. As long as I give 100 percent in any situation that I’m in, I’m cool with that.”

For more on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Matt Mitrione Fights

• 5 months ago

Comments

Dana White: More than Conor McGregor, homophobic slurs by UFC fighters 'definitely a problem'

UFC President Dana White expressed concern about a recent growing trend of UFC fighters using homophobic language.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Sao Paulo winner Thiago 'Marreta' Santos feels he's on the rise, wants Derek Brunson next

At 32, UFC middleweight Thiago “Marreta” Santos sees no point in holding out for high-ranked names or headlining opportunities. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Hendricks feels 'reborn' after training with Jackson-Wink for UFC 217

“All I can say is that I’m excited, I can’t wait to see improvements I have made and how much better have I gotten in just four weeks. That’s what I’m excited about. I’m getting reborn in a sense," H read news >>

Kailin Curran is 'good at losing,' but feels due for a win at UFC-Shanghai

• 9 hours ago

UFC Fight Night 122’s Kailin Curran is one of very few fighters on the UFC roster with a sub-.500 record. She’s not happy about it.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

With win streak, Jingliang feels more pressure than ever

• 23 hours ago

Li is the flag bearer for his nation in the UFC, clearly the most accomplished Chinese fighter to compete in the Octagon. That comes with the usual perks, but it’s not all glory for the 29-year-old. read news >>

Chase Sherman not excited for Shamil Abdurakhimov at UFC-Shanghai: He 'fights like a (expletive) girl'

• 8 hours ago

Chase Sherman loses a bit of his twinkle when discussing UFC Fight Night 122 opponent Shamil Abdurakhimov.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Nate Diaz scared of Tyron Woodley? No, coach says UFC just needs to pay what's right

• 8 hours ago

Nate Diaz’s boxing coach, Richard Perez, says Diaz should be paid “15 million easy” to fight Tyron Woodley.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

After everything worked against her in debut, Gina Mazany ready to shine at UFC-Shanghai

• 6 hours ago

As far as UFC debuts go, Gina Mazany had one she’d probably like to forget. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Daniel Cormier tweeted something peculiar about Tony Ferguson, Khabib Nurmagomedov

• 6 hours ago

Did the UFC try to book Tony Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov for UFC 219?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor's lethal hands will be 'a lot better' upon UFC return, coach John Kavanagh says

• 4 hours ago

Six months of boxing training for Floyd Mayweather should benefit Conor McGregor in a big way when he returns to the UFC.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>