#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Gokhan Saki #Conor McGregor #Ovince St. Preux #UFC Fight Night 83

jon-jones-51.jpgAt just 26 years old and widely considered the greatest fighter on the planet, it’s easy to forget Jon Jones is a relative neophyte to the sport of MMA. And it’s scary to think what could lie ahead for “Bones,” who says he’s just getting started.

“I’m a white belt in jiu-jitsu,” Jones told MMAjunkie.com. “I just got a new boxing coach. I’m learning so much about angles now. My eyes have been so opened, like a new baby. I’m just really excited to show the MMA community how much better I’ve gotten at mixed martial arts.

“I think a lot time people feel as if because I’ve done so good already that I can’t get better or it’s time for other people to catch up with me. That’s just not fair to me, and it’s not my psychology.”

Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) steps back into the cage in the main event of Saturday’s UFC 165 event, which takes place at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre and airs live on pay-per-view. Standing across from him will be Swedish contender Alexander Gustafsson (15-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC), a 6-foot-5 slugger who will be the first opponent to match the champ in terms of physical stature.

While Jones recently said he’s confident his team has developed a gameplan capable of nullifying Gustafsson’s strengths, he still contends he’s excited for the matchup if for no other reason than to prove his critics wrong, not to mention the opportunity to defend his belt six consecutive time, a feat no other 205-pounder has ever accomplished in the UFC.

“I’m definitely very excited,” Jones said. “This fight, for me, it’s everything I wanted. I made it very clear to everyone what I was looking for, and it’s all happening.

“To fight a guy like Alexander Gustafsson, it’s a fight I asked for to be able to close the debate of which light heavyweight was the most successful or the most dominant. I think I’ll close the debate with this win. I think I’ll also close the debate that the reason why I was so dominant is only because of my size and my reach advantage. So I feel like I’m closing two chapters with one fight, and that’s huge for me, so I’m very excited. I’m very fired up about this one.”

Should Gustafsson prove victorious, Brazilian slugger Glover Teixeira is expected to earn the next shot. Teixeira boasts an incredible 20-fight win streak and would certainly count among the most powerful fighters Jones has ever faced. But “Bones” said he’s not thinking about that just yet, even though Teixeira is scheduled to be in Toronto to attend UFC 165.

“I’m not thinking about Glover at all,” Jones said. “I hope he enjoys watching the fight.”

Jones recent track record is incredible. At just 26 years old, he’s already defeated five former UFC champions. But Jones believes he’s just scratched the surface of what’s possible for him as an athlete.

“I’m still really young,” Jones said. “I think people forget that this is only my sixth year as a pro fighter. I’m just really excited to show people that I’m still very much a kid in a way when it comes to MMA. My enthusiasm for the sport and the learning curve is still just in the beginning stages.

“There’s just so much more for me to learn. We’re always doing things better and getting better at the sport. People just think for some reason it’s time for the new guy to catch up to me. Who said I slowed down?”

For the latest on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Jon Jones)

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jones Cheated | MMAWeekly.com

UFC champion Jon Jones is in the midst facing what could be yet another setback in his life, but his manager refuses to believe he cheated. read news >>

Heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic didn't know UFC planned Jon Jones fight, wants better contract

Stipe Miocic simply wants to get paid what he feels is right as the UFC heavyweight champion.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Jon Jones issues cryptic tweet one week after second drug fail

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is facing a potential four-year suspension and the loss of his undisputed title. But to read his Twitter feed on Sunday, you’d think he had not a care in the read news >>

UFC Commentator Joe Rogan Says Jon Jones Is the 'No. 1 F--kup of All Time'

Last week hosted one of the biggest combat sports extravaganzas of all time, but it wasn't all fun and games. There was a dark cloud hanging over those festivities in the form of the announcement tha read news >>

CSAC executive director: UFC champ Jon Jones situation 'doesn't make any sense'

Why would Jon Jones fail a pre-fight drug test that he knew about while passing two surprise tests weeks earlier? Could a tainted supplement really be to blame, or did he take one thing thinking it w read news >>

Jon Jones passed blood test after UFC 214, different from urine test failure, USADA explains

A USADA spokesperson urges letting “due process occur before jumping to any conclusions” on Jon Jones.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215's Ilir Latifi not ready to judge Jon Jones during turbulent time for 205-pound division

Regardless of what happens with Jon Jones, Ilir Latifi believes the UFC light heavyweight division will thrive.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White isn't optimistic about UFC champ Jon Jones' B sample, laments what could've been

In two words, UFC President Dana White sums up the Jon Jones situation after a failed drug test: “It’s bad.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Is Dana White's Relationship with Jon Jones Over? | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White briefly talked about his relationship with Jon Jones with the press at the UFC 215 216 media day on Thursday. TRENDING > Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jon read news >>

Jon Jones Reportedly Passed UFC 214 Drug Test 24 Hours After Positive Test

New details reportedly emerged Friday regarding Jon Jones' drug test following his UFC 214 victory over Daniel Cormier. Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting, citing multiple sources, reported Jones passed a read news >>