#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Nate Diaz #Darren Till #Kevin Lee #Dominick Cruz #Donald Cerrone #Michael Bisping #Cody Garbrandt #Robbie Lawler

jon-jones-51.jpgAt just 26 years old and widely considered the greatest fighter on the planet, it’s easy to forget Jon Jones is a relative neophyte to the sport of MMA. And it’s scary to think what could lie ahead for “Bones,” who says he’s just getting started.

“I’m a white belt in jiu-jitsu,” Jones told MMAjunkie.com. “I just got a new boxing coach. I’m learning so much about angles now. My eyes have been so opened, like a new baby. I’m just really excited to show the MMA community how much better I’ve gotten at mixed martial arts.

“I think a lot time people feel as if because I’ve done so good already that I can’t get better or it’s time for other people to catch up with me. That’s just not fair to me, and it’s not my psychology.”

Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) steps back into the cage in the main event of Saturday’s UFC 165 event, which takes place at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre and airs live on pay-per-view. Standing across from him will be Swedish contender Alexander Gustafsson (15-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC), a 6-foot-5 slugger who will be the first opponent to match the champ in terms of physical stature.

While Jones recently said he’s confident his team has developed a gameplan capable of nullifying Gustafsson’s strengths, he still contends he’s excited for the matchup if for no other reason than to prove his critics wrong, not to mention the opportunity to defend his belt six consecutive time, a feat no other 205-pounder has ever accomplished in the UFC.

“I’m definitely very excited,” Jones said. “This fight, for me, it’s everything I wanted. I made it very clear to everyone what I was looking for, and it’s all happening.

“To fight a guy like Alexander Gustafsson, it’s a fight I asked for to be able to close the debate of which light heavyweight was the most successful or the most dominant. I think I’ll close the debate with this win. I think I’ll also close the debate that the reason why I was so dominant is only because of my size and my reach advantage. So I feel like I’m closing two chapters with one fight, and that’s huge for me, so I’m very excited. I’m very fired up about this one.”

Should Gustafsson prove victorious, Brazilian slugger Glover Teixeira is expected to earn the next shot. Teixeira boasts an incredible 20-fight win streak and would certainly count among the most powerful fighters Jones has ever faced. But “Bones” said he’s not thinking about that just yet, even though Teixeira is scheduled to be in Toronto to attend UFC 165.

“I’m not thinking about Glover at all,” Jones said. “I hope he enjoys watching the fight.”

Jones recent track record is incredible. At just 26 years old, he’s already defeated five former UFC champions. But Jones believes he’s just scratched the surface of what’s possible for him as an athlete.

“I’m still really young,” Jones said. “I think people forget that this is only my sixth year as a pro fighter. I’m just really excited to show people that I’m still very much a kid in a way when it comes to MMA. My enthusiasm for the sport and the learning curve is still just in the beginning stages.

“There’s just so much more for me to learn. We’re always doing things better and getting better at the sport. People just think for some reason it’s time for the new guy to catch up to me. Who said I slowed down?”

For the latest on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

(Pictured: Jon Jones)

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC champ Daniel Cormier names Volkan Oezdemir as next title challenger

Daniel Cormier is moving on from Jon Jones and lining up his next fight. Apparently, he’s cutting out the UFC’s matchmaking middlemen too.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC's Jeff Novitzky Debunks Jon Jones Controversy | MMAWeekly.com

Following claims that he declared Jon Jones innocent, UFC exec Jeff Novitzky debunked the controversial reports. read news >>

Dana White: Jon Jones Could Have Been UFC Heavyweight Champion | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White hasn't talked to former champ Jon Jones since his failed UFC 214 drug test, but believes Jones could have been the greatest ever. read news >>

Dana White Calls Jon Jones the Biggest Waste of Talent in All of Sports

• a day ago

UFC president Dana White said this week that former light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is the biggest waste of talent in the history of sports. On Tuesday, Jim Edwards of MMAUno passed along White' read news >>

Donald Cerrone welcomes gatekeeper label, but can Darren Till 'get past the gate?'

• a day ago

Donald Cerrone relishes the narrative his UFC Fight Night 118 headliner with Darren Till could be a changing of the guard.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jordon Larson Heads into LFA 25 Shaping His Plans for UFC or Bellator

• a day ago

Jordon Larson (8-3) will look to get a more productive win when he returns to the LFA on Friday to take on Kassius Holdorf (10-4) in a170-pound bout in Omaha. read news >>

Sam Alvey faces 'biggest weight cut of my life' ahead of UFC Fight Night 118

• a day ago

Sam Alvey wants to book a dream fight with Brazilian legend Vitor Belfort next year, but he’ll have to complete a weight cut of more than 34 pounds to get there.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC President Dana White: More divisions isn't the solution to MMA's weight-cutting woes

• a day ago

Dana White remains steadfast in his belief that additional weight classes are unnecessary for the UFC.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Karolina Kowalkiewicz Shares Her Life in UFC Gdansk 'On The Fly' | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Go 'On the Fly' with former title challenger Karolina Kowalkiewicz as she looks to get back in the win column in the co-main event of UFC Fight Night Gdansk. read news >>

Do UFC fighters need managers? Maybe not (until they definitely do)

• a day ago

For a lot of UFC fighters, a manager is like insurance. “You don’t need insurance every day, but when you need it, you really need it.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>