#UFC Fight Night 128 #Kevin Lee #Edson Barboza #Conor McGregor #Jon Jones #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Tony Ferguson #Fight On #Frankie Edgar #Alexander Gustafsson #UFC 223 #UFC 216

UFC 165's Renan Barao: I don't care if the UFC awards me the belt

renan-barao-20.jpgTORONTO – If UFC interim bantamweight champ Renan Barao is tiring of the temporary label attached to his belt, he’s not publicly complaining. For the even-keeled Brazilian, it seems whatever is meant to be will be.

“My life is always step by step,” Barao told MMAjunkie.com through an interpreter. “My focus is on Eddie Wineland, and I don’t think about what’s next. I don’t care about what’s next. My focus is on Saturday.”

Barao (30-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) meets Wineland (20-8-1 MMA, 2-2 UFC) in the co-main event of Saturday’s UFC 165 event, which takes place at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre and airs on pay-per-view. Barao’s interim belt will be on the line, and he’ll hope to successfully defend it a second time.

Oddsmakers favor him heavily to do exactly that, installing him as a 7-to-1 favorite over Wineland, a former WEC titleholder.

Wineland’s chance at victory would seem to come through his crisp striking ability, but Barao doesn’t seem overly concerned.

“He’s a tough guy, a great fighter, a great boxer – but he’s not the best striker I’ve ever fought,” Barao said. “I’ve fought very tough guys in the past, and this will just be another tough fight.”

Many fans seem to feel the same, focusing more on what happens next for Barao rather than what takes place on Saturday night. UFC bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz has been on the shelf for nearly two years, forcing the installation of the belt Barao has now held for 14 months.

Barao backers have suggested it’s time for Cruz to give up the title so the Brazilian can enjoy full champion status, but the 26-year-old with the incredible 30-fight winning streak said he’s not concerned with the UFC’s decision.

“It’s not up to me,” Barao said. “That’s what everybody says, that I’m the champ, but it doesn’t depend on me. It depends on the UFC, so whatever the UFC does, I have to comply with. It’s my job.”

UFC President Dana White has said the he expects Cruz to be healthy enough to fight in early 2014, setting up a title unification fight with the winner of Saturday’s Barao vs. Wineland interim title bout. Inside, Barao likely yearns for that moment. After all, who wouldn’t prefer to be an officially recognized champ rather than a belt-holder of the interim variety? But on the outside, Barao is deflecting any such talk.

“I don’t really care about that,” Barao said. “My job is to train; it’s to fight. The UFC will direct what happens. It’s not up to me. I don’t care.

“For now, I feel great. I’m well-prepared, and I’m expecting to provide a great show on Saturday.”

For more on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Renan Barao Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Tony Ferguson Ahead of UFC 223: 'I Hit the Speed Bag Better Than Canelo' (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Interim UFC lightweight champion Tony Ferguson spoke at length with the MMA media ahead of his UFC 223 headliner with Khabib Nurmagomedov. read news >>

Dana White: Tony Ferguson Requires Surgery, Stripped of Interim Belt | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson not only lost his opportunity to fight at UFC 223 when he injured his knee, UFC president Dana White said that he would also need surgery and lose his interim title. read news >>

Tony Ferguson Details Injury, Doesn't Think He Should Be Stripped of UFC Interim Title | MMAWeekly.com

This time last week, Tony Ferguson was the interim lightweight champ and headed into a fight for the undisputed title. Now he's injured and without a belt. read news >>

Colby Covington vs. Rafael dos Anjos interim title fight announced for UFC 225 in Chicago – not Rio

An interim title fight between Colby Covington and Rafael dos Anjos will take place at UFC 225 in Chicago on June 9. read news >>

Colby Covington vs. Rafael dos Anjos Interim Title Fight Shifted to UFC 225 in Chicago | MMAWeekly.com

The interim welterweight title fight between Colby Covington and Rafael dos Anjos is now set as the co-main event for UFC 225 in Chicago. read news >>

Carlos Condit still interested in fighting Matt Brown – if Brown can stay healthy

Former UFC interim welterweight champion Carlos Condit hasn’t given up on fighting Matt Brown despite two canceled fights. read news >>

Alex Oliveira Taps Out Carlos Condit in Action-Packed Fight (UFC on FOX 29 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Former interim welterweight champion Carlos Condit was originally slated to take on Matt Brown on Saturday at UFC on FOX 29 in Glendale, Arizona, but Brown was forced out of the bout due to injury on read news >>

Carlos Condit after UFC Glendale loss: 'Maybe my time has passed'

Former UFC interim champion and perennial welterweight contender Carlos Condit appears to be considering retirement – or at least a break from competition. read news >>

Carlos Condit after UFC Glendale loss: 'Maybe my time has passed'

Watch UFC Atlantic City headliner Kevin Lee choke out Magomed Mustafaev

On his way to an interim lightweight title shot, Kevin Lee won five straight fights, and an impressive three in a row by rear-naked choke. read news >>

Watch UFC Atlantic City headliner Kevin Lee choke out Magomed Mustafaev

Neil Magny explains why he's a fan of interim UFC title fights

• a day ago

In an age when the volume of interim UFC title fights stirs criticism, UFC welterweight Neil Magny has a different take. read news >>

UFC Chile headliners Kamaru Usman, Santiago Ponzinibbio face off for first time

Promotional efforts are underway for the UFC’s first event in Chile, which features a Kamaru Usman vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio main event. read news >>

Gilbert Burns vs. Dan Moret added to UFC on FOX 29 in Glendale

A lightweight bout between Gilbert Burns and octagon newcomer Dan Moret has been added to UFC on FOX 29. read news >>

UFC Returns to Hamburg, Germany on July 22 | MMAWeekly.com

For the second time, the UFC octagon will travel to Hamburg, Germany. UFC officials announced on Tuesday that the fight promotion will return to Hamburg on Sunday, July 22 for a Fight Night event. UF read news >>

Why Michael Chiesa picks Khabib Nurmagomedov to beat Tony Ferguson at UFC 223

UFC lightweight Michael Chiesa admires the heck out of colleague Tony Ferguson – but still thinks “El Cucuy” will lose to Khabib Nurmagomedov at UFC 223. read news >>