#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #GSP #Michael Bisping

renan-barao-20.jpgTORONTO – If UFC interim bantamweight champ Renan Barao is tiring of the temporary label attached to his belt, he’s not publicly complaining. For the even-keeled Brazilian, it seems whatever is meant to be will be.

“My life is always step by step,” Barao told MMAjunkie.com through an interpreter. “My focus is on Eddie Wineland, and I don’t think about what’s next. I don’t care about what’s next. My focus is on Saturday.”

Barao (30-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) meets Wineland (20-8-1 MMA, 2-2 UFC) in the co-main event of Saturday’s UFC 165 event, which takes place at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre and airs on pay-per-view. Barao’s interim belt will be on the line, and he’ll hope to successfully defend it a second time.

Oddsmakers favor him heavily to do exactly that, installing him as a 7-to-1 favorite over Wineland, a former WEC titleholder.

Wineland’s chance at victory would seem to come through his crisp striking ability, but Barao doesn’t seem overly concerned.

“He’s a tough guy, a great fighter, a great boxer – but he’s not the best striker I’ve ever fought,” Barao said. “I’ve fought very tough guys in the past, and this will just be another tough fight.”

Many fans seem to feel the same, focusing more on what happens next for Barao rather than what takes place on Saturday night. UFC bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz has been on the shelf for nearly two years, forcing the installation of the belt Barao has now held for 14 months.

Barao backers have suggested it’s time for Cruz to give up the title so the Brazilian can enjoy full champion status, but the 26-year-old with the incredible 30-fight winning streak said he’s not concerned with the UFC’s decision.

“It’s not up to me,” Barao said. “That’s what everybody says, that I’m the champ, but it doesn’t depend on me. It depends on the UFC, so whatever the UFC does, I have to comply with. It’s my job.”

UFC President Dana White has said the he expects Cruz to be healthy enough to fight in early 2014, setting up a title unification fight with the winner of Saturday’s Barao vs. Wineland interim title bout. Inside, Barao likely yearns for that moment. After all, who wouldn’t prefer to be an officially recognized champ rather than a belt-holder of the interim variety? But on the outside, Barao is deflecting any such talk.

“I don’t really care about that,” Barao said. “My job is to train; it’s to fight. The UFC will direct what happens. It’s not up to me. I don’t care.

“For now, I feel great. I’m well-prepared, and I’m expecting to provide a great show on Saturday.”

For more on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Renan Barao Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Robert Whittaker Breaks Down Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre (UFC 217) | MMAWeekly.com

Interim middleweight champion Robert Whittaker shares his thoughts on the main event of UFC 217 between Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre. read news >>

Georges St-Pierre is injured, but interim UFC titleholder Robert Whittaker is a patient man

UFC interim middleweight champion Robert Whittaker is apparently a patient man.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC interim champ Robert Whittaker picked Michael Bisping, will wait for Georges St-Pierre

Robert Whittaker favored Michael Bisping to beat Georges St-Pierre at UFC 217, but it looks like he’ll fight GSP instead.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Robert Whittaker: Georges St-Pierre 'looked slower than he's ever been' at UFC 217

If UFC interim middleweight champion Robert Whittaker gets the next crack at Georges St-Pierre, he feels good about his chances.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

MMAjunkie reader predictions: Make your picks for UFC Fight Night 120 in Virginia

We want your predictions for Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 120 event in Norfolk, Va., featuring Anthony Pettis vs. Dustin Poirier.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Volkan Oezdemir on UFC title shot vs. Daniel Cormier: 'Just waiting on a contract to sign'

UFC light heavyweight Volkan Oezdemir just needs to sign the paper to make his fight with champ Daniel Cormier official.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Roberts vs. Westcott, Blachowicz vs. Cannonier added to UFC on FOX 26 in Winnipeg

UFC on FOX 26 additions include a pair of fighters looking to build on recent wins and a replacement opponent making a quick turnaround.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Urijah Faber Says He'd Consider Ending Retirement for TJ Dillashaw Fight

UFC Hall of Famer Urijah Faber may be on the comeback trail. On Tuesday, TMZ Sports noted Faber would "consider coming out of retirement to fight TJ Dillashaw." However, Faber clarified he isn't look read news >>

Gilbert Burns challenges, Olivier Aubin-Mercier accepts for UFC on FOX 27 in Charlotte

Gilbert Burns and Olivier Aubin-Mercier are looking to make life easy for UFC matchmakers.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Norfolk broadcast plans set for FS1, including James Krause's analyst debut

UFC Fight Night 120 goes down Saturday in Norfolk, Va. It features the in-studio analyst debut of a current UFC fighter.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>