#Francis Ngannou #UFC 218 #UFC 220 #Alistair Overeem #UFC Fight Night 124 #Daniel Cormier #Conor McGregor #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Stipe Miocic #UFC 219

UFC 165's Renan Barao: I don't care if the UFC awards me the belt

renan-barao-20.jpgTORONTO – If UFC interim bantamweight champ Renan Barao is tiring of the temporary label attached to his belt, he’s not publicly complaining. For the even-keeled Brazilian, it seems whatever is meant to be will be.

“My life is always step by step,” Barao told MMAjunkie.com through an interpreter. “My focus is on Eddie Wineland, and I don’t think about what’s next. I don’t care about what’s next. My focus is on Saturday.”

Barao (30-1 MMA, 5-0 UFC) meets Wineland (20-8-1 MMA, 2-2 UFC) in the co-main event of Saturday’s UFC 165 event, which takes place at Toronto’s Air Canada Centre and airs on pay-per-view. Barao’s interim belt will be on the line, and he’ll hope to successfully defend it a second time.

Oddsmakers favor him heavily to do exactly that, installing him as a 7-to-1 favorite over Wineland, a former WEC titleholder.

Wineland’s chance at victory would seem to come through his crisp striking ability, but Barao doesn’t seem overly concerned.

“He’s a tough guy, a great fighter, a great boxer – but he’s not the best striker I’ve ever fought,” Barao said. “I’ve fought very tough guys in the past, and this will just be another tough fight.”

Many fans seem to feel the same, focusing more on what happens next for Barao rather than what takes place on Saturday night. UFC bantamweight champ Dominick Cruz has been on the shelf for nearly two years, forcing the installation of the belt Barao has now held for 14 months.

Barao backers have suggested it’s time for Cruz to give up the title so the Brazilian can enjoy full champion status, but the 26-year-old with the incredible 30-fight winning streak said he’s not concerned with the UFC’s decision.

“It’s not up to me,” Barao said. “That’s what everybody says, that I’m the champ, but it doesn’t depend on me. It depends on the UFC, so whatever the UFC does, I have to comply with. It’s my job.”

UFC President Dana White has said the he expects Cruz to be healthy enough to fight in early 2014, setting up a title unification fight with the winner of Saturday’s Barao vs. Wineland interim title bout. Inside, Barao likely yearns for that moment. After all, who wouldn’t prefer to be an officially recognized champ rather than a belt-holder of the interim variety? But on the outside, Barao is deflecting any such talk.

“I don’t really care about that,” Barao said. “My job is to train; it’s to fight. The UFC will direct what happens. It’s not up to me. I don’t care.

“For now, I feel great. I’m well-prepared, and I’m expecting to provide a great show on Saturday.”

For more on UFC 165, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Renan Barao Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Tony Ferguson Continues to Pressure Conor McGregor to Defend or Vacate | MMAWeekly.com

Interim UFC lightweight titleholder Tony Ferguson had a very special Christmas message for lightweight champion Conor McGregor: Defend the belt or give it up. Of course, that's pretty much the same m read news >>

Tony Ferguson Responds to Khabib Nurmagomedov's Challenge Following UFC 219 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC interim lightweight champion Tony Ferguson didn't seem to care much for Khabib Nurmagomedov's challenge following his win at UFC 219 on Saturday night. After putting a three round beat down on Ed read news >>

Renan Barao vs. Brian Kelleher among Orlando's UFC on FOX 28 additions

Some new matchups are set for next month’s UFC on FOX 28 lineup.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Former Champ Renan Barao Returns, Mike Perry Faces Max Griffin at UFC on FOX 28 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC on FOX 28 continues to grow with the addition of former bantamweight champion Renan Barao booking his next fight against Brian Kelleher while noted knockout artist Mike Perry gets back in action read news >>

Robert Whittaker Injured; Luke Rockhold Now Faces Yoel Romero for Interim Title at UFC 221 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 221 has just suffered a major loss. Middleweight champion Robert Whittaker has been forced out of the main event due to an undisclosed injury. With Whittaker out, the UFC has decided to move forw read news >>

Robert Whittaker out of UFC 221; Yoel Romero to fight Luke Rockhold for interim belt

Robert Whittaker is “beyond disappointed” about pulling out of UFC 221. read news >>

Sage Northcutt Faces Thibault Gouti at UFC Fight Night 126 | MMAWeekly.com

21-year-old lightweight prospect Sage Northcutt and Thibault Gouti have signed bout agreements to meet at UFC Fight Night 126 on Feb. 18 in Austin, Texas. read news >>

Daniel Cormier Tempted by Stipe Miocic or Francis Ngannou UFC Fight | MMAWeekly.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier might consider another run at heavyweight before the sun sets on his illustrious career. read news >>

Returning from Botched Bout, Derrick Lewis to Fight at UFC Austin | MMAWeekly.com

After failing to make it to the Octagon on the day of his most recently scheduled fight, Derrick Lewis will try to get back in the cage at UFC Austin. read news >>

Mizuto Hirota vs. Ross Pearson set for UFC 221 in Australia

A pair of lightweights in need of rebounding have been booked to fight each other at UFC 221.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>