#Conor McGregor #UFC 211 #Bellator 179 #Rory MacDonald #Nate Diaz #Paul Daley #Hayder Hassan #Dhiego Lima #Cris Cyborg #Joanna Jedrzejczyk #Jon Jones #UFC 202

john-maguire-2.jpgEnglish lightweight John Maguire (18-5 MMA, 2-2 UFC) and Canadian Mitch Clarke (9-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) both are coming off back-to-back losses inside the octagon.

But to Maguire, their common stat doesn’t mean they enter the cage at UFC 161 on even ground.

“Clarke’s dropped two, and he’s not won a fight in the UFC, and he’s fighting in his own home country,” Maguire told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “So I think the pressure is on him.”

Clarke hails from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, which is a province west of the pay-per-view event’s host in Winnipeg.

“Of course, there’s pressure on me,” said Maguire, who makes the drop from welterweight. “I’m in a new weight class, but if I fight how I know I can fight, I should be fine.”

Indeed, the Brit is turning over a new leaf in the lightweight division after a 2-2 run at welterweight. He’s a bit more sensitive to jokes about food on fight week. But he’s also trying out a new approach to competing, and he plans to try it out when he meets Clarke on the Facebook-streamed prelims of Saturday’s event, which takes place at Winnipeg’s MTS Centre.

“By any means necessary – any way to win,” he said. “No game plan. I always say I’m a thinking fighter. In my last few fights, I’ve taken a backward step and let them dictate it, but I’m going to try to come forward and push the pace.”

Maguire differentiated himself early in his octagon career with an unconventional ground game – dubbed “gypsy jiu-jitsu” after his nomadic background in the U.K. – which he used to earn a “Submission of the Night” bonus in his second UFC bout. But he admits that his job has gotten harder as he’s fought through the ranks.

“But I’m never looking to go to decision,” he said. “I don’t like getting out of the first round because I’m lazy. But the fights that I’ve lost have mostly been decisions. I’m looking to finish this weekend and make a statement.”

On paper, Clarke gives the impression of a submission artist, having won six of his nine fights by way of tap-out. But Maguire believes their recent records aren’t the only unequal things between them going into the fight.

“I’m not the traditional jiu-jitsu guy, so I think my style is a bit awkward to work with,” he said.

Since Clarke has never been submitted in a professional bout, coaxing the tap is just one way for Maguire to prove he’s a cut above his Canadian counterpart.

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Vitor Belfort Reveals UFC Retirement Plan | MMAWeekly.com

Vitor Belfort has unveiled his UFC retirement plan, putting the wraps on a career that has spanned more than two decades. read news >>

What's 14 feet tall, has 4 thumbs, and wants a UFC fight in Rotterdam?

If all goes to plan, the UFC’s upcoming event in the Netherlands could have a big (figuratively and literally) heavyweight fight.Filed under: News read news >>

UFC champ Amanda Nunes' plan? Beat Shevchenko again, then go up to 145

Amanda Nunes’ next challenge will come at 135 pounds. After that, though? The UFC women’s bantamweight champion wants to move up to 145 pounds.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

The Question: What Was the UFC Thinking Feeding Yair Rodriguez to Frankie Edgar?

There are levels to this game. That was Frankie Edgar's message on Saturday at UFC 211 after the former lightweight champion and longtime men's featherweight contender dispatched rising prospect Yair read news >>

UFC boss '100 percent confident' Garbrandt-Dillashaw happens – but 'Mighty Mouse' could be his Plan B

DALLAS – UFC 213 and the bantamweight division are seemingly in a state of flux, but UFC President Dana White isn’t quite ready to worry just yet.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Opening odds: Yoel Romero is a hefty favorite over UFC champ Michael Bisping

Michael Bisping is the underdog against Plan B; the middleweight champion would’ve been the ‘dog even with Plan A, as it turns out.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 211 winner Chase Sherman has plan for future in 'not very stacked' heavyweight division

DALLAS – Chase Sherman avoided the dreaded 0-3 start to a UFC career when he picked up his first octagon victory at UFC 211. Now he knows exactly what he wants out of his career going forward.Filed u read news >>

After huge UFC 211 win over Aguilar, Cortney Casey reflects on struggles to get recognition

DALLAS – UFC strawweight Cortney Casey thinks lack of love from media and fans might stem from her low-key ways: “I think I get more negative stuff out of it than anything, but I live a simple life.” read news >>

UFC champ Stipe Miocic, baddest man on planet, didn't want to inflict unnecessary pain

With his record-tying second UFC heavyweight title defense in Saturday’s UFC 211 headliner, Stipe Miocic clearly can inflict damage. He just doesn’t want to do it unnecessarily.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After UFC 211 win, Jason Knight got confirmation from opponent: 'You broke my arm'

You won’t find a bigger believer in Chas Skelly’s talent and toughness than his recent UFC 211 opponent, Jason Knight.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>