#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Gokhan Saki #Ovince St. Preux #Conor McGregor #Yushin Okami #UFC Fight Night 83

john-maguire-2.jpgEnglish lightweight John Maguire (18-5 MMA, 2-2 UFC) and Canadian Mitch Clarke (9-2 MMA, 0-2 UFC) both are coming off back-to-back losses inside the octagon.

But to Maguire, their common stat doesn’t mean they enter the cage at UFC 161 on even ground.

“Clarke’s dropped two, and he’s not won a fight in the UFC, and he’s fighting in his own home country,” Maguire told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “So I think the pressure is on him.”

Clarke hails from Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, which is a province west of the pay-per-view event’s host in Winnipeg.

“Of course, there’s pressure on me,” said Maguire, who makes the drop from welterweight. “I’m in a new weight class, but if I fight how I know I can fight, I should be fine.”

Indeed, the Brit is turning over a new leaf in the lightweight division after a 2-2 run at welterweight. He’s a bit more sensitive to jokes about food on fight week. But he’s also trying out a new approach to competing, and he plans to try it out when he meets Clarke on the Facebook-streamed prelims of Saturday’s event, which takes place at Winnipeg’s MTS Centre.

“By any means necessary – any way to win,” he said. “No game plan. I always say I’m a thinking fighter. In my last few fights, I’ve taken a backward step and let them dictate it, but I’m going to try to come forward and push the pace.”

Maguire differentiated himself early in his octagon career with an unconventional ground game – dubbed “gypsy jiu-jitsu” after his nomadic background in the U.K. – which he used to earn a “Submission of the Night” bonus in his second UFC bout. But he admits that his job has gotten harder as he’s fought through the ranks.

“But I’m never looking to go to decision,” he said. “I don’t like getting out of the first round because I’m lazy. But the fights that I’ve lost have mostly been decisions. I’m looking to finish this weekend and make a statement.”

On paper, Clarke gives the impression of a submission artist, having won six of his nine fights by way of tap-out. But Maguire believes their recent records aren’t the only unequal things between them going into the fight.

“I’m not the traditional jiu-jitsu guy, so I think my style is a bit awkward to work with,” he said.

Since Clarke has never been submitted in a professional bout, coaxing the tap is just one way for Maguire to prove he’s a cut above his Canadian counterpart.

For the latest on UFC 161, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Comments

UFC 215 contingency plan? Valentina Shevchenko doesn't even want to think about it

Itd be reasonable for Valentina Shevchenko to fear another scratch with Amanda Nunes. But she is putting that possibility out of her mind.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215's Alex White doesn't mind Mitch Clarke stole a little of his thunder

UFC 215’s Alex White can’t bring himself to be too mad that opponent Mitch Clarke stole some of his thunder by retiring. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215 results: Alex White picks apart, devastates Mitch Clarke on the feet

In his second fight in the UFC’s lightweight division, former featherweight Alex White shined, dominating Mitch Clarke on the feet en route to a second-round stoppage.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Mitch Clarke Announces Retirement from MMA Following Loss at UFC 215 | MMAWeekly.com

Following a tough second round TKO loss on Saturday night at UFC 215, Mitch Clarke announced his retirement from mixed martial arts. It was an emotional moment for the veteran fighter as he was compe read news >>

Mitch Clarke gave a very Canadian retirement speech after UFC 215 loss

Mitch Clarke managed a retirement speech that was as about as gracious and polite – and, let’s just say it, Canadian – as any we’ve ever heard.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Alex White Retires Mitch Clarke (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Alex White's victory over Mitch Clarke at UFC 215 on Saturday in Edmonton. read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson's plan? It still involves Ray Borg – for now

Demetrious Johnson is waiting to see if his manager and the UFC can reschedule a fight with Ray Borg at UFC 216. But he can only wait so long. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215 results: Rafael dos Anjos runs through Neil Magny to stake title claim

Former UFC lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos may soon find himself challenging for a welterweight belt following an impressive first-round finish of Neil Magny.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Rafael dos Anjos' submission of Neil Magny at UFC 215

See how Twitter reacted to Rafael dos Anjos’ first-round submission of Neil Magny at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Walks Through Neil Magny (UFC 215 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Former lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos moved up to the welterweight division for his last fight after suffering back-to-back losses in the 155-pound division. He defeated Tarec Saffiedine in Ju read news >>