Heavyweight prospect Stipe Miocic earned the biggest victory of his career on Saturday night, when the 30-year-old battered Roy Nelson in the co-main event of UFC 161.

Miocic controlled the bout from its opening minutes, using fleet footwork and accurate combinations to sting his opponent while avoiding retaliatory fire. Nelson, meanwhile, appeared to fatigue rapidly, chasing Miocic around the cage to little avail.

“I caught him a few times. I think I wobbled him in the beginning, and I knew I belonged here,” Miocic told Fox Sports after his victory at MTS Centre in Winnipeg. “He caught me with one good punch, but I felt fine. I knew exactly what was going on, so i just spun around and was good to go.”

Miocic truly found his rhythm in round two, firing flurries that continually snapped Nelson’s head back. Nevertheless, in spite of the great punishment doled out by his opponent, the ever-durable “Big Country” continued to plod forward in search of a home run shot as Miocic tightened his attack in the third.

“I was being smart. I knew he was going to go for the kill,” said Miocic. “I was up two rounds to none, so I knew he was going to come take my head off.”

The victory returns Miocic to his winning ways after suffering the first loss of his pro career last September in a knockout defeat at the hands of lanky Dutchman Stefan Struve. Though difficult to swallow at the time, Miocic stated that the lessons learned from that setback helped him prove the bookmakers wrong and defeat the favored Nelson tonight.

“I should have been here in the first place. I had a fall last time, but it’s okay. It was a little trip. No big deal,” said Miocic. “I think everyone [changes mindset], after their first loss -- or any kind of loss. Don’t [try to] live up to the hype -- just fight.” With Miocic’s one-sided unanimous decision victory over the former IFL champion now secure, the Ohioan may soon find himself in more marquee heavyweight matchups, a prospect that suits Miocic just fine.

“I know how good I am. I know I can do [well] in this division,” Miocic said. “I believe I belong in the top 10, and I showed it tonight.”

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Jason Knight vs. Alex Caceres

In the biggest fight of his career, Jason Knight came through with flying colors, and “The Kid” may have graduated to manhood at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

Stipe Miocic Set to Defend Heavyweight Title at UFC 211 | MMAWeekly.com

Stipe Miocic will next put his heavyweight championship on the line against Junior dos Santos at UFC 211. read news >>

Report: Fabricio Werdum-Ben Rothwell will join champ Stipe Miocic vs. Junior Dos Santos at UFC 211

Everything’s bigger in Texas, they say. So the UFC’s return to the “Lone Star State” in May looks like it will have plenty of big men on the top of the bill. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Scratched from UFC 208 due to eye issue, Luis Henrique says his career options now limited

Luis Henrique said his career options have dwindled after he was pulled from Saturday’s UFC 208 lineup. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Anderson Silva is Brazil's Biggest Idol (UFC 208 video) | MMAWeekly.com

On Episode 1 of UFC 208 Embedded, middleweight great Anderson Silva hits the gym in Rio de Janeiro in advance of his UFC 208 bout. read news >>

Champ Stipe Miocic official for UFC 211 rematch vs. Junior Dos Santos; relive first fight inside

It’s official: Heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic will headline UFC 211 in Texas against former champ Junior Dos Santos in May. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Opening odds: Champ Stipe Miocic more than 2-1 favorite over Junior Dos Santos in UFC 211 rematch

Heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic has a four-fight winning streak since his most recent setback, which came to Junior Dos Santos a little more than two years ago. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Inside the impressive career facts and figures for UFC 208 co-headliner Anderson Silva

Former longtime pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva once again returns to the octagon on Saturday when he takes on Derek Brunson in the UFC 208 co-main event. Get a look at his impressive career numb read news >>

Holm, de Randamie look for career-defining wins; Silva, Brunson want more at UFC 208

Everyone that steps into the Octagon does so for their own reasons, but next Saturday night at Barclays Center, Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie will enter the UFC’s eight-sided proving ground wit read news >>