#UFC Fight Night 55 #UFC 217 #GSP #Fabricio Werdum #Michael Bisping #Marcin Tybura

LAS VEGAS – In a meeting of recent winners of “The Ultimate Fighter,” Robert Whittaker had the Kryptonite to Colton Smith’s smothering style.

Expertly countering Smith’s charges, Whittaker bloodied and stopped him early in the third round.

The welterweight bout was part of today’s UFC 160 event at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. It aired on FX following additional prelims on Facebook and prior to a main card on pay-per-view.

With his right fist cocked by his chin, Whittaker, who won “The Ultimate Fighter: Australia vs. U.K.,” knew exactly what the wanted to do from the outset: stop the takedown. And stop it he did for much of the first round, sneaking in quick punches as “TUF 16? winner Smith closed the distance.

Whittaker was so focused on avoiding the takedown, he several times neglected to defend himself, and Smith capitalized with a few well-timed punches. A right hand dropped Whittaker, setting up a near-submission at the end of the first frame.

Smith immediately fought for the takedown early in the second and paid for it when Whittaker landed a left hand that wobbled him. He repaid the favor on several occasions, however, when Whittaker again left himself exposed to lead right hands. But despite a near-completed takedown midway through the frame, Whittaker continued to have success counter-striking. By the end of the frame, Smith’s face showed the bloody results of Whittaker’s punches.

Whittaker’s strategy won him the fight early in the third as Smith charged and caught a left hook to the jaw that prompted referee Chris Tognoni to intervene at the 0:41 mark of the third.

“I was hitting him a lot, so I’m thankful they stopped it when they did,” Whittaker said. “The referee is there to prevent injuries, and that’s exactly what he did. He clipped me good and shocked me a little, but I got my defenses up. I considered it good shot and I just tried to give him 10 back for every one that he gave me.”

“Robert Whittaker and I were throwing down in there for the fans,” Smith said. “I’ve been called a boring fighter in the past, and I really wanted to go in there and throw this time. We both knocked each other down. I was coherent when he dropped me and I could’ve gone five more rounds if needed. I’d love to have that third round back, but you don’t get second chances in the octagon. Even though I disagree with the referee’s decision, I respect how difficult their job is and I understand why they make the choices they make.”

Whittaker (11-2 MMA, 2-0 UFC) begins his post-reality show career on a high note while Smith (3-2 MMA, 1-1 UFC) suffers the second loss of his short pro career.

Up-to-the-minute UFC 160 results include:

For complete coverage of UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

John Morgan and Matt Erickson contributed to this report on-site in Las Vegas.

Comments

'TUF 26' roundtable: Cast members reflect on season to date, preview what's to come

With “The Ultimate Fighter 26” on hiatus this week, apparently for some sort of baseball contest, take a moment to reflect on what’s happened thus far with a few of the season’s cast members.Filed un read news >>

After D'Arce choke win, Vicente Luque wants recent UFC main-event winner Darren Till next

After taking advantage of a short-notice opportunity, Vicente Luque has lofty aspirations for his next outing.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Get To Know TUF Cast: Christina Marks

Christina Marks makes her debut on this season of The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion when she takes on Emily Whitmere on Wednesday at 10pm ET on FS1. read news >>

Quick Submission Concludes TUF 26 Preliminary Round | MMAWeekly.com

The seventh episode of The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion featured the final preliminary round bout and set the quarterfinal match-ups. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 Results: The Real Winners and Losers from Machida vs Brunson

The exit of the dragon? After two years of inaction, karate poster boy and UFC ex-champ Lyoto Machida stepped into the Octagon again Saturday at UFC Fight Night 119. It feels like decades ago that th read news >>

Dana White: More than Conor McGregor, homophobic slurs by UFC fighters 'definitely a problem'

UFC President Dana White expressed concern about a recent growing trend of UFC fighters using homophobic language.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217 bonuses: Title winners Namajunas, Dillashaw, St-Pierre get extra $50,000

Rose Namajunas, T.J. Dillashaw and Georges St-Pierre each earned $50,000 bonuses for their performances at Saturday’s UFC 217.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217's 'Paulo Borrachinha' is now 'Paulo Costa' – and it's rubber-related

Meeting a former UFC champ in a pay-per-view main-card opener at Madison Square Garden is fine and all, but Brazil’s Paulo Costa – formerly Paulo Borrachinha – wants more.Filed under: News, UFC, Vide read news >>

Paige VanZant claims next fight vs. 'TUF 26' winner (for title?); UFC says nope

Does Paige VanZant believe she’s getting a title shot in her first fight at 125 pounds?Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217 results: Paulo Costa continues to shine, stops Johny Hendricks in second

Paulo Costa got a name change earlier this week, but it certainly didn’t affect his performance.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>