sara-mcmann-2.jpgSara McMann’s initial reaction to her first UFC opponent, Sheila Gaff, wasn’t delight, but pause.

“At first I had to think about her because I didn’t think she was in my weight class,” McMann told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But I thought I saw her fight as high as 145. If she’s comfortable fighting that high, 135 is no problem.”

McMann (6-0 MMA, 0-0 UFC) and Gaff (10-4-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) meet April 27 at UFC 159, which takes place at Newark, N.J.’s Prudential Center. Main-card fights air on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

McMann, an Olympic silver medalist and one of the first 10 female bantamweights signed to the UFC, is used to big challenges on the wrestling mat and inside the cage, where she’s ranked in the top 10 of her division.

Gaff, though, was a different type of challenge, as she soon saw.

Immediately after accepting the bout, McMann hunted for footage on the German fighter and found her most recent bout. Gaff’s opponent tried to touch gloves and instead fielded a swarm of punches and knees that left her flat on her back, unconscious.

Is she ready for that?

“I usually don’t touch gloves, so I didn’t really think about it,” McMann said. “Even other people touching gloves, there’s always a risk for anybody doing that. That’s why I assume that when you touch gloves in the beginning, that’s when you’re touching gloves. I don’t start out slow, so I don’t worry about it.”

McMann said it won’t make much of a difference whether Gaff fights dirty or fair when they meet.

“People do that in wrestling, so I guess I’ll just be a little more aware of it so it doesn’t throw me off my game,” she said. “Sometimes the ref catches it, and sometimes they don’t. I really go out there more for my game plan.”

McMann, 32, could have a significant weight advantage over the 23-year-old Gaff, who usually fights at 125 pounds. And her wrestling style should pair well with the German’s blitz.

“I like a high, intense pace too,” she said. “That’s good for me. I didn’t see a lot of her ground work. It’s intense, which is what the UFC wants to see. They want people who are exciting and getting after it, so I think that’s good.”

She also expects prime placement for their octagon debut. One of her manager’s conditions for accepting a fight in the promotion was a spot on the event’s PPV main card, so she anticipates a big audience.

Previously, she fought for the upstart Invicta FC promotion, where crowds were smaller. If her measured tones are any indication, fighting at the 18,000-seat Prudential Center shouldn’t be an issue.

“I think it would be something that I’m really comfortable with,” McMann said. “A lot of my competitions in wrestling toward the latter end of my career were all higher level matches. Fighting on smaller things was kind of an adjustment for me to get myself up and get myself ready. But going back to the higher level, pressure situations is kind of comfortable to me.”

For more on UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

Cerrone vs. Masvidal Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

Donald Cerrone’s Cinderella march through the welterweight division encountered its first bit of adversity Saturday at UFC on Fox 23. Jorge Masvidal dashed Cerrone’s four-fight winning streak at 170 read news >>

Relive Jorge Masvidal's Backyard Fights vs. Kimbo Slice's Protege

This past Saturday at UFC on Fox 23, Jorge Masvidal put on the most impressive performance of his 14-year professional MMA career. His opponent, Donald Cerrone, had been knocked out only twice in his read news >>

Decade-Long UFC Veteran Thiago Tavares Exits Promotion | MMAWeekly.com

After spending the past decade under the UFC banner, Thiago Tavares has inked a multi-fight deal with a Brazilian promotion. read news >>

USA TODAY Sports/MMAjunkie Rankings, Jan. 31: Shevchenko-Pena flip-flop, Masvidal makes big leap

This past Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event in Denver saw some shifts in the balance of a couple divisions. Filed under: Bellator, MMA Rankings, News, UFC, WSOF read news >>

Dana White promises extra cash for UFC on FOX 23's unofficial 'Fight of the Night'

At this past Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event, the night’s four main-card winners were all deservedly presented with $50,000 “Performance of the Night” bonuses. But a pair of welterweights will also be read news >>

Grasso vs. Herrig Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 104

Felice Herrig warned before UFC Fight Night 104 that she would be more than just a measuring stick for up-and-coming strawweight star Alexa Grasso, per Fox Sports' Damon Martin. Saturday night during read news >>

Bermudez vs. Korean Zombie Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC Fight Night 104

The Korean Zombie is back, ladies and gentlemen! After an incredibly long layoff, featherweight Chan Sung Jung overcame the odds and scored a gorgeous first-round knockout win at the expense of No. 9 read news >>

Mike Jackson to CM Punk: 'Let's see who the real can is'

Mike Jackson didn’t show up to this past Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 104 event to push a fight with Phil “CM Punk” Brooks. He was just there to work.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Holly Holm won't map out future past UFC 208: 'Every fight should be treated like it's my last fight'

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Holly Holm can’t tell for certain how the women’s featherweight division is going to ultimately pan out but is optimistic about its future: “We’re going to start to see a lot of 145- read news >>