#Conor McGregor #UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Nate Diaz #Jon Jones #David Branch #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #Saturday Night Fights

NEWARK, N.J. – For three full rounds, Phil Davis used his rangy striking attack to pick apart Vinny Magalhaes on the feet, all while using his vaunted wrestling game purely to stay out of the jiu-jitsu champion’s realm of expertise.

The result was a unanimous-decision victory (via 30-27, 30-27 and 29-28 scores) for the former NCAA Division I national wrestling champion Davis, whose jab proved to be a riddle that Magalhaes could not solve.

The light-heavyweight bout was part of the main card of today’s UFC 159 event at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J. It aired on pay-per-view following prelims on FX and Facebook.

Davis briefly seemed to have Magalhaes in trouble after a head kick in the first round, but he was content to stay on the outside and batter Magalhaes from a distance. Afterward, Davis thanked Magalhaes for engaging him in a pre-fight back-and-forth that he said elevated his game leading up to the fight.

“I really wanted to go out there and make a statement to the fans that I’m in the top 10 and I’m not going anywhere,” Davis said. “Tonight was about precision and risk management. I’m not going to shoot for takedowns that I can miss. I’d rather be precise with my techniques.

“I was playing it smart in there because Vinny is dangerous on the ground. My striking is coming along, but it’s not quite there yet. To me I’m brand new in this sport, and I’m still young. I’m just going to keep practicing hard every day because that’s what I love to do.”

Davis (11-1 MMA, 7-1 UFC) gets his second win in a row thanks to the clean sweep on the scorecards. Magalhaes (10-6 MMA, 1-3 UFC) suffers his first loss since 2010, and his first since his return to the UFC.

Up-to-the-minute UFC 159 results include:

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Matt Erickson and Steven Marrocco contributed to this report on-site in Newark.

Comments

Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jones Cheated | MMAWeekly.com

UFC champion Jon Jones is in the midst facing what could be yet another setback in his life, but his manager refuses to believe he cheated. read news >>

Video: UFC 215, UFC 216 media day face-offs, where Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee get heated

The UFC today hosted a media event to promote September’s UFC 216 and October’s UFC 217 fight cards, which feature three championship bouts in total. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Johnson vs. Borg, Nunes vs. Shevchenko Face Off Ahead of Double Title Fight at UFC 215 | MMAWeekly.com

Two titles will go up for grabs at UFC 215 as Demetrious Johnson takes on Ray Borg and Amanda Nunes faces Valentina Shevchenko after they were originally scheduled to meet in July. On Thursday, all f read news >>

Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee Engage in Heated Face Off Ahead of UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee had to be separated by UFC president Dana White on Thursday after a heated face off during a media day in Las Vegas. Ferguson will face Lee to crown a new interim lightwei read news >>

Is Dana White's Relationship with Jon Jones Over? | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White briefly talked about his relationship with Jon Jones with the press at the UFC 215 216 media day on Thursday. TRENDING > Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jon read news >>

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White More Nervous About Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather Than Any Other Fight Ever | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White is more nervous about Conor McGregor's boxing bout against Floyd Mayweather Jr. than any other fight... ever. read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor Odds: Latest Fight Lines for Money vs. Notorious

Floyd Mayweather Jr. will come out of retirement to face UFC superstar Conor McGregor in a boxing megafight in Las Vegas on Saturday. Notorious is switching fight codes and will make his professional read news >>

Conor McGregor Nutritionist Says He'll Have No Trouble Making Weight

Conor McGregor's nutritionist said Thursday that the UFC Lightweight champion will have no problem making weight Friday for his 154-pound boxing clash with Floyd Mayweather Jr. on Saturday. According read news >>

Conor McGregor: 'Essentially, I Am Representing the UFC' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC lightweight champ Conor McGregor talks about his training at the UFC Performance Institute days before his boxing debut against Floyd Mayweather Jr. read news >>