#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Claudia Gadelha #Jessica Andrade #Bellator MMA #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Conor McGregor #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley

chael-sonnen-35.jpgNEWARK, N.J. – With his third attempt at winning a UFC title his yet, Chael Sonnen hinted in the octagon with announcer Joe Rogan he might be done fighting.

But pressed for some clarification after the main event at UFC 159, which took place at Prudential Center in Newark, N.J., Sonnen said he hadn’t yet decided what path he’ll take.

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones (18-1 MMA, 12-1 UFC) stopped Sonnen (27-13-1 MMA, 6-6 UFC) with a TKO deep in the first round, and he then discovered after the fight that he broken his left big toe.

“I’m definitely not (prepared to make up my mind yet),” Sonnen told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) at the post-event news confernece. “What am I going to do? I’m terrible. I lost to (Jones and middleweight champion Anderson Silva). What are they going to do? Put me in with Wanderlei Silva? Who else am I supposed to beat around here? I’ve had a lot of fights and they haven’t all gone my way. But I’ve only been beat up twice, and that was No. 2. And he beat me at my own game. It’s frustrating. It’s tough, and that’s it.”

Sonnen twice had Anderson Silva in trouble in 185-pound title fights, but twice Silva prevailed at UFC 117 and UFC 148. This past August, when Dan Henderson had to pull out of a title fight with Jones, Sonnen tried to step up. But Jones turned down the fight and UFC 151 was canceled.

In the wake of that historic moment, the UFC paired Sonnen and Jones against each other as coaches on “The Ultimate Fighter,” then set up the title fight that nearly took place more than eight months earlier.

The consensus was that Sonnen’s path to success against Jones would be to take him down, the way he was able to do against Silva in their first fight. Instead, Jones came forward immediately and had Sonnen on the canvas just 10 seconds into the fight.

That Jones was able to use Sonnen’s best-laid plans to win frustrated Sonnen all the more.

“I had to watch the replay,” he told MMAjunkie.com. “He was in on my leg before he knew it. I don’t know how he set it up, if he threw a punch. I don’t know what happened. He was just on my leg. I’ve been in that spot my whole life. I got up and he hit it again, and I got up and he hit it again. I’ve only been taken down three times in my career. He took me down three times in one round.”

Sonnen said had the fight gone longer – he was stopped with just 27 seconds left in the first round – things may have turned out differently.

“It’s tough – I wanted more, and I wanted to feel more of him,” Sonnen said. “I was impressed with him from the start, and I wanted more. That’s what happens with anybody. You just wish you had a few more moments.”

As he largely was in the days leading up to the fight, Sonnen eschewed his trash talk for compliments lobbed Jones’ way.

And as for whether or not Jones truly is better than Silva, which Sonnen expected him to be prior the fight, that question was answered, as far as Sonnen is concerned.

“He’s a lot better than I thought he was,” Sonnen said. “To beat a guy at his own game … he’s the best fighter I ever fought.”

With the win, Jones tied the UFC record for most consecutive light heavyweight title defenses.

As for Sonnen, who also serves as a co-host on FUEL TV’s “UFC Tonight” program and as a regular analyst for the UFC on FOX shows, time will tell if he decides to continue fighting at either light heavyweight or middleweight, or he’ll resign himself to the broadcast booth.

For complete coverage of UFC 159, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Chael Sonnen Fights

• 3 months ago

Comments

Conor McGregor Says the Boxing Community Disrespected Him | MMAWeekly.com

UFC champion Conor McGregor weighs in on the disrespect that the boxing community showed him in his attempt to crossover into boxing. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 115 headliner Alexander Volkov ready for more contenders with win over Struve

It’s hard to find someone in the heavyweight ranks who can tower over Alexander Volkov. But fair play to the UFC matchmakers: They did it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Why Michel Prazeres isn't mad about UFC champ Conor McGregor's absence

Looking to add a fifth win to his current winning streak on Saturday, lightweight Michel Prazeres has his sights on a rematch with contender Kevin Lee.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Sean Shelby's Shoes: What's next for Alexander Volkov and UFC-Rotterdam's other winning fighters?

MMAjunkie’s Mike Bohn plays matchmaker for the UFC Fight Night 115 main card winners from Rotterdam, Netherlands.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Fight Night 115 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 115 event in Rotterdam, Netherlands, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media. Check out some of those reactions.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Wants to Set 'Legendary' Records Before Changing Divisions | MMAWeekly.com

On Saturday night at UFC 215, Demetrious Johnson will attempt to set the all-time record for title defenses in the UFC when he faces Ray Borg while putting his flyweight championship on the line for read news >>

Donald Cerrone vs. Darren Till expected for UFC Fight Night 118 headliner in Poland

A welterweight headliner between two striking specialists is expected to serve as the headliner for UFC Fight Night 118.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Mitch Clarke Announces Retirement from MMA Following Loss at UFC 215 | MMAWeekly.com

Following a tough second round TKO loss on Saturday night at UFC 215, Mitch Clarke announced his retirement from mixed martial arts. It was an emotional moment for the veteran fighter as he was compe read news >>

Mitch Clarke gave a very Canadian retirement speech after UFC 215 loss

Mitch Clarke managed a retirement speech that was as about as gracious and polite – and, let’s just say it, Canadian – as any we’ve ever heard.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg scratched from UFC 215 headliner

No, seriously. The planned headliner for Saturday’s event between UFC flyweight champion and Ray Borg has been called off less than 12 hours before the fighters were set to hit the scales.Filed under read news >>