#UFC Fight Night 55 #Fabricio Werdum #Marcin Tybura #UFC 217 #GSP #Michael Bisping

johny-hendricks-18.jpgMONTREAL – Carlos Condit isn’t sure if his UFC 158 co-main event is a welterweight title-eliminator. However, his opponent, Johny Hendricks, is pretty confident in his belief it is.

If Hendricks (14-1 MMA, 9-1 UFC) beats Condit (28-6 MMA, 5-2 UFC), he said he’s a shoo-in for UFC welterweight Georges St-Pierre or challenger Nick Diaz, who meet in Saturday’s UFC 158 pay-per-view headliner at Montreal’s Bell Centre.

“I’ve got to get past Carlos Condit,” Hendricks said. “Once I do, it’s GSP time. If I beat Carlos Condit, nobody is in my way. GPS can’t hide forever. … [Condit] just got done fighting GSP, so that’s still fresh in everyone’s mind, so if I can go out there and do good against Carlos Condit, there’s nothing in my way.”

Hendricks initially believed his latest win – a 46-second knockout of Martin Kampmann that marked his fifth straight UFC victory – was enough to earn him a shot at the belt. But St-Pierre instead shifted hit attention to Diaz, who was coming off an interim-title loss to Condit and a one-year suspension due to a failed drug test. The champ said he wanted the fight because Diaz was so “disrespectful” and because he wanted to teach him a lesson.

Hendricks, though, said St-Pierre had ulterior motives, and it’s why he wants the shot.

“I want to look across the octagon and say, ‘You have not faced anyone like me,’” Hendricks said. “Isn’t that what [St-Pierre's] little quote is, ‘You haven’t faced anybody like me,’ right? Bulls—. You never faced anyone like me. That’s why you didn’t take the fight.”

If he sounds confrontational or antagonistic with those remarks, it’s for good reason. Hendricks knows he was likely passed over because UFC officials and St-Pierre saw the big-talking Diaz as a more marketable opponent. This time around, Hendricks isn’t biting his tongue.

Then again, he’s also not losing his focus. While he wants a chance to defeat St-Pierre, he said any animosity he feels toward the champ would dissipate if he loses to Diaz.

“I don’t care about Georges,” he said. “Georges St-Pierre, he’s got the belt, so I want him. That’s why I want him. If he moves up (a weight class), then guess what: I don’t care. I don’t care about him or anyone else except for that thing they wrap around their waist.”

In fact, while most 170-pounders see St-Pierre as the man to beat, Hendricks believes his own body of work is more impressive. St-Pierre is on a 10-fight win streak with seven consecutive title defenses. But Hendricks, who’s 11-1 under the Zuffa banner, believe he’s giving fans what they want. And that’s why he doesn’t believe he’d need any other win but the one over Condit in order to get his title shot.

“I don’t need to do anything else,” he said. “I’ve done more than GSP has. Everybody [he's] fought, I’ve fought, and I’ve knocked a couple of them out.”

Hendricks is clearly fired up as fight day approaches. The usually mild-mannered fighter knows the squeaky wheel gets the grease. He’s talking a big game because that’s what it takes to get noticed, and he doesn’t want passed over again.

Hendricks, though, said he can keep his emotions in check. But he said he won’t put up with St-Pierre ducking him again.

“It’s never, never out of emotion, and it’s never out of anger,” he told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I don’t give a crap what he did. It’s in the past. But the thing is it can’t happen again.”

For more on UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Galleries

Carlos Condit Fights

• a year ago

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC Fight Night 119 Demian Maia vs. Colby Covington Co-Main Event Preview (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Preview the welterweight bout between contenders Demian Maia and Colby Covington set for UFC Fight Night 119 in Sao Paulo, Brazil on Saturday. read news >>

UFC 217 results: Paulo Costa continues to shine, stops Johny Hendricks in second

Paulo Costa got a name change earlier this week, but it certainly didn’t affect his performance.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Paulo Costa Batters Johny Hendricks to Remain Undefeated (UFC 217 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Paulo Costa wants to be the next Brazilian legend in mixed martial arts and the unbeaten middleweight added to his legacy on Saturday by finishing former welterweight champion Johny Hendricks on the read news >>

UFC Sao Paul Workouts: Lyoto Machida, Derek Brunson, Demian Maia, and Colby Covington | MMAWeekly.com

The UFC Fight Night 119 main and co-main event fighters put on quite the show for fans in Sao Paulo, Brazil, on Wednesday. read news >>

UFC 217's Johny Hendricks reports this time he's not sick, not fat – just chillin'

Johny Hendricks claims all systems are a go for a must-win fight against Paulo Borrachinha at UFC 217. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch Montreal Canadiens fans give UFC champ Georges St-Pierre a rousing ovation

The love for new UFC middleweight champ Georges St-Pierre continues from Canada.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Video: Johny Hendricks' comical UFC 217 weigh-in included an underwear disclaimer

Even when he makes weight, Johny Hendricks knows how to bring some drama to a UFC weigh-in. This time, though, he also brought some laughs.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

More superstars, more problems? Why Conor McGregor's demands could be a UFC game-changer

Conor McGregor is no longer just another UFC fighter – now he wants to be part-owner and co-promoter. It’s his superstardom that has led him here, and it’s the same superstardom that the UFC counts o read news >>

Georges St-Pierre: Training with Freddie Roach 'a fighter's fantasy' ahead of UFC 217

Freddie Roach steps into an unfamiliar field of combat this weekend, when he emerges as a fascinating subplot behind one of the UFC’s most intriguing bouts of the year.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

'UFC 217 Embedded,' No. 5: 'Believe me, I'm taking your soul with me'

Go behind the scenes with the fighters of UFC 217 as the event draws near.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>