#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva #Demetrious Johnson #Quinton Jackson #Fight Night Rotterdam

darren-elkins-6.jpgFour straight wins is the mark many fighters have hit to get a UFC title shot, unless you’re a former champ migrating to another division, or you have highlight-reel finishes to spare.

Darren Elkins (15-2 MMA, 5-1 UFC) could pick up win No. 5 if he beats Antonio Carvalho (15-5 MMA, 2-1 UFC) at UFC 158, and yet most consider him a dark horse in the in the featherweight division.

“It doesn’t really bother me,” he told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “I try to focus on the things that I can focus on. That’s not my decision.

“If I let it get to me, it’s kind of a lost cause. Why I keep this streak going is I focus on one fight at a time. I don’t get ahead of myself. If I keep taking care of business, I’ll be there.”

UFC 158 takes place March 16 at Bell Centre in Montreal. Carvalho vs. Elkins serves on the FX-televised prelims following additional prelims on Facebook and main-card fights on pay-per-view.

Of course, it isn’t hard to make sense of the UFC’s decisions when looking at title contenders. Those who do big business or have recent high-profile wins get the best opportunities. To get to his current position, Elkins bested Michihiro Omigawa, Zhang Tiequan, Diego Brandao and Steven Siler, none of whom are ranked at 145 pounds.

Meanwhile, featherweight Ricardo Lamas boasts four straight wins and is considered to be on the cusp of a title shot if he wins a rumored fight with Chan Sung Jung.

Elkins, though, doesn’t dispute that he has work to do before he’s thought of in the same way.

“I think he fought tougher guys on paper,” Elkins said of Lamas. “Obviously, he beat Hioki, who was ranked No. 2 at the time, so that gave him a lot of notice. He beat Cub Swanson, and he has a few more finishes than I do.”

Elkins, in fact, has no finishes at featherweight, but he’s working on changing that against Carvalho, who most recently bested Rodrigo Damm via split decision at UFC 154.

“I think he’s a hell of a fighter,” Elkins said of Carvalho. “He’s beat some really top guys. He’s really low-key. I’m low-key, too. I’m not a guy who gets on Twitter to talk. But his fight style, he brings it.

“I definitely feel like I’ve got momentum, but I definitely can’t relax. Once you start getting that type of streak, you let your guard down sometimes, and that’s not what I want to do. An opponent like Carvalho is very dangerous, so I’ve got to stay on my toes and take nobody lightly.”

And if he gets the chance to fight champ Jose Aldo, Elkins said he’ll make the best of it.

“Obviously, if you want to be the best, you’ve got to beat the best,” he said. “[Aldo has] definitely been up there for a long time. If you beat a champ like that, you’ve really got a name for yourself.”

For more on UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Galleries

Jose Aldo Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk hopes to break Ronda Rousey's record – 125 then possible

Although her focus is on UFC 217 opponent Rose Namajunas, champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk is still considering a move up to flyweight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Syuri Kondo Wins Tough Battle in a Close Call (UFC Japan Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Syuri Kondo's narrow decision victory over Chan-Mi Jeon at UFC Fight Night 117 on Friday in Japan. read news >>

Kevin Lee Explains Why He Hopes Tony Ferguson Can Survive to the Championship Rounds at UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee isn't lacking confidence ahead of his first title fight at UFC 216 read news >>

Charles Rosa hopes to get rebooked soon after UFC Fight Night 117 scratch

Featherweight Charles Rosa said the promotion compensated him in spite of his canceled fight against Mizuto Hirota at UFC Fight Night 117.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216 Results: Tony Ferguson Wins Lightweight Title Via Submission

After almost a year of relative inactivity in the lightweight division, the 155-pound weight class has an interim champion in Tony Ferguson. El Cucuy defeated Kevin Lee to claim the interim belt via read news >>

UFC 217 Extended Preview: Michael Bisping Has Been Racking Up Wins; What About Georges St-Pierre? | MMAWeekly.com

Take a deeper look into UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre, which features three world title fights. read news >>

Despite mixed results, high hopes for ex-UFC fighters in Bellator

It hasn’t been smooth sailing so far for Benson Henderson or Lorenz Larkin. Roy Nelson tests the waters for the first time at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas, Mike Perry vs. Santiago Ponzinibbio Added to UFC in Winnipeg | MMAWeekly.com

The year end FOX UFC Fight Night card has just added a couple of blockbuster fights. Former featherweight champion Jose Aldo will return to action for the first time since falling to Max Holloway whe read news >>

Jose Aldo vs. Ricardo Lamas rematch co-headlines UFC on FOX 26; Perry-Ponzinibbio, Mein-Silva added

A featherweight rematch from a past title fight has been booked as the co-main event for the UFC’s return to Winnipeg in December.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Aldo's return one of three bouts added to Winnipeg card

The UFC's first featherweight champion, Jose Aldo, begins his road back to the top of the weight class on Dec. 16 when he faces surging contender Ricardo "The Bully" Lamas in a rematch of a 2014 bout read news >>