tj-dillashaw-7.jpgBantamweight T.J. Dillashaw (7-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) didn’t want to knock out Issei Tamura at this past weekend’s UFC 158 event. After he did, the Team Alpha Male product realized he probably cost himself $50,000.

“My gameplan going into this fight was I was thinking I was going to submit the guy,” Dillashaw told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “I thought that was my best chance at a bonus. There were a lot of heavy hitters and exciting fighters on the card. So the time I’m actually thinking about going for submission is the time I get a knockout. Kind of ironic.

“I was willing to take the fight anywhere and be aggressive, but I was just thinking that would be my best chance.”

Tamura’s takedown defense kept Dillahsaw from moving the action to the floor and working his jiu-jitsu game, but on the feet he left an opening, and the Californian delivered with a thudding kick to the head that saw the knee slam into the temple and deposit his foe on the floor.

“I knew he held his hands low,” Dillashaw said. “I already threw a couple head kicks in the first round. I was going for the head kick, and he just dipped into it, as well. It was a little bit of a fake low and change elevation.”

Dillashaw immediately pounced with powerful punches, and the fight was waved off. With the finish not what he had envisioned, Dillashaw was forced to keep his fingers crossed in the locker room as the remaining fights unfolded. Competing on the evening’s preliminary card, there were 10 more fights remaining after Dillashaw’s hand was raised.

His chances at a bonus still looked decent until late into the main card, when Jake Ellenberger scored a crushing knockout of Nate Marquardt. At that point, Dillashaw knew his chances at the bonus check were all but gone.

“I was keeping my fingers crossed,” Dillashaw said. “But then as soon as I saw Ellenberger get the knockout, I was pretty certain it was going to go to him. I was just hoping since there was no submission, they would still give out three bonuses.”

Unfortunately for Dillashaw, the UFC didn’t oblige, and he was left without a bonus check, which he said he likely would have used to buy a house.

“Quit paying rent and make some good investments – that was kind of the plan,” Dillashaw said.

Still, it was an important win for Dillashaw, who is now 3-0 since his loss to John Dodson in the tournament final of “The Ultimate Fighter 14.” He’s likely in line for a top-10 opponent in his next outing. He was supposed to face Mike Easton this past December before injury forced him out of the bout. He’s also got an eye on Alex “Bruce Leeroy” Caceres, who took home UFC on FUEL TV 4's “Submission of the Night” bonus on a night when Dillashaw also earned a tapout.

“He stole my bonus,” Dillashaw said with a laugh.

But whenever the UFC calls, Dillashaw insists he’ll be ready. The bonus plan didn’t pan out, but he’s still focused on climbing to the top of the division.

“I’ve been working hard to try and make my game as well-rounded as possible,” Dillashaw said. “I’d like to fight again as soon as possible, and whoever they want to match me up with, I’m sure they’re going to do pretty well with that.”

For complete coverage of UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Mike Goldberg Might Be Moving to Bellator | FIGHTLAND

Photo by Al Powers/Zuffa LLC This past weekend at UFC 208 there was an air of professionalism and reserve to the proceedings longtime fans of MMA may have found disconcerting. After all, this was the read news >>

Derrick Lewis Punches His Way to an Extra $50,000 (UFC Halifax Bonuses) | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the recipients of the $50,000 fighter bonuses from UFC Halifax following Sunday's event at Scotiabank Centre. read news >>

UFC 208 bonuses: With the only finish on the card, naturally 'Jacare' Souza got an extra $50,000

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Ronaldo Souza, Dustin Poirier and Jim Miller each earned $50,000 fight-night bonuses at Saturday’s UFC 208 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 in Houston tonight: Fight card, start time, results and how to watch online

The UFC shares Houston this weekend with Super Bowl LI, and tonight, Toyota Center hosts “UFC Fight Night 104: Bermudez vs. Korean Zombie.” Here’s how to watch.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 results: Derrick Lewis battles back to knock out Travis Browne

• a day ago

HALIFAX – For five minutes, it looked like Derrick Lewis wasn’t going to show up against Travis Browne. That changed in the second round.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105 bonuses: The craziness that was Derrick Lewis-Travis Browne was worth $50,000

• a day ago

HALIFAX – Derrick Lewis, Travis Browne, Paul Felder and Thiago “Marreta” Santos each earned $50,000 bonuses for their performances at Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 105 event.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

The UFC Performance Institute Is a Break From MMA's Caveman Past | FIGHTLAND

In the midst of sharing practice room war stories from his days at Miletich Fighting Systems, author Sam Sheridan got to the heart of why so many of the gym's UFC champions—Jens Pulver, Matt Hughes, read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 bonuses: Valentina Shevchenko, Jorge Masvidal among $50,000 extra winners

DENVER – All four main-card winners picked up $50,000 extra checks for their performances at UFC on FOX 23 on Saturday night. [autotag]Valentina Shevchenko[/autotag], [autotag]Jorge Masvidal[/autotag read news >>

Relive Jorge Masvidal's Backyard Fights vs. Kimbo Slice's Protege

This past Saturday at UFC on Fox 23, Jorge Masvidal put on the most impressive performance of his 14-year professional MMA career. His opponent, Donald Cerrone, had been knocked out only twice in his read news >>

Dana White promises extra cash for UFC on FOX 23's unofficial 'Fight of the Night'

At this past Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event, the night’s four main-card winners were all deservedly presented with $50,000 “Performance of the Night” bonuses. But a pair of welterweights will also be read news >>