#UFC Fight Night 123 #Brian Ortega #Cub Swanson #Lomachenko vs Rigondeaux #UFC 218 #GLORY Redemption #Rico Verhoeven #Marlon Moraes #Aljamain Sterling #Francis Ngannou #Gabriel Benitez #Jason Knight #Alistair Overeem #Max Holloway

tj-dillashaw-7.jpgBantamweight T.J. Dillashaw (7-1 MMA, 3-1 UFC) didn’t want to knock out Issei Tamura at this past weekend’s UFC 158 event. After he did, the Team Alpha Male product realized he probably cost himself $50,000.

“My gameplan going into this fight was I was thinking I was going to submit the guy,” Dillashaw told MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio). “I thought that was my best chance at a bonus. There were a lot of heavy hitters and exciting fighters on the card. So the time I’m actually thinking about going for submission is the time I get a knockout. Kind of ironic.

“I was willing to take the fight anywhere and be aggressive, but I was just thinking that would be my best chance.”

Tamura’s takedown defense kept Dillahsaw from moving the action to the floor and working his jiu-jitsu game, but on the feet he left an opening, and the Californian delivered with a thudding kick to the head that saw the knee slam into the temple and deposit his foe on the floor.

“I knew he held his hands low,” Dillashaw said. “I already threw a couple head kicks in the first round. I was going for the head kick, and he just dipped into it, as well. It was a little bit of a fake low and change elevation.”

Dillashaw immediately pounced with powerful punches, and the fight was waved off. With the finish not what he had envisioned, Dillashaw was forced to keep his fingers crossed in the locker room as the remaining fights unfolded. Competing on the evening’s preliminary card, there were 10 more fights remaining after Dillashaw’s hand was raised.

His chances at a bonus still looked decent until late into the main card, when Jake Ellenberger scored a crushing knockout of Nate Marquardt. At that point, Dillashaw knew his chances at the bonus check were all but gone.

“I was keeping my fingers crossed,” Dillashaw said. “But then as soon as I saw Ellenberger get the knockout, I was pretty certain it was going to go to him. I was just hoping since there was no submission, they would still give out three bonuses.”

Unfortunately for Dillashaw, the UFC didn’t oblige, and he was left without a bonus check, which he said he likely would have used to buy a house.

“Quit paying rent and make some good investments – that was kind of the plan,” Dillashaw said.

Still, it was an important win for Dillashaw, who is now 3-0 since his loss to John Dodson in the tournament final of “The Ultimate Fighter 14.” He’s likely in line for a top-10 opponent in his next outing. He was supposed to face Mike Easton this past December before injury forced him out of the bout. He’s also got an eye on Alex “Bruce Leeroy” Caceres, who took home UFC on FUEL TV 4's “Submission of the Night” bonus on a night when Dillashaw also earned a tapout.

“He stole my bonus,” Dillashaw said with a laugh.

But whenever the UFC calls, Dillashaw insists he’ll be ready. The bonus plan didn’t pan out, but he’s still focused on climbing to the top of the division.

“I’ve been working hard to try and make my game as well-rounded as possible,” Dillashaw said. “I’d like to fight again as soon as possible, and whoever they want to match me up with, I’m sure they’re going to do pretty well with that.”

For complete coverage of UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Galleries

TJ Dillashaw Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC Fight Night 120 results: Sage Northcutt sharp in return, cruises past Michel Quinones

After 11 months on the sidelines, Sage Northcutt looked sharp in his return to lightweight, cruising to a decision win over Michel Quinones.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night: Werdum vs. Tybura Fantasy Cheat Sheet

The UFC returns to Australia this weekend for a card stacked with top 10 fighters and prospects hoping to earn a spot in the rankings. In today's fantasy preview, we're going to see who has the advan read news >>

Alex Volkanovski wants $50,000 KO at UFC-Sydney, then fight with 'bully' Jeremy Stephens in Perth

With his third UFC fight in less than a year right around the corner, Alex Volkanovski has a pretty clear plan for his future.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Shanghai Fighter Pulled for Potential Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

Heavyweight fighter James Mulheron has been pulled from this weekend's UFC Fight Night 122 fight card after being flagged fro a potential anti-doping violation. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 122 bonuses: Gastelum, Jingliang among $50,000 winners in China

Kelvin Gastelum, Li Jingliang, Zabit Magomedsharipov and Song Yadong each earned $50,000 bonuses at UFC Fight Night 122 in China.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 121 bonuses: You know Tai Tuivasa's flying knee KO picked up $50,000

Tai Tuivasa, Nik Lentz, Frank Camacho and Damien Brown each earned $50,000 fight-night bonuses at Saturday’s UFC Fight Night 121 event.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Tai Tuivasa Earns $50,000 Bonus for Jaw Dropping Flying Knee KO in UFC Debut | MMAWeekly.com

Tai Tuivasa made quite an impression in his UFC debut as the undefeated heavyweight prospect earned a jaw-dropping knockout with a flying knee to finish Rashad Coulter on the prelims at UFC Fight Nig read news >>

Marcin Tybura Wants Title Shot With a Win Over Fabricio Werdum | MMAWeekly.com

Marcin Tybura wants a title shot if he gets past Fabricio Werdum at UFC Fight Night 121 in Australia. read news >>

Jessica Rose-Clark Gets Past Bec Rawlings (UFC Sydney Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

(Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may be limited by broadcast rights restrictions) Check out the highlights of the from the women's bout between Jessica Rose-Clark and Bec Rawlings at UFC Fight read news >>

Tecia Torres believes she can skip past Joanna Jedrzejczyk in title queue with UFC 218 win

Tecia Torres believes an impressive win over Michelle Waterson at UFC 218 could get her a strawweight title shot.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>