The UFC’s next major event is just 11 days away, and the promotional push is underway for “UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz.”
The event takes place March 16 at Montreal’s Bell Centre, and welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre (23-2 MMA, 17-2 UFC) meets rival Nick Diaz (26-8 MMA, 7-5 UFC) in the pay-per-view headliner.
The card features a trio of bouts with top welterweights, though the focus is on the five-round title fight.
St-Pierre and Diaz originally were scheduled to fight in October 2011 at UFC 137, but Diaz no-showed a pair of promotional appearances and was pulled from the bout. In an odd twist, he was later placed back on the card and defeated B.J. Penn after St-Pierre was forced to withdraw from the event with a training injury. Diaz took the opportunity to call out St-Pierre.
“There’s a lot of animosity,” St-Pierre said. “I’m the one who’s got the belt. I’m the one who has the title. That’s why they tried to pick a fight with me.”
In addition to the PPV main card, the 13-bout lineup also includes prelims on FX and Facebook.
The full UFC 158 lineup includes:
MAIN CARD (Pay-per-view, 10 p.m. ET)
- Champ Georges St-Pierre vs. Nick Diaz – for welterweight title
- Carlos Condit vs. Johny Hendricks
- Jake Ellenberger vs. Nate Marquardt
- Chris Camozzi vs. Nick Ring
- Colin Fletcher vs. Mike Ricci
PRELIMINARY CARD (FX, 8 p.m. ET)
- Patrick Cote vs. Bobby Voelker
- Antonio Carvalho vs. Darren Elkins
- Jordan Mein vs. Dan Miller
- Daron Cruickshank vs. John Makdessi
PRELIMINARY CARD (Facebook, 6:05 p.m. ET)
- Quinn Mulhern vs. Rick Story
- TJ Dillashaw vs. Issei Tamura
- Johnny Eduardo vs. Yves Jabouin
- Reuben Duran vs. George Roop
For more on UFC 158, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.