#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Gokhan Saki #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Conor McGregor #Saint Preux #UFC Fight Night 83

Georges St-Pierre UFC 129-478x270Georges St-Pierre (24-2) has retained the UFC welterweight title for the eighth time with a commanding unanimous decision win over Nick Diaz (26-9, 1 NC) at UFC 158 on Saturday night at the Bell Centre in Montreal.

All three judges awarded the fight to St-Pierre 50-45.

In the opening two rounds, St-Pierre was able to completely dominate the fight, landing takedowns at will and was able to outwork Diaz from the top position with ground strikes.

He began to slow down in round three and Diaz was able to repeatedly stuff his takedown attempts and keep the fight standing, engaging in strikes. But the 31-year-old Canadian was still able to out-strike Diaz on his feet and never looked in doubt.

Coming into the final round, St-Pierre clinched, looking for the takedown, but Diaz broke free before falling to the mat where the eight-time world champion was able to land ground strikes from side control, maintaining top position, to the roars of his home crowd to the final bell.

“I didn’t want to fight in a boxing range with him because he’s the best boxer in mixed martial arts,” St-Pierre said. “He has a very unusual scrambling style and I don’t have a training partner like that, it’s almost impossible to get ready for that.”

Although there was animosity between the pair leading into the fight, it all seemed forgotten after the final bell, with both fighters full of praise for their counterpart.

“Nick, you made a great job promoting the fight. He’s a good guy,” St-Pierre told the crowd. “I never took it personal. Nick is a veteran. He was in the UFC before me. I’m actually a big fan of Nick Diaz and that’s one of the reasons I wanted to fight him.”

Nick Diaz hinted at retirement when speaking with Joe Rogan post-fight, saying it’s something he’s been contemplating.

“I think I’m going to have to figure out whether I want to keep doing this. I really don’t think I have any more.

“I don’t want to make excuses,” Diaz continued. “I think I’m done with mixed martial arts. I want to help my team and I’m tired of getting banged up.”

(Follow @AndrewPMMA on Twitter)

Comments

Rick Glenn Dominates En Route to a Unanimous Decision (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Rick Glenn put on an absolute clinic against a game Gavin Tucker to get his 20th professional win! #UFC215 — FOX Sports: UFC (@UFCONFOX) September 10, 2017 (Video courtesy of UFC on FOX | Viewing may read news >>

UFC 215 results: Amanda Nunes paces herself over 5, retains belt with spilt over Valentina Shevchenko

After five hard-fought rounds, UFC women’s bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes retained her belt by the narrowest of margins, earning a split-decision win over a game Valentina Shevchenko.Filed under: read news >>

UFC Fight Night 116 staff picks: The most lopsided event in our history with 5 unanimous nods

Check out our staff picks for UFC Fight Night 116 in Pittsburgh – our most lopsided event in the history of our picks. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jones Cheated | MMAWeekly.com

UFC champion Jon Jones is in the midst facing what could be yet another setback in his life, but his manager refuses to believe he cheated. read news >>

Video: UFC 215, UFC 216 media day face-offs, where Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee get heated

The UFC today hosted a media event to promote September’s UFC 216 and October’s UFC 217 fight cards, which feature three championship bouts in total. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Johnson vs. Borg, Nunes vs. Shevchenko Face Off Ahead of Double Title Fight at UFC 215 | MMAWeekly.com

Two titles will go up for grabs at UFC 215 as Demetrious Johnson takes on Ray Borg and Amanda Nunes faces Valentina Shevchenko after they were originally scheduled to meet in July. On Thursday, all f read news >>

Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee Engage in Heated Face Off Ahead of UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee had to be separated by UFC president Dana White on Thursday after a heated face off during a media day in Las Vegas. Ferguson will face Lee to crown a new interim lightwei read news >>

Is Dana White's Relationship with Jon Jones Over? | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White briefly talked about his relationship with Jon Jones with the press at the UFC 215 216 media day on Thursday. TRENDING > Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jon read news >>

Ray Borg says he's going to end Demetrious Johnson's career in UFC 215 title fight

Ray Borg believes he’s not only going to upset UFC flyweight champ Demetrious Johnson, but also retire him at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White More Nervous About Conor McGregor vs Floyd Mayweather Than Any Other Fight Ever | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White is more nervous about Conor McGregor's boxing bout against Floyd Mayweather Jr. than any other fight... ever. read news >>