#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Anderson Silva #Demetrious Johnson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Quinton Rampage Jackson

Chad Griggs

After suffering a crushing defeat at UFC 145 back in April, Strikeforce veteran Chad Griggs (11-2) is chomping at the bit to prove his worth in the Octagon.

Griggs decided after losing to Travis Browne that he cannot fight as an undersized heavyweight forever, and he came to the realization that he has to diet and fight in the right weight class.

As the native of Tuscon, Okla., readies for his light heavyweight debut at UFC 154 at the Bell Centre in Montreal this Saturday night against Cyrille Diabate, he feels that the six-foot-six-inch height of his French opponent won’t be intimidating after having fought some of the monsters in the heavyweight division.

“I think of the four tallest guys in the UFC, I’m going to have fought two of them,” Griggs told MMAWeekly Radio.

“He’s real lanky and he fights southpaw, so there’s a few adjustments we got to make, but it takes a lot of the nerve out when you’ve fought monsters.  This guy is going to be tall, but he’s going to be skinny, long and lanky, and I feel like I’m going to be a lot more durable than him.

“His whole game is stand-up and he’s a great striker, but I know I’m going to be able to eat some of those punches, come in and I’m definitely willing to take a couple to give him a couple.  I’ll trade like that any day.  That’s the one thing I’m good at, I can hit people in the head hard, and so we’re going to shoot for that again.”

With his back against the wall after losing his UFC debut, Griggs understands full well that he needs an impressive finish at light heavyweight.

For Griggs, the change in weight class does not mean a change in his approach to fighting.  The 34-year-old has gone for the kill in all of his 13 bouts and he’s not about to stop now.

“There’s no question that I need to go in and have a good showing.  I’m coming off of a loss, and I need to go in there and make waves and get some highlights.  I need to show that I’m still there, that I’m legit and that I can perform at 205 pounds and be a force to reckon with.

“I’m coming to fight.  I’m not coming in to dance around and try and outpoint somebody, it’s never been my style and it’s not going to be this time around.  I’m driving forward, throwing some heavy leather, and I’m looking to finish the fight every round I go in.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all the latest UFC 154 news and fight coverage.

Comments

UFC Fight Night Japan Media Day Face-Offs Video | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) The stars of Fight Night Japan faced off after Tuesday's media day. No. 6 ranked light heavyweight Ovince Saint Preux welcomes Yushin Okami back to the Octagon on Friday. TRENDING > read news >>

UFC 216 winner John Moraga has fought top guys for pennies, now wants to get paid

When John Moraga knocked out Magomed Bibulatov with a thunderous left hook, he was purging months – and perhaps years – of dissatisfaction.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 216 reactions: Winning and losing fighters (plus a few who fought to a draw) on social media

See how the winning and losing fighters from UFC 216 reacted on social media outlets such as Twitter, Instagram and Facebook.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

John Moraga knew job was on the line, fought back tears after huge KO at UFC 216

When he had a three-fight skid, John Moraga was starting to have doubts about whether or not he should keep pursuing the UFC dream.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Stipe Miocic Has Eyes On Next UFC Heavyweight Title Defense | MMAWeekly.com

UFC heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic hasn't fought since May, but he's got his sights set on his next fight. read news >>

Return of 'The Natural Born Killer': Carlos Condit lobbies for UFC fight in December or January

Former interim welterweight champ Carlos Condit emerged on Twitter with a request for UFC matchmaker Sean Shelby.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Get To Know TUF Cast: Lauren Murphy

Lauren Murphy, a former Invicta FC bantamweight champion with four UFC fights to her name, didn’t feel like an MMA veteran earlier this year. Then she joined the cast of The Ultimate Fighter and ever read news >>

Carlos Condit Ready to Book His Return Fight to the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Carlos Condit is looking for a fight. The former UFC interim welterweight champion, who has been out of action since August 2016, dropped a message on Twitter to matchmaker Sean Shelby letting him kn read news >>

Darren Till unloads on Brendan Schaub for criticizing UFC headliner vs. Donald Cerrone

Darren Till has choice words for those who question his UFC Fight Night 118 headliner against Donald Cerrone, especially Brendan Schaub.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Carlos Felipe flagged for potential USADA violation, pulled from UFC debut in Sao Paulo

Carlos Felipe was slated to make his UFC debut next month, but that’s not happening anymore.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>