#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 120 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor #TJ Dillashaw #Nate Diaz #Cody Garbrandt #Dustin Poirier #Fight One #Anthony Pettis

Cub Swanson at WEC 41“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”

-Confucius

For years, Cub Swanson has been trying to claw his way to the top of the featherweight division and now his hard work is starting to finally pay dividends.

Swanson had most of the tools and the athletic ability to be a successful fighter, but it seemed as if he forced things to happen amongst some of the better fighters instead of being loose and letting his techniques flow.

Look no further than the Chad Mendes fight, where the 28-year-old was frustrated and outwrestled for three rounds.  While, being outwrestled by an All-American is nothing to hang your head in shame about, Swanson was angered at himself for freezing up and fearing the takedown.

“I think when I fought Chad Mendes, and no disrespect to him, but that was the most unsatisfying fight I’ve ever had,” Swanson told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I got up and nothing happened except for I got poked in the eye and I had to go see the doctor about that.  I felt like I didn’t fight.  I was like, wow, a whole training camp and I didn’t really fight. If I go in to train this hard and be away from my family and sacrifice all the things that I have sacrificed throughout my career over and over again, let’s fight.  I want a guy who’s willing to bring it.”

After cringing at his own performance, Swanson turned things around.  Going 3-1 in his next four outings, the Greg Jackson pupil scored two Fight of the Night bonuses and has taken out the likes of Ross Pearson and George Roop.

As Swanson heads into Toronto for UFC 152, he feels blessed that the UFC is matching him up against Charles Oliveira, who is yet another fighter that brings it. And he plans to continue to show that he has risen into a league of his own.

“He’s dangerous, he’s worked a lot on his stand-up, so he’s not just a one-dimensional fighter anymore.  It’s going to be an intriguing match.  I know his only two losses are to two top 155-pounders and both of those fighters I admire.  If I could be one of those losses on his record, it’d make me feel real good.

“I feel like my opponents that I’ve been getting lately that I’m very fortunate that I get guys who want to fight,” Swanson continued.  “It takes two in there and, like I said, my opponents are helping me look good, but not just by my wins but with both of us going in there going balls to the wall and putting on a show for the fans.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more UFC 152 news and fight coverage.

Galleries

Cub Swanson Fights

• 7 months ago

Comments

Hendricks feels 'reborn' after training with Jackson-Wink for UFC 217

“All I can say is that I’m excited, I can’t wait to see improvements I have made and how much better have I gotten in just four weeks. That’s what I’m excited about. I’m getting reborn in a sense," H read news >>

Champs Michael Bisping and Joanna Jedrzejczyk are trolling opponents on UFC 217 fight day

How do you kill time before one of the year’s biggest UFC events? For two UFC champs, you take last-minute shots at your opponents.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Young to make UFC debut against Volkanovski in Sydney

Despite losing opponents Jeremy Kennedy and Humberto Bandenay due to injury, Australian prospect Alexander Volkanovski will be in action this weekend in Sydney, as New Zealander Shane Young has read news >>

UFC-Sao Paulo winner Thiago 'Marreta' Santos feels he's on the rise, wants Derek Brunson next

At 32, UFC middleweight Thiago “Marreta” Santos sees no point in holding out for high-ranked names or headlining opportunities. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

As lawsuit looms, UFC-Sydney's Tim Means rails on shady supplement companies

• 23 hours ago

Tim Means is facing two opponents heading into his latest UFC matchup: Belal Muhammad, and an entire shady industry, as he sees it.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Cris Cyborg Reveals New Long Term Contract Signed with the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

• 22 hours ago

Cris "Cyborg" Justino is staying put in the UFC. Just days after Cyborg's next fight was announced against Holly Holm at UFC 219 on Dec. 30, the ferocious women's featherweight champion revealed that read news >>

Jake Matthews admits there's pressure to perform at UFC Fight Night 121

• 21 hours ago

Sometimes, a change of scenery can be just what the doctor ordered. Jake Matthews hopes that’s the case with his move back up to 170 pounds.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Aljamain Sterling gets Marlon Moraes as UFC-Fresno replacement opponent

• 20 hours ago

Aljamain Sterling has been in need of a replacement opponent, and he’s found one in Marlon Moraes.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC champion Cris Cyborg signs new deal with promotion

• 19 hours ago

Not only does Cris Cyborg have her first UFC title defense coming up, she has a new deal to go with it.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Four Fighters Miss Weight (UFC Sydney Weigh-in Results) | MMAWeekly.com

• 18 hours ago

The 26 fighters competing on Saturday's UFC Fight Night: Werdum vs. Tybura fight card officially weighed in today in Sydney, Australia. read news >>