#UFC Fight Night 124 #Jeremy Stephens #Doo Ho Choi #Paige VanZant #Kamaru Usman #Emil Meek #Michael Johnson #Darren Elkins #Jessica Eye #Khabib Nurmagomedov #UFC 219 #Conor McGregor #James Krause #Alex White #TKO

Cub Swanson at WEC 41“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”

-Confucius

For years, Cub Swanson has been trying to claw his way to the top of the featherweight division and now his hard work is starting to finally pay dividends.

Swanson had most of the tools and the athletic ability to be a successful fighter, but it seemed as if he forced things to happen amongst some of the better fighters instead of being loose and letting his techniques flow.

Look no further than the Chad Mendes fight, where the 28-year-old was frustrated and outwrestled for three rounds.  While, being outwrestled by an All-American is nothing to hang your head in shame about, Swanson was angered at himself for freezing up and fearing the takedown.

“I think when I fought Chad Mendes, and no disrespect to him, but that was the most unsatisfying fight I’ve ever had,” Swanson told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I got up and nothing happened except for I got poked in the eye and I had to go see the doctor about that.  I felt like I didn’t fight.  I was like, wow, a whole training camp and I didn’t really fight. If I go in to train this hard and be away from my family and sacrifice all the things that I have sacrificed throughout my career over and over again, let’s fight.  I want a guy who’s willing to bring it.”

After cringing at his own performance, Swanson turned things around.  Going 3-1 in his next four outings, the Greg Jackson pupil scored two Fight of the Night bonuses and has taken out the likes of Ross Pearson and George Roop.

As Swanson heads into Toronto for UFC 152, he feels blessed that the UFC is matching him up against Charles Oliveira, who is yet another fighter that brings it. And he plans to continue to show that he has risen into a league of his own.

“He’s dangerous, he’s worked a lot on his stand-up, so he’s not just a one-dimensional fighter anymore.  It’s going to be an intriguing match.  I know his only two losses are to two top 155-pounders and both of those fighters I admire.  If I could be one of those losses on his record, it’d make me feel real good.

“I feel like my opponents that I’ve been getting lately that I’m very fortunate that I get guys who want to fight,” Swanson continued.  “It takes two in there and, like I said, my opponents are helping me look good, but not just by my wins but with both of us going in there going balls to the wall and putting on a show for the fans.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more UFC 152 news and fight coverage.

Galleries

Cub Swanson Fights

• 8 months ago

Comments

Felice Herrig: It 'doesn't really make sense' to keep fighting lower-ranked UFC opponents

Surging women’s strawweight contender Felice Herrig is getting tired of calling her shot.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC, Videos read news >>

Why Cynthia Calvillo feels unstoppable ahead of UFC 219 bout vs. Carla Esparza

A win at UFC 219 would put Cynthia Calvillo on the fast track to a title shot.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Carla Esparza Feels She Should be Part of the UFC Championship Conversation | MMAWeekly.com

Carla Esparza believes that she proved at UFC 219 why she should still be a part of the UFC strawweight title picture. read news >>

Curtis Blaydes feels 'recognized' thanks to Mark Hunt matchup at UFC 221

UFC 221’s Curtis Blaydes requested to fight Marcin Tybura, Derrick Lewis, or Alexander Volkov. Instead, he felt “recognized” to get Mark Hunt. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

A UFC free fight – highlighting the loser? Makes sense with Dooho Choi vs. Cub Swanson

An unforgettable 2016 fight between Dooho Choi and Cub Swanson apparently forced the UFC digital team to rethink its promotional process.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Relive an Instant Classic: Cub Swanson vs. Doo Ho Choi (UFC St. Louis Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) At UFC 206, Dooho Choi and Cub Swanson put on a show for the Toronto crowd. Many considered their three round battle to be the fight of the year in 2016. Even in defeat, Choi's hear read news >>

Cub Swanson considers offer from UFC, others as he eyes next fight

• an hour ago

UFC veteran Cub Swanson is weighing all of his options before he decides to sign a new contract. read news >>

UFC 220 headliner Stipe Miocic 'In the Clinch' episode debuts tonight on FS1

• 36 minutes ago

Stipe Miocic is the subject of a new episode of “In the Clinch” that debuts tonight on FS1. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 124 winner Irene Aldana grateful UFC career started with back-to-back losses

• 6 minutes ago

In the win column for the first time in the UFC, Irene Aldana is actually grateful her octagon tenure began with two consecutive losses. read news >>

UFC bans Jackson-Wink photographer who called Cris Cyborg a man on Instagram

The photographer who called women’s featherweight champ Cris Cyborg a man will no longer be credentialed at UFC events.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>