#UFC London #Fabricio Werdum #Conor McGregor #Alexander Volkov #UFC 222 #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Tony Ferguson #UFC 217 #Fight Night Rotterdam

UFC 152’s Cub Swanson Feels Fortunate With Getting Opponents That Bring It

Cub Swanson at WEC 41“Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall.”

For years, Cub Swanson has been trying to claw his way to the top of the featherweight division and now his hard work is starting to finally pay dividends.

Swanson had most of the tools and the athletic ability to be a successful fighter, but it seemed as if he forced things to happen amongst some of the better fighters instead of being loose and letting his techniques flow.

Look no further than the Chad Mendes fight, where the 28-year-old was frustrated and outwrestled for three rounds.  While, being outwrestled by an All-American is nothing to hang your head in shame about, Swanson was angered at himself for freezing up and fearing the takedown.

“I think when I fought Chad Mendes, and no disrespect to him, but that was the most unsatisfying fight I’ve ever had,” Swanson told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I got up and nothing happened except for I got poked in the eye and I had to go see the doctor about that.  I felt like I didn’t fight.  I was like, wow, a whole training camp and I didn’t really fight. If I go in to train this hard and be away from my family and sacrifice all the things that I have sacrificed throughout my career over and over again, let’s fight.  I want a guy who’s willing to bring it.”

After cringing at his own performance, Swanson turned things around.  Going 3-1 in his next four outings, the Greg Jackson pupil scored two Fight of the Night bonuses and has taken out the likes of Ross Pearson and George Roop.

As Swanson heads into Toronto for UFC 152, he feels blessed that the UFC is matching him up against Charles Oliveira, who is yet another fighter that brings it. And he plans to continue to show that he has risen into a league of his own.

“He’s dangerous, he’s worked a lot on his stand-up, so he’s not just a one-dimensional fighter anymore.  It’s going to be an intriguing match.  I know his only two losses are to two top 155-pounders and both of those fighters I admire.  If I could be one of those losses on his record, it’d make me feel real good.

“I feel like my opponents that I’ve been getting lately that I’m very fortunate that I get guys who want to fight,” Swanson continued.  “It takes two in there and, like I said, my opponents are helping me look good, but not just by my wins but with both of us going in there going balls to the wall and putting on a show for the fans.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more UFC 152 news and fight coverage.

Cub Swanson Fights

• 10 months ago

Is MMA's Greatest Female Champ Wasting Her Best Years on No-Name Opponents?

Nearly two years in, the UFC's Cyborg experiment still hasn't quite found its stride. In some ways, Saturday's UFC 222 main event pitting women's featherweight champion Cris "Cyborg" Justino against read news >>

Hector Lombard plans appeal of disqualification loss at UFC 222

Hector Lombard feels a referee was wrong to disqualify him at UFC 222, and he plans to appeal the decision. read news >>

Is MMA's Greatest Female Champ Wasting Her Best Years on No-Name Opponents?

Former UFC Champion Luke Rockhold Named as the New Face of Polo Blue Cologne | MMAWeekly.com

As Luke Rockhold continues to explore options for work outside the Octagon, the former UFC champion has now landed a lucrative gig as the new face of Polo Blue cologne. read news >>

Who ya got?! Fighters predict Cris Cyborg vs. Yana Kunitskaya at UFC 222

Who are fighters at UFC 222 picking in the main event between Cris Cyborg and Yana Kunitskaya? read news >>

Cris Cyborg: UFC 222 'is the Craziest Thing I've Done in My Life' | MMAWeekly.com

Stepping into the UFC 222 main event on short notice may just be the craziest thing Cris Cyborg has ever done. read news >>

Conor McGregor to lose UFC lightweight belt to Ferguson-Nurmagomedov winner on April 7

UFC President Dana White confirms that sidelined Conor McGregor will lose lightweight belt to the April 7 Tony Ferguson-Khabib Nurmagomedov winner in Brooklyn. read news >>

UFC 222 play-by-play and live results (6:30 p.m. ET)

Check out live play-by-play and official results from UFC 222 in Las Vegas. read news >>

UFC 222 discussion thread

UFC 222 takes place today in Las Vegas, and you can discuss the event here. read news >>

Video: Watch UFC 222's post-event press conference on MMAjunkie

Check out a live stream of the UFC 222 post-event press conference. read news >>

How to watch UFC 222 tonight: Fight card, start time, online results, where to stream

The UFC is back in its “Sin City” home base tonight for UFC 222. Here’s how to watch. read news >>

Dana White Says UFC 223 Winner Will Get Conor McGregor's Title Belt

UFC president Dana White confirmed on Friday that the winner of the UFC 223 fight between Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov will become the new lightweight champion. White told Lance Pugmire of t read news >>

UFC 222 Countdown: Full Episode | MMAWeekly.com

In this edition of UFC Countdown, go inside the lives and gyms of four featherweights preparing for UFC 222. read news >>

UFC 222: Cyborg vs. Kunitskaya Fight Card, TV Info, Predictions and More

A women's featherweight title fight between Cris "Cyborg" Justino and Yana Kunitskaya isn't exactly the main event UFC brass envisioned for UFC 222, but it's the one that's going to have to do. When read news >>

Jimmy Smith: Cris Cyborg Is 'The Best Female Fighter of All Time' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC analyst Jimmy Smith says the debate is over in his mind — Cris Cyborg is the best female mixed martial artist in history read news >>

Big Sky Country: Snoop Dogg Favorite Sean O'Malley Is Flying High in the UFC

For a top prospect in any other sport, it would have been a bona fide disaster. One moment, "Sugar" Sean O'Malley (9-0) was palling around with company executives, with an impressive minor league win read news >>

Search for: