#Justin Buchholz #Duane Ludwig #Conor McGregor #Ramsey Nijem #Julian Lane #UFC 211 #Nate Diaz #Jon Jones #Rory MacDonald #Dhiego Lima #Hayder Hassan #UFC 202 #Ernest Chavez #TWC #Bellator 179

Donald Cerrone vs Melvin GuillardMixed martial arts can be a cutthroat business when friendships are involved.

Many times, friendships have been lost and egos have gotten the better of some of the sport’s elite.

Enter in Donald Cerrone and Melvin Guillard.  The two lightweights were former training partners at Greg Jackson’s, and still are great friends heading into UFC 150: Henderson vs. Edgar II.

Cerrone respects Guillard so much that he left Jackson’s to let him know that he’s not seeking an unfair advantage.  The former WEC star wants an even playing field, so he moved his fight camp back to Vail, Colo., where he first started his MMA training.

“Denver is high altitude, man, and going to Vail just to train, trust me I didn’t want to.” Cerrone said on the UFC 150 media conference call.  “Melvin and I trained a lot together with Greg.  I kind of went away from Greg on this fight a little bit and just did my own thing.  Not any reason other than I didn’t want Melvin to think that Greg was giving me all his secrets and whatnot.

“This fight between Melvin and I is nothing but professional; it’s no personal beef.  No nothing.  I just went away, went up to Vail, got my conditioning in order and ready to go make some money.”

The two spent so much time cutting their teeth under the tutelage of Jackson, and still maintain a mutual admiration even after Guillard left to the Blackzilians.

Come fight time though, Jackson will be in the ear of Cerrone. Cowboy just didn’t want his former teammate to think he used Jackson to dissect his entire game.

“Oh no, he’s definitely going to be in my corner.  I just haven’t been training with him like the last four weeks.  There’s nothing, no beef or anything with me and Greg, other than obvious respect for Melvin and taking off and doing my own thing.  I didn’t want him thinking that I’m not working the game plan.”

In the long run, the two men will enter UFC 150 great friends and exit the same, but it won’t stop Cerrone and Guillard from going at it hard.   The two former teammates will look to give the Denver fans their moneys worth on Saturday night.

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

UFC Confirms Fabricio Werdum vs. Alistair Overeem and Robbie Lawler vs. Donald Cerrone | MMAWeekly.com

Neither fight cam a surprise, but the UFC on Wednesday confirmed two marquee bouts for its UFC 213 fight card slated for International Fight Week. read news >>

Donald Cerrone: If you're not hyped for UFC 213 fight vs. Robbie Lawler, 'then (expletive) you'

Donald Cerrone vs. Robbie Lawler seems destined for “Fight of the Night” honors at UFC 213, maybe even “Fight of the Year.” So why does Cerrone even have to keep selling it?Filed under: Featured, Fea read news >>

Amanda Nunes & Donald Cerrone on UFC 213, Ronda Rousey, and Donald Trump; Oh My! | MMAWeekly.com

Amanda Nunes and Donald Cerrone spoke to the media about their upcoming UFC 213 fights, Ronda Rousey, President Donald Trump, and more! read news >>

Gesias Cavalcante looks to spoil Kurt Holobaugh's UFC return plans with finish at Titan FC 44

Ex-champ Gesias “JZ” Cavalcante meets Kurt Holobaugh this Friday looking to conquer Titan FC’s interim lightweight title. But for the Brazilian veteran, belts are “just the cherry on top” of victorio read news >>

UFC champ Demetrious Johnson encourages Ronda Rousey to 'grow the (expletive) up' after losses

Demetrious Johnson is not impressed by the way in which Ronda Rousey, who was once the face of MMA, has conducted herself since a dramatic fall from grace that saw her go from undefeated UFC champion read news >>

Dana White: Conor McGregor side of Floyd Mayweather fight negotiations a done deal

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor has met Dana White’s deadline to finalize his side of the terms for a mega boxing fight with Floyd Mayweather.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

McGregor vs. Mayweather Bout Waiting on Floyd to Agree, Dana White Says

UFC President Dana White said Wednesday night that he has completed negotiations with Conor McGregor in hopes of setting up a showdown against Floyd Mayweather Jr. later this year. Appearing on TNT's read news >>

Amanda Nunes Wants UFC Featherweight Belt, but Won't Fight Cris Cyborg to Get It | MMAWeekly.com

UFC bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes still wants to fight for the featherweight title, as long as it isn't Cris Cyborg that she'd have to challenge. read news >>

You're not going to believe this, but UFC Fight Night 111's Colby Covington actually thanks Dong Hyun Kim

Colby Covington wanted a fight. But wanting was a lot easier than getting.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

James Vick grabs bull by horns after UFC 211, gets new contract meeting with Dana White

James Vick was upset he didn’t get a performance bonus for knocking out Marco Polo Reyes at UFC 211. So he took his complaint directly to UFC brass.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>