#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Phoenix Fight Night #Vengeance Fighting Alliance #Duelo De Giagantes

Donald Cerrone found himself in an unenviable position Saturday night, when he was matched against friend and former teammate Melvin Guillard in the co-main event of UFC 150.

Cerrone emerged victorious from the lightweight clash at Denver’s Pepsi Center, but the win did not come easily, even after Cerrone found himself in the driver’s seat by flooring Guillard with a vicious right.

Guillard -- who trained with Cerrone at Jackson’s MMA in Albuquerque, N.M., before relocating to Florida and joining the Blackzilians -- fell face first to the mat, primed to receive one last haymaker from his former sparring partner. The blow did not come. Instead, Cerrone began to position himself for a rear-naked choke before the bout was waved off by referee Josh Rosenthal.

“[Before the fight], a lot of people were asking me, ‘Will it be hard to finish a teammate?’ And I would say, ‘No,’” Cerrone said at the post-fight press conference. “[But when I was] actually there with that finishing blow, it was very hard. So instead, I went for the choke.”

Though Cerrone’s flourish to finish the fight was an impressive one, it appeared early that it would actually be Guillard’s night. Cerrone came out aggressively and paid for it, as Guillard dropped him with a hard counter left hook and immediately pursued the knockout, launching an extended flurry of strikes as Cerrone did his best to circle away and recover.

“I was extremely hurt, especially from the knee to the body,” said Cerrone. It took everything in me to just fight through it and keep going. That was probably the worst I’ve ever been injured in a fight. All I could think of was just sucking it up and keeping my composure [so I could] keep going.”

His wits only partially regained, Cerrone dramatically turned the tide of the bout by launching a whipping lead-leg high kick that buzzed Guillard’s skull put him on wobbly legs. The previously described right hand would follow just moments later.

“Frankly, I thought I just grazed the top of him. I didn’t realize I connected as well as I did. Thankfully, I did, and I was able to follow with the right hand. In training, that’s what I was working on. He drops his hands and fades off that way a lot,” said Cerrone. “He came out very explosive and very aggressive, just like I thought he would. I came in too amped up. I’ve got to work on that. He came out and hit me hard, just like I figured he would.”

A Colorado native, Cerrone says that his haste in trying to take the fight to Guillard was due in part to his excitement over fighting in front of a hometown crowd.

“The feeling was unbelievable. I’ve fought here a number of times, and this was the most energy I’ve ever felt,” said Cerrone. “I wanted to just stop and [look around] and do a full circle. It was incredible.”

Another victory now listed among his 19 career wins, Cerrone can look toward his next challenge. “Cowboy” previously named Anthony Pettis as the lightweight he would next like to face. When asked if that attitude still holds true, Cerrone did not mince words.

“That’s a fight I definitely would like. Let’s sign it today.”

Galleries

Donald Cerrone Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Brian Stann Reveals He'll No Longer Call UFC Fights | MMAWeekly.com

Brian Stann announced on Monday that his is leaving his position as part of the UFC broadcast team. read news >>

Brian Stann announces departure from UFC commentary position

The UFC and FOX Sports lost a key member of its broadcast crew today when Brian Stann announced his departure from his commentary position. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC-Rotterdam results: Marion Reneau batters Talita Oliveira for late 3rd-round TKO

Marion Reneau found herself in some tough situations but eventually blasted away with punches from top position to earn a TKO win late.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Now sitting on 4 straight wins, UFC-Rotterdam's Leon Edwards calls for Donald Cerrone – again

UFC Fight Night 115 winner Leon Edwards wants to showcase his skills for an American audience, preferably against Donald Cerrone.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Donald Cerrone: Unbeaten Darren Till 'might be more dangerous' than Robbie Lawler

Donald Cerrone knows nothing about UFC Fight Night 118 opponent Darren Till, which is one reason the matchup is so dangerous.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215 Results: Amanda Nunes Beats Valentina Shevchenko in Main Event

It wasn't pretty, but Amanda Nunes found a way to retain her UFC women's bantamweight title over Valentina Shevchenko in the main event at UFC 215 on Saturday. The Lioness successfully defended the s read news >>

Georges St-Pierre Admits Pressure Drove Him Out of the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

When Georges St-Pierre walked away from mixed martial arts four years ago, it wasn't because his body was broken. He had a black cloud over his head. read news >>

Uriah Hall (once again) had to get out of his own head before KO win at UFC-Pittsburgh

Uriah Hall admits he’s “one of those head cases” when he steps inside the octagon, and it showed again at UFC-Pittsburgh.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Donald Cerrone vs. Darren Till expected for UFC Fight Night 118 headliner in Poland

A welterweight headliner between two striking specialists is expected to serve as the headliner for UFC Fight Night 118.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Alistair Overeem Calls Out Francis Ngannou, 'The Predator' Responds | MMAWeekly.com

If Francis Ngannou wants a shot at the UFC heavyweight title, he might have to go through Alistair Overeem first. The former title contender took to Twitter on Thursday to send a message to the fears read news >>