#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Gokhan Saki #Roy Nelson #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Javy Ayala

Rory MacDonald at UFC 129Rory “Ares” MacDonald (12-1) has been cleaning house since he emerged into the UFC’s welterweight division in 2010.

The 22-year-old has gone 3-1 in the division, with big wins over the likes of Mike Pyle and Nate Diaz, and has been considered the next big thing in the welterweight division.

Now, the Tristar Gym pupil will face the little known fighter Che Mills at UFC 145 in Atlanta, and the pressure is all on him to look dominant.  Stepping into the Octagon, MacDonald has looked more and more like a true veteran of the game. He hasn’t gotten complacent, however, as he takes the former Cage Rage champion very seriously.

“He’s hungry, he wants to prove himself, and he wants to put his name on the map and a hungry fighter is a dangerous one, so I’m taking it very seriously,” MacDonald told MMAWeekly Radio.

“I didn’t really know him, but obviously he’s in the UFC, so I thought he’s a good fighter.  A lot of people thought I would be surprised, but not really.  I just take the fights that are given to me and it’s my job to be at my best.  I plan on putting on a good show whoever it is I’m put against.”

Since many pundits and fans have been touting MacDonald as the next Georges St-Pierre, there’s no shortage of people who believe that MacDonald should be fighting a big name in the division, but he knows his time will come.

Even though many people have written off Mills, MacDonald remains cognizant of the Britt’s striking power and believes that at the end of the day he just has too many weapons against Mills not to come out on top.

“Of course I want to fight the guys who are more recognizable.  I mean, fans want to see those fights, right?   At the same time, I’m just happy to be fighting in the UFC; it doesn’t really matter who I’m fighting.  I know everyone is good and eventually or maybe in the next fight I’ll get a top five guy and I can prove to anyone where I belong.

“I think he’s a good striker and he’s got some dangerous things in his game, a dominant striker.  I feel like I’m more of a balanced fighter and I’m dangerous everywhere as where he is only dangerous in part of the game.”

At the end of the day it doesn’t matter what people think MacDonald will end up becoming, because MacDonald knows he’s got to overcome the present first.  And for the 22-year-old, he’ll just take everything as it comes until one day he has finally proven where he belongs.

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

Galleries

Rory MacDonald Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Rory MacDonald's all-caps Reddit AMA included a Robbie Lawler PED accusation

Former UFC welterweight title challenger and current Bellator contender Rory MacDonald didn’t hold back during today’s Reddit AMA.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Amanda Nunes knows UFC is punishing her with co-main demotion, isn't worried about it

The women’s bantamweight champion simply plans on going out and defending her title at UFC 215.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215: Demetrious Johnson vs Ray Borg Media Call (FULL Audio) | MMAWeekly.com

Listen in on the UFC 215: Johnson vs. Borg media conference call featuring Demetrious Johnson, Ray Borg, Amanda Nunes, and Valentina Shevchenko. read news >>

Watch Alexander Volkov's One-Sided Win Over Roy Nelson (UFC Rotterdam Free Fight) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch Alexander Volkov's one-sided win over Roy Nelson. read news >>

Talita Oliveira not above UFC jitters ahead of last-minute debut: 'I'll be extremely stressed'

Despite a last-minute call to meet Marion Reneau in Rotterdam, Brazil’s Talita de Oliveira was “euphoric” to hear she’d made it to the UFC.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Sure, UFC's Marion Reneau will retire eventually – but on her own terms and timeline

UFC bantamweight Marion Reneau is not setting timeframes for her MMA retirement just yet since “40 is the new 20. Let’s just roll with that.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

John Dodson Announces His Fight Against Marlon Moraes at UFC Fight Night in Virginia | MMAWeekly.com

A bantamweight scrap has been added to the UFC card in Norfolk, VA on Nov. 11 read news >>

UFC Fight Night 115 weigh-in results and live video stream (3 a.m. ET)

MMAjunkie is reporting live from today’s early and official UFC Fight Night 115 fighter weigh-ins, which kick off at 3 am ET.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Video: Watch today's UFC Fight Night 115 ceremonial weigh-ins live on MMAjunkie at noon ET

UFC Fight Night 115 ceremonial fighter weigh-ins take place today. Watch a live stream here on MMAjunkie at noon ET.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC Rotterdam Weigh-in Results: Volkov vs. Struve Set, but One Fighter Misses Weight | MMAWeekly.com

Two top-ranked heavyweights are set to square off at UFC Fight Night 115 following Friday's early morning weigh-in. read news >>