Some opportunities come once in a lifetime.  For Michael “Mayday” McDonald, one such opportunity came at UFC 145 against Miguel Torres.

McDonald floored the former WEC bantamweight champion with an uppercut and followed with a few punches that left Torres motionless in the Octagon.

Back just four years ago, McDonald envisioned fighting then world champion Torres as he was cutting his teeth in the Gladiator Challenge promotion. But as UFC 145 came to a close, the 21-year-old’s heart was overwhelmed with joy at finally having his day in the sun with Torres.

“I really just tried to have a good time,” McDonald told MMAWeekly Radio.

“A lot of the times people try to intimidate their opponents and there’s a lot of emotions involved.  I’m not scared and all this kind of stuff, but you know what?  There’s always nerves and rather than trying to intimidate everyone with, ‘I’m not scared, I’m going to kill this guy,’ that just clouds your judgment. It just clouds your mind.  I’m not all about the mean mug and the, ‘I’m not scared, I’m going to kill you,’ kind of thing.

“To me this is my job. I enjoy it and this experience, people would kill or die for this thing, and if I’m not going to enjoy it while I’m up there than what’s the point?  Here I am in the UFC at 21 years old fighting Miguel Torres, the guy I’ve wanted to fight for four years now.  C’mon now, why would I not be happy?”

For many fighters happiness is getting to live their dream of fighting in the UFC as a career, and for McDonald, it’s really not any different.

But to succeed, a fighter needs confidence. And sometimes that confidence isn’t always easy to achieve.

In his prior fights against Chris Cariaso and Edwin Figueroa, the bantamweight felt stressed and lacked some of the confidence he needed to get the big finish over those opponents. Things have turned around for McDonald, however, as happiness has overcome a lot of his past anxieties and he believes that he’s become more dangerous as a fighter just by having a smile on his face.

“The key to me winning is being happy and this job is probably the crappiest job you can do if you’re not having fun.  Getting punched in the face and getting worked until you can’t move anymore is probably the worst job you can do on the planet if you don’t like it and you have to enjoy it,” said McDonald.

“When I’m dangerous, when I’m a good fighter, and when I’m successful, I’m happy.  I’m having a good time.  That’s when I’m the most dangerous and what makes me happy has a lot to do with who I think I am.

“Fighting doesn’t define me. I’m not just Michael McDonald the fighter.  I’m not Michael ‘Mayday’ McDonald, that’s just my business name.  I’m Michael McDonald and I’m a Christian and that doesn’t define me as fighting and if fighting left me tomorrow, I’d be okay with that.  It’s something that I love, it’s something that is my job, but it doesn’t define me.  Having my happiness in my definition of me really is what supplies my success.  My happiness is a lot to do with what defines me.”

Follow Andrew Gladstone at @gladstone1 on Twitter.
For more
UFC News and UFC Rumors, follow MMAWeekly.com on Twitter and Facebook.

10 memorable moments from UFC Fight Night 104: 'Zombie' indeed, new title fight, flipping off crowd

The featherweight division got a whole lot more interesting on Saturday thanks to [autotag]Chan Sung Jung[/autotag]. "The Korean Zombie," back in the UFC after an absence of 1,281 days, knocked out [ read news >>

The most memorable moments from UFC 208 (and yes, there were some despite nine decisions)

Check out some of the most memorable moments from this past Saturday’s UFC 208 card in Brooklyn.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Inside the impressive career facts and figures for UFC 208 co-headliner Anderson Silva

Former longtime pound-for-pound king Anderson Silva once again returns to the octagon on Saturday when he takes on Derek Brunson in the UFC 208 co-main event. Get a look at his impressive career numb read news >>

Holm vs. De Randamie: Career Stats, Highlights for Both Before UFC 208

The UFC will add a new champion to the fold when Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie close out UFC 208 on Saturday, February 11, at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York. The main event features read news >>

Anderson Silva Wins, Decisions Derek Brunson (UFC 208 Results) | MMAWeekly.com

Former middleweight champion Anderson Silva picked up his 34th career win on Saturday when he defeated Derek Brunson by unanimous decision at UFC 208. read news >>

Ex-champ Johny Hendricks promises rebirth of fallen career at UFC Fight Night 105

HALIFAX – Johny Hendricks has a pep in his step that he said has been absent for several years as he approaches Sunday’s UFC Fight Night 105 showdown with Hector Lombard.Filed under: Featured Videos, read news >>

Brock Lesnar Informs UFC of Retirement from MMA, Removed from Drug Testing Pool

Brock Lesnar's mixed martial arts career appears to be over. A UFC spokesperson on Tuesday told MMA Fighting's Marc Raimondi the former UFC heavyweight champion informed the company of his retirement read news >>

Pena vs. Shevchenko Results: Winner and Reaction from UFC on Fox 23

With Ronda Rousey's career possibly over, the UFC women's bantamweight division is officially trying to move on. The first step in doing so? Determining the next challenger for reigning champion Aman read news >>

UFC 208 results: Glover Teixeira rides takedowns to dominant ground win over Jared Cannonier

BROOKLYN, N.Y. – Glover Teixeira had some scary moments on the feet against Jared Cannonier, but he was saved by his takedowns and top control. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Holm, de Randamie look for career-defining wins; Silva, Brunson want more at UFC 208

Everyone that steps into the Octagon does so for their own reasons, but next Saturday night at Barclays Center, Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie will enter the UFC’s eight-sided proving ground wit read news >>