#UFC Fight Night 83 #Conor McGregor #Luke Rockhold #Nate Diaz #David Branch #Saturday Night Fights #Jon Jones #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #GGG

On Saturday night, Tyrone Spong will compete in a different kind of fight.

The accomplished heavyweight kickboxer will make his mixed martial arts debut at 205 pounds against nine-fight pro Travis Bartlett (pictured, left) at the World Series of Fighting’s inaugural event at the Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino in Las Vegas. Spong’s bout, along with the rest of the main card, airs live on NBC Sports Network. Meanwhile, the preliminary proceedings stream immediately prior on Sherdog.com.

Despite Spong’s Nov. 3 showdown with Bartlett serving as his foray under mixed rules, Spong, 27, says he feels no pressure in transitioning from kickboxing to MMA.

“I’m very happy to be here. I like challenges,” Spong said at Thursday’s pre-fight press conference. “I’ve achieved a lot in kickboxing, and I just needed something new. I came to the states and trained with a lot of MMA guys and thought I’d give it a chance. [There is] no pressure. I believe in myself, and I’m doing this for myself. Of course, I would like to put on a great fight for the fans and the people who stand behind me, but I’m just looking forward to this Saturday.”

One of the fighters with which the Surinamese-born Dutchman has trained is Anthony Johnson, a fellow member of the Florida-based Blackzilians camp. Known to most fans as “Rumble,” Johnson formerly competed for the UFC at 170 pounds and now makes his WSOF debut as a light heavyweight against Bellator veteran D.J. Linderman. According to Spong and Johnson, their collaboration in training has proved fruitful for both parties.

“I’ve benefited a lot from training with Anthony,” Spong said. “He’s experienced and has a good wrestling background. Everybody knows I need to work on my ground game. For him to work with me and point out the things I need to work on, I have benefited a lot.”

Spong likely hopes to use those newfound wrestling skills to keep the fight standing, where he should -- on paper, at least -- outclass his opponent. However, Bartlett -- a heavy-handed southpaw -- says that if Spong wants to go toe-to-toe, he will oblige the highly-regarded striker. According to the American, he will try to take Spong down only if the kickboxer keeps his distance and looks to attack primarily with leg kicks.

“I have no secrets. I fight one way,” said Bartlett. “If he wants to see who can own the real estate, I’m [in]. If he’s playing the leg kick game, then I’m going to have to pressure him and go for shots. But if he wants to go mano-a-mano in the middle of the cage, I’m up for it.”

Comments

Valentina Shevchenko feels great ahead of UFC 215 title match – and has dance moves to show it

Valentina Schevchenko is over Amanda Nunes’ withdrawal from their UFC 213 title encounter: “What happened two months ago was so far away.”Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ray Borg Releases First Statement After Being Pulled from UFC 215 | MMAWeekly.com

Ray Borg wanted nothing more than to compete for the flyweight title on Saturday night at UFC 215. Unfortunately, a viral infection knocked the top five ranked fighter out of his fight against reigni read news >>

UFC 215's Ketlen Vieira confident but level-headed ahead of 'golden opportunity' vs. Sara McMann

Ahead of her the toughest opponent of her undefeated career, Ketlen Vieira is all respect for onetime title challenger Sara McMann.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Says 'Experience' Was Too Much for Conor McGregor | MMAWeekly.com

Ahead of the historic bout dubbed 'The Money Fight' in late August, Floyd Mayweather said all the right things to build up his opponent Conor McGregor. Despite the fact that it was the UFC lightweigh read news >>

Ex-WSOF title challenger Nick Newell returns from retirement, signs multi-fight deal with LFA

Nearly two years after surprising the MMA world with a sudden retirement after a win at WSOF 24, ex-title challenger Nick Newell is back.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Nick Newell, Former WSOF Title Challenger, Returns from Retirement | MMAWeekly.com

Former World Series of Fighting lightweight championship challenger Nick Newell has ended a two-year retirement to return to the cage. read news >>

UFC Countdown: Luke Rockhold vs. David Branch (FULL Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Go inside the gyms and lives of Luke Rockhold and David Branch ahead of their UFC Pittsburgh main event. read news >>

Geje Eustaquio Embracing Technology Ahead of ONE: Total Victory | MMAWeekly.com

Geje Eustaquio is chasing a championship believing he's just a step or two away. read news >>

Relive Blagoy Ivanov's Quick Finish of Shawn Jordan at WSOF 35 | MMAWeekly.com

WSOF35 featured a heavyweight championship main event between reigning kingpin Blagoy Ivanov (14-1) and No. 1 contender Shawn “Savage” Jordan (19-7). read news >>

David Branch ready for step up in competition vs. Luke Rockhold at UFC Fight Night 116

For former WSOF two-division champ David Branch, fighting ex-UFC champ Luke Rockhold is just another day at the office.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>