#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Bellator 183 #Yushin Okami #Takanori Gomi #Dong Hyun Kim

Fresh off a vicious knockout of Jay Hieron in his UFC debut on Saturday, Tyron Woodley is hoping for a busy year in the Octagon.

In fact, he’s already told UFC President Dana White that he’ll be available if someone drops out of the March 16 showdown between Carlos Condit and Rory MacDonald. It’s MacDonald in particular that Woodley has his eye on.

“I want to fight him,” Woodley told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “If anything happens with Carlos Condit, God forbid, or something happens with that fight, I already told Dana White.”

It’s not that Woodley thinks the highly touted MacDonald is a slouch. Rather, now is the time to beat him, in Woodley’s view.

“Nobody’s calling him out for a reason,” Woodley said. “Because he’s freaking unreal. But if you wait, you think he’s going to stop getting better? In two years, this kid’s probably going to be one of the best fighters in the game. I’d rather knock his butt off now like I knocked off [Tarec Saffiedine’s] just before he got the Strikeforce gold.”

There has also been some discussion among fans of a matchup between Woodley and fellow UFC 156 winner Demian Maia, who outgrappled and outpointed Jon Fitch on Saturday. Woodley isn’t too interested, though.

“Everybody’s been Tweeting about it,” he said. “I don’t mind the fight. If he fights me the way he fought Fitch, then it’s not that dangerous of a fight. He just took him down and jumped on his back.”

Maia’s ability to take down Fitch didn’t surprise or impress Woodley, who said the canvas was “super slippery.”

“There was almost no traction and no way to defend,” Woodley said. “When [Maia] got on [Fitch’s] back, he just had no answer for it. I think Demian Maia’s tough. He just didn’t really impress me very much. I think if you match us up, it’s going to be a boring fight and we’re both going to get hella flak. I would rather fight [Nick] Diaz, Rory MacDonald, Condit. I would rather fight one of those guys, to be honest. They’re going to bring out the fight. They’re going to make me fight harder.”

Regardless of whom he fights next, Woodley believes he’ll eventually end up at the top.

“I’m not running from trying to earn it,” he said. “I’m not running from taking the fights. I’ll get there. I think definitely my talent level is definitely top 10. I think my thirst and hunger wants to fight the top five.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:02:24).

Galleries

Demian Maia Fights

• a year ago
  • 2073 views

Rory MacDonald Fights

• a year ago

Tyron Woodley Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Rory MacDonald's all-caps Reddit AMA included a Robbie Lawler PED accusation

Former UFC welterweight title challenger and current Bellator contender Rory MacDonald didn’t hold back during today’s Reddit AMA.Filed under: Bellator, Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

When's UFC champ Tyron Woodley coming back? He's currently weighing options

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley is still trying to figure out what to do about a shoulder injury, but he’s just thankful the timing works out fairly well.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Not Interested in UFC 215? Blame Dana White.

If there existed a Promoter's Rulebook, somewhere among the first few rules listed would be:"Do not bury your athletes, no matter how angry they make you.*"And down at the bottom of the page, in a ti read news >>

Rafael Dos Anjos Calls Out Tyron Woodley, the UFC Champ Responds On Air | MMAWeekly.com

After dispatching of Neil Magny, Rafael Dos Anjos took aim at UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley. read news >>

Colby Covington goes off on 'fraud' UFC champ Tyron Woodley – and adds Snoop Dogg

Colby Covington has nothing good to say about Tyron Woodley or Snoop Dogg and his bad-mouthing of UFC fighters. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Champ Tyron Woodley responds to Rafael dos Anjos' callout, has eye on Bisping-GSP winner

Champ Tyron Woodley doesn’t appear interested in granting UFC 215 winner Rafael dos Anjos the next UFC welterweight title shot.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tyron Woodley May Undergo Surgery for Shoulder Injury; Considering Options

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley has a partial tear of his labrum, and surgery is an option, SiriusXM Radio's R.J. Clifford reported Tuesday. According to Clifford, Woodley will explore all of read news >>

Rafael dos Anjos wants title shot, promises not to let champ Tyron Woodley 'walk around'

Rafael dos Anjos believes his UFC 215 submission of Neil Magny should get him the next welterweight title shot vs. Tyron Woodley.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Sarah Moras got period, turned down shift delivering mail, got big UFC 215 win

UFC 215 was an emotional night for Sarah Moras. She returned after a two-year layoff, got her first UFC victory since 2014, and did it all after walking out to a song that her late father loved.Filed read news >>

UFC 215: Resurgent Rafael dos Anjos Puts Welterweight Division on Notice

After 2016 saw him drop his lightweight title and be summarily written out of the 155-pound title picture by back-to-back losses, Rafael dos Anjos looks reborn at welterweight. That was the takeaway read news >>