#UFC on Fox 29 #Dustin Poirier #Justin Gaethje #Conor McGregor #Daniel Cormier #Alexander Gustafsson #Jon Jones #Khabib Nurmagomedov #Chael Sonnen #Nate Diaz #UFC New York #UFC 217 #Stipe Miocic #Edson Barboza #Anthony Ferguson

Tyron Woodley Details His Plan for a UFC Return | MMAWeekly.com

UFC welterweight champion Tyron Woodley has been on the sidelines since July of 2017, but he recently laid out a map for his return to the Octagon.

Following a stint where he fought in four UFC title fights in the span of 12 months, Woodley has taken some time off. Though he initially was looking to land a big money fight against Georges St-Pierre or Nate Diaz following his title defense against Demian Maia at UFC 214, when neither of those bouts materialized, Woodley opted to have shoulder surgery that he’d been putting off.

That was in December. On Wednesday night, on UFC Tonight, Woodley gave an update on his progress and his prospects for a return.

Tyron Woodley - UFC 214 post“I feel really good. I had surgery in December. I had two series of PRP, as well as stem cell injections to my shoulder. I have one more series in April. After that, I’ll be in training camp,” Woodley said.

The champ has recently been talking about training undefeated, but retired, boxer Floyd Mayweather for a potential UFC debut, but he could do that without being at full strength. Woodley is already training again, just not to the extent it would take for him to be fight ready any time soon.

“I fought four world title fights in 12 months, if anybody deserves to heal and be back at 100 percent (it’s me). I will be back when it’s time for Tyron Woodley to be back,” Woodley added.

“My projection is July. The doctors are telling me that. I’m feeling good about it. I’m healing up very well. I’m back to training again. After I do that third series of PRP and stem cells, I’m gonna be 100 percent. Somebody is getting hurt.”

While Woodley is recovering, the welterweight division is moving forward. It appears that top contender Rafael Dos Anjos is going to face fellow contender Colby Covington at UFC 224 in May in Brazil, and there has been speculation about Kamaru Usman facing Darren Till in late May in Liverpool, England.

If both of those bouts take place, the smoke should clear on Woodley’s next defense.

“Everybody is gonna get it. It doesn’t matter. It’s just a matter of when. At the end of the day, every welterweight that wants to be at the top is gonna have to see me at some point,” Woodley said when asked about who is next for him.

“I could fight (Rafael Dos Anjos), I could fight Colby (Covington), I could fight (Kamaru) Usman, I could fight Darren Till. It’s a good time for the sport because I’ve got the red dot on me, but to be honest, I don’t think any of these guys want to see me. I’ve already beat the toughest guys in the division. I’m the champion for a reason. I got here the old school way,” he continued.

“They are doing what they are supposed to. They’re supposed to want to fight me. They’re supposed to want to be the UFC champion, but it’s not gonna happen.”

Galleries

Tyron Woodley Fights

• a year ago

Comments

UFC Fighter Amanda Lemos Suspended 2 Years by USADA for Doping Infraction | MMAWeekly.com

UFC women's bantamweight competitor Amanda Lemos has been suspended two years after testing positive for steroids from an out of competition drug test administered by USADA last year. USADA officials read news >>

Dana White: Tyron Woodley Had 'Doctor's Note' Saying He Can't Fight Until August | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White isn't ready to confirm Colby Covington facing Rafael dos Anjos in May but now it seems to make sense why that fight is happening with Tyron Woodley out until August. read news >>

Dana White Believes Nick Diaz is Interested in a UFC Fight | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White on Wednesday stated that he believes Nick Diaz, who will soon return from a suspension, is interested in returning to the Octagon. read news >>

Joe Rogan & Jimmy Smith Preview UFC 223: Tony Ferguson vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov | MMAWeekly.com

UFC commentators Joe Rogan and Jimmy Smith preview the highly anticipated UFC 223 lightweight championship bout between Tony Ferguson and Khabib Nurmagomedov. read news >>

Joe Rogan Rips the Win Bonus System in MMA That is 'Stealing' Money from Fighters | MMAWeekly.com

UFC color commentator Joe Rogan is fed up with fighters losing half their money based on a potentially disastrous decision from a judge. In the UFC and virtually every other mixed martial arts promot read news >>

Tyron Woodley Believes Floyd Mayweather Will Be Able to Handle Anyone in the UFC | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley laid out a timeline to begin training Floyd Mayweather for his MMA debut, adding that he thinks the boxer will be able to handle anyone in the UFC. read news >>

Tyron Woodley Explains Floyd Mayweather's Route to UFC Success | MMAWeekly.com

Tyron Woodley recently spoke at length about how he could prepare Floyd Mayweather for a successful trip to the UFC Octagon. read news >>

Amanda Nunes and Raquel Pennington Put Friendship Aside for UFC 224 Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

UFC women's bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes and her UFC 224 challenger Raquel Pennington are friends, but that isn't going to get in the way of their goals. read news >>

UFC Returns to Hamburg, Germany on July 22 | MMAWeekly.com

For the second time, the UFC octagon will travel to Hamburg, Germany. UFC officials announced on Tuesday that the fight promotion will return to Hamburg on Sunday, July 22 for a Fight Night event. UF read news >>

Listen In On The UFC 223 Media Conference Call Live at 5 PM ET | MMAWeekly.com

UFC will host a media conference call with all four athletes competing in title fights on the UFC 223 fight card on Wednesday at 5 p.m. ET. read news >>

Josh Barnett Remains Out of Drug Testing Pool Further Delaying Possible UFC Return | MMAWeekly.com

Josh Barnett has been cleared to return to action after going to arbitration with USADA but he's still at least six months away from actually competing in the UFC. Last week, Barnett received a 'publ read news >>

Conor McGregor Issues Arnold Schwarzenegger Well Wishes After Heart Surgery | MMAWeekly.com

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor issued a heartfelt message to friend and inspiration Arnold Schwarzenegger after the former bodybuilder-turned-actor-turned-governor underwent successful heart read news >>

Max Holloway: 'Opportunities Like This Come Once in a Lifetime' | MMAWeekly.com

UFC featherweight champion Max Holloway was as surprised as everyone else when he got the call to step up and fight for the lightweight title. read news >>

Tony Ferguson Details Injury, Doesn't Think He Should Be Stripped of UFC Interim Title | MMAWeekly.com

This time last week, Tony Ferguson was the interim lightweight champ and headed into a fight for the undisputed title. Now he's injured and without a belt. read news >>

Dana White Claims Warrant is Out for Conor McGregor After 'Most Disgusting' Incident in UFC History | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White says an arrest warrant has been issued for lightweight champion Conor McGregor after an altercation at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn on Thursday. "There is a warrant out fo read news >>

Artem Lobov Pulled from UFC 223 After Participating in Conor McGregor Melee | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor teammate Artem Lobov has been removed from UFC 223 after he joined McGregor's backstage rampage at the Barclays Center on Thursday. read news >>

Search for: