kj-noons-18.jpgLAS VEGAS – The world of social media did a good job of picking up KJ Noons when he was feeling a little down.

Without them? Well, who knows what he’d have done after his controversial split-decision loss to Ryan Couture in January.

But the Twitters and the Facebooks all blew up saying Noons won the fight and was robbed at the Strikeforce finale. Even UFC President Dana White chimed in on it, believing the judges got it wrong.

All that support – and the support of White and the UFC – bolstered Noons.

“At this age, if I can’t be on the biggest show, fighting the best guys in the world, if (the UFC) wouldn’t have taken me, it would’ve been over,” Noons on Thursday told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “But the support and people saying, ‘You got robbed,’ that really rejuvenated me. And the UFC saying, ‘We’ll stand behind you and bring you over,’ that was a new beginning. A second run at it.”

Noons thought he was in a win-and-you’re-in, lose-and-go-home situation when he fought Couture. The loss should’ve meant he didn’t move into the UFC – but White stood behind him.

Noons (11-6 MMA, 0-0 UFC) on Saturday makes his UFC debut when he meets Donald Cerrone (19-5 MMA, 6-2 UFC) to open the main card of UFC 160 at MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas. The main card airs on pay-per-view after prelims on FX and Facebook.

The disappointment of the Couture loss was short-lived. But in his UFC debut, he brings in four losses in his past five fights – and gets one of the lightweight division’s toughest draws in Cerrone, a man who like Noons is known for exciting fights.

It’s the classic “This has ‘Fight of the Night’ written all over it” scenario with Noons-Cerrone, and Noons hopes Cerrone is coming to play.

“I’ve always been put up stylistically against somebody that’s excited for a good fight,” Noons said. “But I don’t think people realize how hard these fighters try to take me to the ground, and how hard I train not to. So really, I’m the one making it exciting. I train so hard to keep it on the top where I feel the advantage is, and they want to bring it to where their advantage is. Most guys are little more well-rounded on the ground and can take me – they think. But this is MMA, and it can go anywhere.”

Despite the rough patch Noons has had starting with his Strikeforce welterweight title shot against Nick Diaz, he believes the loss to Couture has helped put him back a new path.

“If I lost, you don’t get into the UFC,” Noons said. “That’s how I was looking at it. But them saying they’ll take me, that got me back on track. Everybody knew what really happened. That lifted my spirits.

“I’m super excited. It’s a great opportunity for me. I’ve been in the fight game for a long time, and it feels like a rebirth. I’m motivated.”

For the latest on UFC 160, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

Twitter reacts to Valentina Shevchenko’s submission of Pena, confrontation with Nunes at UFC on FOX 23

Valentina Shevchenko continued to thrive in the UFC women’s bantamweight division when she earned her second consecutive FOX-televised main event victory on Saturday at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: Fea read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Following Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event in Denver, several of the winning and losing fighters took to social media to react to the event or share a message with supporters.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ex-champ Fabricio Werdum talks Dos Santos, title shot hopes and social media accusations

Former UFC heavyweight champ Fabricio Werdum still eyes a rematch against current titleholder Stipe Miocic, but welcomes scrap with fellow ex-champ and countryman Junior Dos Santos for the interim ti read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 video highlights: Valentina Shevchenko vs. Julianna Pena

People may have been picking Valentina Shevchenko to beat Julianna Pena. But no one was really expecting her to get it done on the ground.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter reacts to Francis Ngannou's KO of ex-champ Andrei Arlovski at UFC on FOX 23

A new contender was born in the UFC heavyweight division on Saturday when Francis Ngannou defeated Andrei Arlovski at UFC on FOX 23.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Twitter reacts to Jorge Masvidal's TKO of Donald Cerrone at UFC on FOX 23

Jorge Masvidal earned arguably the most significant victory of his UFC career on Saturday when he defeated Donald Cerrone in the UFC on FOX 23 co-main event.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter reacts to Felice Herrig's upset of Alexa Grasso at UFC Fight Night 104

Marquee strawweight prospect Alexa Grasso was handed her first career loss on Saturday when she was beaten by Felice Herrig in the UFC Fight Night 104 co-main event at Toyota Center in Houston.Filed read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104: The Real Winners and Losers from Houston Fight Card

The UFC helped keep the Super Bowl party going in Houston with UFC Fight Night 104 in Houston. The return of "The Korean Zombie" Chan Sung Jung against Dennis Bermudez headlined the event. It was eve read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

Since the early days when the sport was anything but a mainstream endeavor, the MMA industry has thrived and survived through various websites, forums and, perhaps most importantly, social-media plat read news >>

Holm vs. De Randamie: UFC 208 Odds, Predictions and Pre-Fight Twitter Hype

UFC 208 may not have the star power to sell a million pay-per-view buys, but it's a good card to watch if you're a diehard UFC fan. For the casual fan, there is no Conor McGregor, no Ronda Rousey and read news >>