(This story appeared in today’s edition of USA TODAY.)
A female transgender MMA fighter is under investigation by the Florida State Boxing Commission.
“Our department is currently investigating allegations pertaining to the information provided on the application,” said Sandi Copes Poreda, a spokeswoman for the commission, which licensed Fallon Fox to fight as a woman.
SI.com reported Monday that Fox, 37, had gender reassignment surgery in 2006 along with supplemental hormonal therapy.
Fox on Saturday knocked out a woman in 39 seconds in a fight in Coral Cables, Fla. As an amateur and a professional, Fox holds a 5-0 record, with all five wins coming in the first round.
On her fight license application, which was obtained by MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), Fox said she had been licensed by the California State Athletic Commission, which likely helped procure a license in Florida. The California commission, however, said Fox’s license, which was submitted in February and included medical documentation, was under review and not approved.
The Florida commission confirmed that Fox received a pregnancy test per commission rules but was not drug tested. Executive director Andy Foster said the California commission was in the process of changing its forms to eliminate confusion over a receipt (which reflects a $60 licensing fee) that he thought was interpreted by Fallon as a license. Fox told MMAjunkie.com that she didn’t knowingly misrepresent herself to the Florida commission and thought she had been approved by California.
Fox’s next bout, which was scheduled for April 20 as part of semifinals in an eight-woman tournament at 145 pounds, is on hold as her promoter, Championship Fighting Alliance, has canceled the event in a show of support.
“We stand 120,000 percent behind Fallon,” Championship Fighting Alliance CEO Jorge De La Nova said. “She’s a female. She’s a very sweet girl. There’s a lot of money on the line for her, and she’s performed very well. We’re going to give her a couple of weeks to see how this thing turns out.”view original article >>
With the ink just dry on a deal with the UFC to fight Floyd Mayweather, Conor McGregor has again applied for a boxing license in Nevada.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>