#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Kevin Lee #Nate Diaz #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Fight Night Rotterdam #Holly Holm #Darren Till #Anderson Silva #Demetrious Johnson

Georges St. Pierre’s camp believes he’ll be fully recovered from tearing his ACL when he climbs into the Octagon Nov. 17 against Carlos Condit, but a little more time would have been preferred.

“It was tough,” trainer Firas Zahabi told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Rewind” show. “I would have preferred, obviously, if he could have waited a little longer. I think it would have been the best, more ideal, but Georges really wanted to fight. The fans wanted to see him fight. The fight’s coming to Montreal. I told Georges, ‘Let’s do one last sparring. Let’s see where you’re at in sparring.’ And he did great. He went all his rounds. He went with every UFC fighter. He looked fantastic, and we said, ‘Look, you’re ready. Let’s do it.’”

The UFC welterweight champion injured his ACL in December while training for a scheduled title defense against Condit. Condit went on to defeat Nick Diaz and claim the interim welterweight title. Meanwhile St. Pierre has been on the road to recovery.

“The only reason I said I would have liked to wait longer is because I wouldn’t want to rush the healing process, not that we did, but we really did it right on the deadline,” Zahabi said. “They said, ‘OK, you’ll be ready for this kind of training then,’ and we really hit it right away on that date, as soon as he got verified and all that.”

St. Pierre received medical clearance in late August. His bout against Condit will headline UFC 154 at the Bell Centre in Montreal -- GSP’s hometown.

“He’s never been sidelined this long, and it was eating away at him,” Zahabi said. “He really wanted to start training again. He really wanted to fight again. All he would talk to me about is what he wants to do next in his next training camp, what he wants to do in his next fight. … He was just foaming at the mouth for training. Once we started training, of course we had to go slow and nice and easy, but he was back in his good mood and he was doing what he loves again. I think he really realized how much he loves being a professional fighter and how much he loves training and having this lifestyle because it was briefly taken away from him.”

Early on in his recovery, St. Pierre was understandably favoring his knee. That’s not the case anymore, though. A recent training session convinced Zahabi that the champion’s knee is ready to go.

“It was very intense training,” Zahabi said. “He did five rounds. He’s completely healed. He’s completely healed or he would have got hurt yesterday. I’m looking forward to his next fight. I really think he’s going to do well. Of course there’s always that mental aspect. You haven’t been in there in so long. You kind of lost a beat, but Georges has been fighting since such a young age. ... He understands competition. He’s dealt with those butterflies a lot of times from a very young age. I’m confident that it’s really ingrained, hardwired into his mind. I don’t think it’s going to be a problem for him.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:43).

Galleries

Georges St Pierre GSP Fights

Comments

3 reasons Edmond Tarverdyan pushing for Ronda Rousey to fight Cris Cyborg is troubling

Ronda Rousey’s coach believes it’s 50-50 she fights again, but his preferred opponent forces us to wonder what his true motives might be.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Patricky Freire says he should get title shot before Michael Chandler

Bellator lightweight Patricky “Pitbull” Freire believes he’s earned the right to cut the line of contenders at 155 pounds.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Mueller believes she can be champ

“I feel like I’m so blessed that I found MMA and realized this is my calling,” she said. “I feel like I’m not just gonna be good at this; I truly believe that I’m going to be great and going to be a read news >>

Crowder believes fighting for the fans is most important

“The fans are the most important, that’s who we’re out there fighting for,” Crowder said. “Without them, we’re beating each other up for no reason. You want to have a good fan base, you want people f read news >>

Freddie Roach: Georges St-Pierre's Punches Pack More Power Than Ever | MMAWeekly.com

Legendary boxing trainer Freddie Roach is working with former welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre for his return fight at UFC 217. read news >>

Conor McGregor Believes He'd Beat Floyd Mayweather in a Rematch | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is a man who learns from his mistakes. Much like avenging his loss to Nate Diaz in March 2016 by returning with a victory five months later in the rematch, McGregor has that same feeli read news >>

Kevin Lee: Tony Ferguson's toughness just means he'll 'take a longer ass-whooping' at UFC 216

Kevin Lee believes Tony Ferguson is done evolving as a fighter, “and if you stop evolving, you start dying.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 216's Fabricio Werdum: I deserve title shot with impressive win over Derrick Lewis

Fabricio Werdum believes an impressive win vs. Derrick Lewis at UFC 216 should get him the next shot at heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Kevin Lee to Conor McGregor: 'This is for the Real Lightweight Championship' | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee believes his title fight with Tony Ferguson is for the true lightweight championship and it will reduce the importance of Conor McGregor's belt. read news >>