#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Bellator 183 #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Yushin Okami #Takanori Gomi #Dong Hyun Kim

Miguel Torres (file photo) has lost sleep over the decision at UFC 130. | Photo: Sherdog.com

The unanimous decision Miguel Torres dropped to Demetrious Johnson at UFC 130 has been a tough one to swallow.

“I haven’t been able to sleep,” Torres said during a June 3 “Savage Dog Show” interview. “I just keep replaying things in my mind.”

All three judges -- Dave Hagen, Glenn Trowbridge and Tony Weeks -- scored the fight 29-28 for Johnson.

“Demetrious did a good job. He was real tough,” Torres said. “I just thought I was on offense the whole fight. I had him defending. I thought I landed 100 percent of the strikes. … I don’t take anything away from him. I just thought I did enough to secure a victory, but the judges didn’t see it that way and it is what it is.”

Torres said he knew he’d won the opening round. He thought the second was close but that he deserved it on account of his active guard. In the third, he swept Johnson and took full mount with roughly two minutes left. His corner instructed him to keep position and ride out the win.

“I was doing that,” Torres said, “and I started hearing people, ‘He’s just dry humping him, stand them up! He’s not doing anything!’ When you’ve got a really short guy like that and you try to throw elbows and try to hit him, he’s going to scramble to get out. I started hearing these things, and I was like, ‘Man, I don’t want to win another fight just by laying in the mount.’ … I went for attacks. I went for it and I paid the price.”

Johnson eventually escaped to his feet and hit another takedown, which might have swayed the judges. Overall, Torres feels the officials gave the win to the fighter on top rather than the fighter who was attacking the most. He explained that coach Firas Zahabi had warned him along those lines.

“My trainer, Firas, wanted me to hold position more and not attack submissions so much because going into it, we knew he was a good scrambler and he’s really short, has short limbs and a short, stocky neck,” Torres said. “I wanted to attack. I wanted to put on a show for the fans. I didn’t want to lay on the guy and not do anything. Maybe in hindsight I should have done that.”

Plenty of what-ifs have swirled through Torres’ mind since the loss. Now he wants to get back in the cage as soon as possible, and it sounds like he’ll change his approach for the next fight.

“It was frustrating, but like I said, I know what to do for my next fight,” Torres said. “People might not like it. It might be a little boring, but the biggest thing is to secure a win however I can. If that means laying on somebody or just holding them down, it’s going to have to be that way.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:00:08).

Galleries

Demetrious Johnson Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Ray Borg says he'll easily make weight for UFC 215 title fight; Demetrious Johnson believes him

“I’ve corrected my mistakes,” Ray Borg says of his past weight-cut struggles.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson plans to keep adding to UFC title defense record – because why would he stop at 11?

Champ Demetrious Johnson believes he still has plenty of competition in the UFC flyweight position.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Demetrious Johnson chases UFC history, makes a questionable nickname change

Should we be concerned about Ray Borg missing weight? What about Demetrious Johnson’s new nickname? That and more in this Twitter Mailbag.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 215's Neil Magny: Welterweight title shot 'within reach' if I beat Rafael dos Anjos

Neil Magny believes he could slide into a UFC welterweight title shot with a good showing vs. Rafael dos Anjos at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 215 Countdown: Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg | MMAWeekly.com

On the verge of breaking Anderson Silva's record for title defenses, Demetrious Johnson and his longtime coach brace for a career-making moment. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson: TJ Dillashaw Superfight Demands Superfight Money | MMAWeekly.com

Leading up UFC 215, Demetrious Johnson talks about his frosty relationship with Dana White over refusing to fight TJ Dillashaw. read news >>

Coach: Demetrious Johnson's 11th UFC title defense will be 'biggest thing in combat sports'

Demetrious Johnson’s head coach Matt Hume says it’s always been the plan to set the UFC record for most consecutive title defensesFiled under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson: 'I Have a Target On My Back' (UFC 215 Main Event Preview) | MMAWeekly.com

One of the most dominant champions in UFC history returns to the Octagon this Saturday to defend his title against No. 3 ranked flyweight Ray Borg at UFC 215. read news >>

UFC 215 - Fight by Fight Preview

Preview the entire UFC 215 card with this fight-by-fight preview, featuring the main event title fight between Demetrious Johnson and Ray Borg. read news >>

Demetrious Johnson vs. Ray Borg scratched from UFC 215 headliner

No, seriously. The planned headliner for Saturday’s event between UFC flyweight champion and Ray Borg has been called off less than 12 hours before the fighters were set to hit the scales.Filed under read news >>