#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Nick Diaz #Michael Bisping #Donald Cerrone #Robbie Lawler #Cormier vs. Jones 2

Johny Hendricks at UFC 141UFC welterweight champion Georges St-Pierre was recently cast to star in Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier as villain Batroc the Leaper.  The sequel to the 2011 blockbuster Captain America: The First Avenger is expected to hit theaters on April 4, 2014, with production wrapping up this fall.

Top UFC welterweight contender Johny Hendricks would like for the fight to happen in August, but will wait for his title shot until St-Pierre’s return.

“If he wants to do that, more power to him.  Now I have it.  Now I know I have that fight.  Nothing stands in my way between me and GSP.  That was my main concern right there, to make sure I’m the No. 1 contender and no one can steal that spot,” said Hendricks about the possibility of waiting until the fall or even winter to face the champion.

“It doesn’t bother me to know that I’d like to fight in August, but if it’s September I’m fine with that too,” Hendricks told Knockout Radio, an official MMAWeekly.com content partner.

If St-Pierre is unable to defend his title until the end of the year, Hendricks will not accept a fight before facing the titleholder.

“I’d say no way,” said Hendricks when asked whether he’d take another fight if offered.  “If he gets to wait, then I want to wait for him.”

St-Pierre’s last four fights have taken place in his home country of Canada.  Hendricks doesn’t care where the two fight as long as they do fight.

“Hey, I do not care, you know what I mean?  I don’t care where it’s at.  I just want a shot at that belt so bad I can almost taste it,” he said.  “Nothing else matters but getting that belt.”

Hendricks earned his title shot by defeating Carlos Condit at UFC 158: St-Pierre vs. Diaz on March 16.  In the second and third rounds, Hendricks put his wrestling ability on display, something that gets overlooked behind his one-punch knockout power.

St-Pierre utilizes his wrestling ability to dominate his opponents with top control, but Hendricks doesn’t think the champion will be able to do that to him.

“I wrestled Division I.  I was a national champion, but here in the MMA world people act like I don’t have wrestling,” said Hendricks. “One thing I think I did showcase is that my wrestling is just as strong, if not stronger, that GSP’s.”

We won’t know for sure whose MMA wrestling is superior until St-Pierre and Hendricks set foot in the Octagon together, but that is no longer a question of if, but when.

Listen to Knockout Radio every Wednesday from 6 to 8 p.m. EST on MMAWeekly.com and follow them on Twitter.

Galleries

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Former UFC champ Johny Hendricks packs up trailer and heads for Jackson-Wink MMA

Perhaps a change of scenery will do some good for former UFC welterweight champion Johny Hendricks ahead of his UFC 217 bout.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Johny Hendricks opens up on move to Jackson Wink MMA

Former UFC welterweight champ Johny Hendricks knew he could no longer continue down the same path after his latest loss.Filed under: Featured, News, Radio Highlight, UFC read news >>

Johny Hendricks Training at Jackson-Winkeljohn Academy Ahead of UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

Former welterweight champion Johny Hendricks knows he might be in a do-or-die situation heading into his next fight at UFC 217. That's why Hendricks is pulling out all the stops to ensure he shows up read news >>

'Countdown to UFC 216' full episode with Ferguson-Lee, Johnson-Borg, Lewis-Werdum

Did you miss the debut of “Countdown to UFC 216,” or just want to watch it again? Check out the full episode now.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Kevin Lee Explains Why He Hopes Tony Ferguson Can Survive to the Championship Rounds at UFC 216 | MMAWeekly.com

Kevin Lee isn't lacking confidence ahead of his first title fight at UFC 216 read news >>

Report: Myles Jury vs. Rick Glenn added to UFC 219 in Las Vegas

An intriguing bantamweight bout appears to be on for UFC 219.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Check Out the Choke That Earned Alex Perez a UFC Contract | MMAWeekly.com

Alex Perez was a man on a mission when he met Kevin Gray on Contender Series. Perez earned a UFC contract when locked in a D'Arce choke in the first round. read news >>

Tim Means replaces Jesse Taylor vs. Belal Muhammad at UFC Fight Night 121 in Sydney

Tim Means is in for Jesse Taylor against Belal Muhammad at UFC Fight Night 121 next month in Australia.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dana White Says WWE Didn't Want Brock Lesnar to Fight in UFC Under Contract

UFC President Dana White said on a recent episode of ESPN's Dan Le Batard Show that WWE would not allow Brock Lesnar to fight again in the UFC while under contract with WWE. During the interview (h/t read news >>

Reminder: UFC 218 tickets on sale this week for Holloway vs. Edgar in Detroit

As a reminder, tickets for the UFC’s return to Michigan are on sale today.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>