#Bellator 185 #Gegard Mousasi #Alexander Shlemenko #Kristina Williams #Bellator MMA #Heather Hardy #Neiman Gracie #Zak Bucia #Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Fight Night Rotterdam #Tony Ferguson #Venom

After more than two and a half years away from the UFC, Todd Duffee was relieved to get back in the Octagon and score a win Dec. 29 at UFC 155.

The 27-year-old heavyweight stopped Philip De Fries with punches 2:04 into the first round.

“It’s a big relief,” Duffee told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “I can actually kind of relax for the fact that all I have to worry about now is training and fighting. I don’t have to be sitting on the phone trying to figure out when can I get a fight.”

Duffee debuted in the UFC with a seven-second knockout of Tim Hague in August 2009. However, he was released after a loss to Mike Russow and struggled to get fights outside of the promotion.

“The big thing, I think, [about] this time away was it hurt my development,” Duffee said. “I think I could have improved a lot more in the last two years had I not been dealing with some of the situations I had.”

Duffee was 1-1 in his time outside of the UFC, losing via knockout to Alistair Overeem before stopping Neil Grove. His inability to stay active caused him to consider retirement.

“I was at the point financially that the efforts I was putting in, it wasn’t paying off,” Duffee said. “It didn’t make a lot of sense. You start feeling stupid after a certain amount of time, like how delusional am I? But it did pay off, and I’m excited that I’ve got things back on track.”

Not only is Duffee back in the UFC, he has settled at one of the premier training camps in MMA: American Kickboxing Academy. There, he trains alongside UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez and also Daniel Cormier, among others.

“I think wrestling’s a huge part of the sport, and that’s what I’ve always kind of been chasing, to get that kind of training, and I’m getting it,” Duffee said. “Obviously [AKA] is going to help me there. It’s going to help me everywhere. It’s a good camp, and the best thing about it is they’ve got great bodies in there to work with and we all work together really well.”

Duffee sees himself sticking with AKA, and though he once considered retirement, he sees himself fighting for some time as well.

“In my career it’s been pretty evident that I’ve seen some of the absolute highs of the highs of this sport and I’ve also seen some of the lows of the lows,” he said. “That’s everybody in this sport. If they stick around long enough and they really stick through it, that stuff’s going to happen. To sum it up, it’s been a roller coaster, but I’ve still found a way to really truly enjoy it.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:13:17).

Comments

Watch the 15-Second KO That Earned Karl Roberson at UFC Contract | MMAWeekly.com

See the fight and spectacular finish that earned Karl Roberson a UFC contract on Dana White's Tuesday Night Contender Series! read news >>

Mizuto Hirota pulled from UFC-Japan after scary weigh-in incident

Perhaps in a not-so-stunning move, the UFC has pulled Mizuto Hirota from UFC Fight Night 117.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Mizuto Hirota Pulled from UFC Fight Night in Japan After Disastrous Weight Cut | MMAWeekly.com

Mizuto Hirota has been pulled from his fight against Charles Rosa at UFC Fight Night in Japan following a scary weigh-in on Thursday morning. UFC officials confirmed the news late Thursday night. "Du read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux vs. Yushin Okami: UFC Japan Joe Rogan Preview | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) UFC commentator Joe Rogan breaks down the main event of Fight Night Japan between Ovince Saint Preux and Yushin Okami. TRENDING > If Garbrandt or Dillashaw Pulls Out of UFC 217, Dom read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 play-by-play and live results (8 p.m. ET)

MMAjunkie is reporting live from UFC Fight Night 117. Join us for live play-by-play and official results beginning at 8 p.m. ET.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 discussion thread

MMAjunkie is reporting live from UFC Fight Night 117 in Saitama, Japan, which kicks off at 8 p.m. ET. You can discuss the event here.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Video: Watch UFC Fight Night 117's post-event press conference on MMAjunkie

Watch a live video stream of the UFC Fight Night 117 post-event press conference from Japan here on MMAjunkie at approximately 1:15 a.m. ET.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

How to watch UFC-Japan tonight: Fight card, start time, online results, how to stream Saint Preux vs. Okami

The UFC returns to Japan tonight with UFC Fight Night 117. Here’s how to watch.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Despite mixed results, high hopes for ex-UFC fighters in Bellator

It hasn’t been smooth sailing so far for Benson Henderson or Lorenz Larkin. Roy Nelson tests the waters for the first time at Bellator 183.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News read news >>

Felipe Arantes vs. Josh Emmett added to UFC Fight Night 118 in Poland

The upcoming UFC Fight Night 118 event in Poland has a new addition: Felipe Arantes vs. Josh Emmett.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>