#UFC Fight Night 83 #Saturday Night Fights #GGG #Luke Rockhold #David Branch #Golovkin vs. Canelo #Golovkin vs Canelo #HBO Boxing PPV - Golovkin vs. Canelo #UFC 215 #Jon Jones

If Martin Kampmann gets by Johny Hendricks at UFC 154 on Nov. 17, he believes he’ll deserve a shot at the UFC welterweight title. Certainly he’ll have a good case for getting the opportunity.

“If I win this fight, I am the No. 1 contender,” Kampmann told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Beatdown” show. “No doubt. Nobody’s got the same resume I do in the UFC in the welterweight division. I’ve beaten the best guys. There’s no other welterweight that’s coming on the same streak that I have.”

Kampmann has won three straight since dropping controversial decisions to Jake Shields and Diego Sanchez. This year he has finished both Thiago Alves and Jake Ellenberger.

“There’s other guys coming up with a bunch of hype behind them, but really who have they fought? They haven’t fought anybody tough,” Kampmann said. “They haven’t fought anybody good, but they’re getting the hype train behind them. Look at the guys I’ve fought and compare that to anybody in the welterweight division. I’ve fought some of the best guys in the division.”

Hendricks has too. He’s won four straight, including a knockout of Jon Fitch and a split decision over Josh Koscheck. Kampmann is more than familiar with him -- they used to train together.

“He used to help me out with my wrestling, so I know him pretty well,” Kampmann said. “I was helping him out with his standup. We trained together, and I feel I’m the better striker. I’m definitely much slicker than he is, but he’s improved a lot, just like my wrestling has improved a lot. I’ve been taking guys down that have better wrestling credentials than me.”

In Kampmann’s view, Hendricks has the best wrestling resume in the UFC. He was a two-time NCAA champion at Oklahoma St. University, but he also packs power in his hands.

“I feel definitely I would have the advantage in the standup, but he’s still got heavy hands that I’ve got to respect and watch out for,” Kampmann said. “I’m going to stay out of danger. I usually do, but I usually do get punched a little bit. It’s a fight -- I’m going to get punched, but I can eat a shot and I can dish it back out.”

Of course, even if Kampmann beats Hendricks, there’s always a chance he might not get an immediate title shot. Georges St. Pierre could beat Carlos Condit at UFC 154 and put the division on hold to fight Anderson Silva, or Condit could beat St. Pierre and set up a rematch. Regardless, Kampmann has a plan to get himself a crack at the belt.

“I want to put it in my own hands,” he said, “and the way I’m going to put it in my own hands is by knocking out Johny Hendricks.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 1:01:00).

Galleries

Johny Hendricks Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Dana White reveals plans for Jon Jones vs. Stipe Miocic at UFC 218 before failed drug test

UFC President Dana White said the plan was for Jon Jones to fight heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic at UFC 218 before Jones’ failed drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Reebok didn't flub Demetrious Johnson's T-shirt; UFC champ plans on changing his nickname

It looked like the UFC’s official apparel partner flubbed again with Demetrious Johnson’s nickname. Not so, says “Mighty Mouse” (for now).Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UF read news >>

UFC champ Amanda Nunes thinks she won 4 of 5 rounds, plans to take off rest of 2017

UFC women’s bantamweight champ Amanda Nunes has no doubt she dominated Valentina Shevchenko, winning four of five rounds in their rematch at UFC 215.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Demetrious Johnson plans to keep adding to UFC title defense record – because why would he stop at 11?

Champ Demetrious Johnson believes he still has plenty of competition in the UFC flyweight position.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Luke Rockhold Plans Move to Light Heavyweight After Daniel Cormier Retires | MMAWeekly.com

Luke Rockhold has some unfinished business in the UFC middleweight division, but it doesn't sound like the former champion plans on staying at 185 pounds that much longer. On Saturday night, Rockhold read news >>

UFC-Japan broadcast plans set for FXX, including Alan Jouban's analyst debut

• a day ago

UFC Fight Night 117 in Japan this weekend will feature the in-studio debut of a new fight analyst.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Controversial Judge from Canelo vs. Golovkin Pulled from UFC 216 Duties | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

A scoring controversy surrounding the boxing match this past weekend between Saul "Canelo" Alvarez and Gennady "GGG" Golovkin has resulted in a judging change for the upcoming UFC 216 card in Las Veg read news >>

Ronda Rousey's Trainer Says There's a '50-50' Chance She Fights in UFC Again

• a day ago

Ronda Rousey's trainer, Edmond Tarverdyan, told the MMA Hour on Monday that he believes the UFC superstar may fight again, giving her a 50-50 chance to return to the Octagon. "It's going to be her de read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping: Georges St-Pierre fight could be my last – win or lose

• a day ago

“There’s a lot of people saying, ‘Mike, you should retire,'” and Michael Bisping is giving it serious consideration.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Michael Bisping Might Retire After Fighting Georges St-Pierre | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

UFC middleweight champion Michael Bisping is considering retirement after he fights Georges St-Pierre. read news >>