Tito Ortiz and Dana White at UFC Hall of Fame inductionIn just five short years, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones has rocketed into the conversation about the greatest fighters of all time.

He readily admits that it’s still too soon for him to challenge Anderson Silva for top honors as the top pound-for-pound fighter on the planet, but Jones fully intends to keep working in that direction.

The next step is laying sole claim to the UFC record for most light heavyweight title defenses, which he currently shares with UFC Hall of Famer Tito Ortiz.

Jones’ recent destruction of Chael Sonnen at UFC 159 put him on par with Ortiz’s mark of five successful light heavyweight title defenses. Now, before he considers moving into superfights or the heavyweight division, he wants to break that record.

“One thing I’ve been contemplating is first tying Tito Ortiz, and then establishing that record of the most (light heavyweight title defense) wins in my next fight, maybe in November, and after that fight in November, entertaining superfights and heavyweight fights,” said Jones.

Ortiz has always carried his achievements proudly, but if anyone is going to surpass him in the record books, he’s okay with it being Jon Jones.

“I don’t want to see him break my record,” Ortiz told MMAWeekly.com content partner Knockout Radio on Wednesday night. “But if anyone is going to beat my record, I would like to see Jon Jones do it because he is that special of an athlete.

“He’s got great speed, great balance, great wrestling technique, and his mind is super strong.  It’s just one of those things that, if he does beat my record, I guess I can give him nothing but respect because, if anyone is going to break my record, I would like to see Jon Jones do it.”

Ortiz would even go so far as to make sure he’s in attendance at Jones’ next fight – whenever that should be – to see if his record falls to the wayside.

“Of course I’m going to show up,” he declared. “I’m not going to miss that. I want to watch, in person, the guy who is going to beat my record. I would love to be a part of something great at that event.”

Jones is currently nursing an injured foot, expecting to be sidelined for the next few weeks, so it’s unclear just how soon he’ll be bak in the Octagon, gunning for sole possession of the record. But rest assured, he’ll be gunning for it.

Listen to Knockout Radio every Wednesday from 6 to 8 p.m. EST on MMAWeekly.com and follow @KnockoutRadio on Twitter.

Tito Ortiz Comments on Claims of Chael Sonnen Fight Being Fixed in TMZ Exclusive

Tito Ortiz has refuted speculation that his fight with Chael Sonnen at Bellator 170 was fixed, telling those who doubt him to stop by his gym so he can choke them out himself. The 42-year-old fought read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2370 with Bellator 170's Tito Ortiz, Eric Nicksick

Stream or download Wednesday’s edition of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Tito Ortiz and Eric Nicksick.Filed under: Bellator, News, Radio read news >>

Tito Ortiz on Chael Sonnen fixed-fight accusers: They're anti-Donald Trump or anti-me

Tito Ortiz had to have known the question was going to come, and he was ready with an answer. Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Knockout Radio Podcast: Tito Ortiz, Melvin Guillard, Brandon Lewis, and Kevin Carter | MMAWeekly.com

Join Knockout Radio for their podcast with Tito Ortiz, Melvin Guillard, Brandon Lewis, & ESPN's Kevin Carter. Plus, all the hottest MMA news! read news >>

Sam Alvey Wants to Set Record for Most UFC Fights | MMAWeekly.com

After beating Nate Marquardt at UFC on FOX 23, Smilin' Sam Alvey has his eyes on setting the record for most UFC fights in a calendar year. read news >>

Dana White Addresses Tito Ortiz vs. Chael Sonnen Fixed Fight Claims | MMAWeekly.com

Was Tito Ortiz's final fight a work? Was the fix in? UFC president Dana White weighs in. read news >>

Jon Jones Likely to Face Daniel Cormier-Anthony Johnson Winner, Says Dana White

Jon Jones may have a nice gift waiting for him when he comes back from his yearlong suspension: a UFC light heavyweight championship fight. In an interview on the UFC Unfiltered podcast (h/t FoxSport read news >>

White: Jones could be next for Cormier-Johnson winner; Romero still next for champ Bisping

Jon Jones could get another chance to win UFC gold. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Felice Herrig v2.0 Puts First Blemish on Alexa Grasso's Record (UFC Houston Results) | MMAWeekly.com

A new and improved Felice Herrig took a unanimous decision over Alexa Grasso at UFC Fight Night 104 on Saturday in Houston. read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104 post-fight facts: Jessica Andrade ties 2 UFC champs in record books

UFC Fight Night 104 featured the first underdog main-event victory of 2017 when Chan Sung Jung defeated Dennis Bermudez in Saturday’s featherweight headliner at Toyota Center in Houston. Check out al read news >>