#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Rizin 7 #Tony Ferguson #Nick Diaz #GSP #Kevin Lee #Nate Diaz #Quinton Jackson #Michael Bisping

Daniel Cormier StrikeforceFormer Oklahoma State wrestling standout and two-time Olympian Daniel Cormier has long been discussed as a contender in the UFC heavyweight division.

Serving as main sparring partner and head coach for UFC heavyweight champion Cain Velasquez, Cormier currently sits undefeated in his MMA career and is knocking on the door of a title shot with each victory.

At UFC 166 on Saturday night in Houston, Cormier dispatched of his most recent test by defeating the bearded brawler, “Big Country” Roy Nelson via unanimous decision.  The win marked Cormier’s thirteenth win in a row and came on the heels of victories over Frank Mir, Josh Barnett and Antonio “Big Foot” Silva – all perennial Top 10 heavyweights.

With his stock rising at a quickening pace, questions have long been asked as to whether Velasquez and Cormier would ever put their friendship aside to do battle in the Octagon.

The answer has been, and seemingly always will be, a resounding “no.”

Cormier will instead drop down to light heavyweight and make a run at the pound-for-pound king, UFC light heavyweight champion Jon “Bones” Jones.

Recent comments made by Jones hinted that Cormier isn’t worthy enough to step inside the cage with the champ. He questioned his resume and alluded to more difficult opponents to worry about than a guy who may or may not be joining his division.

Cormier has remained fairly mum on the subject, except saying that he definitely plans on contending for the gold at 205 pounds, and he would love to be the one to dethrone Jones.

From inside the Toyota Center at the post-fight press conference on Saturday night, Cormier addressed his move to light heavyweight, his hopes for an instant title shot, and touched on his performance at UFC 166.

“I thought I fought a good fight,” said the 34-year-old. “I was able to use my strategy that I went into the fight with: get a good win over a tough guy.

“Well, I mean, I’m 34 years old, so I have to get moving,” he said when asked about his future title plans at light heavyweight. “Listen, I can ask. I wanted a Nintendo when I was growing up and my mom just said, ‘no.’ But I can ask Dana for a title shot. All he can say is ‘no.’ And maybe then he gets tired of me asking and says, ‘Okay, D.C., now leave me alone.’”

Title fight or no title fight, Cormier contends that he just wants to stay active.  For the American Kickboxing Academy product, the light heavyweight division is a well-oiled machine with plenty of top-level talent.  And with his move to 205 confirmed, Cormier just wants to fight whoever gets him closest to UFC gold.

“I just want fight when the division is moving. Before I was like, ‘let me fight, let me fight,’ and then the division moved on,” he stated. “No division waits for anyone but the champion.  So it moved on and I just want to be in line when the rest of those guys are fighting; when Jones is fighting, when Gustafsson is fighting, when those guys are fighting, I want to be fighting one of those guys.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Galleries

Daniel Cormier Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Daniel Cormier Still At Odds with Being Handed the UFC Belt Jon Jones Took From Him | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier understands and agrees with why he is once again the UFC light heavyweight champion. He just has a hard time reconciling it emotionally. read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier names Volkan Oezdemir as next title challenger

Daniel Cormier is moving on from Jon Jones and lining up his next fight. Apparently, he’s cutting out the UFC’s matchmaking middlemen too.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Fires Back at Volkan Oezdemir Over Two Minute Warning | MMAWeekly.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier is still awaiting word on his next title defense but all signs are pointing towards a showdown with surging contender Volkan Oezdemir. Oezdemir burst ont read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2538 with guests Daniel Cormier, Urijah Faber

Stream or download Friday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guests Daniel Cormier and Urijah Faber.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier apologizes to Anthony Johnson: 'The reality is, I was wrong'

A few days after stirring up a social media back-and-forth, UFC champion Daniel Cormier thinks he shouldn’t have called Anthony Johnson soft: “Not everybody should view competition like I do.”Filed u read news >>

UFC champ Daniel Cormier now targets 2018 for title defense against Volkan Oezdemir

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier expects to defend his title in early 2018, facing upstart Volkan Oezdemir in his first challenge since being re-crowned as the titleholder.Filed under: N read news >>

Daniel Cormier Tells TMZ He Wants to Fight Jon Jones Again

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier revealed he would be happy to fight Jon Jones for a third time. Jones was stripped of the title he won against Cormier at UFC 214 after the bout was rule read news >>

Daniel Cormier Weighs In on Alexander Gustafsson or Volkan Oezdemir for Next Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier isn't planning to return in 2017 but that doesn't mean he can't look ahead to what comes next. Cormier was crowned champion again just a few weeks ago af read news >>

Daniel Cormier Calls for Fight with Volkan Oezdemir Next | MMAWeekly.com

Daniel Cormier asked and the fans responded. The reigning UFC light heavyweight champion put out a call on social media recently asking who he should face when he returns to action in 2018 with the o read news >>

Alexis Davis, Liz Carmouche Meet at Flyweight in Rematch at UFC Fight Night in Fresno | MMAWeekly.com

A pair of past title challengers will meet in a rematch at 125 pounds when Alexis Davis faces off with Liz Carmouche on Dec. 9 at UFC Fight Night from Fresno, Calif. UFC officials announced the match read news >>