The event, which goes down on July 8, will mark the promotion’s second trip to the United States this year. An exact location for the show has not yet been announced. Two more M-1 Challenge events are expected to take place stateside later in 2011.
“M-1 Global is fully engaged in preparations for this year’s second U.S.-based ‘Challenge’ event,” M-1 Global Director of Operations Evgeni Kogan said in a statement. “The European fighters who participated on the March card enjoyed great success in their North American debuts, setting the bar extremely high for those coming from overseas in July. This group of fighters is eager to put on exciting performances for the fans.”
Gugenishvili (Pictured; file photo) is undefeated through 11 professional outings. The Ukrainian captured the M-1 Global heavyweight title last year, submitting Kenny Garner with a guillotine choke in the second round. Most recently, Gugenishvili successfully defended his belt for the first time, finishing Maxim Grishim with a first-round rear-naked choke in March.
A member of Team Bombsquad, Bennett is a four-time veteran of M-1 competition. Beginning his professional career in 2009, the heavyweight took on current Bellator Fighting Championships heavyweight king Cole Konrad in just his second pro fight. Though he fell to Konrad by unanimous decision, Bennett went on to post a 3-1 record inside the M-1 ring. Most recently, the American bested Alexander Volkov at M-1 Challenge 22 in December.
Figueroa rides a three-fight winning streak heading into his first title defense. The American Top Team Orlando representative comes fresh off his title-winning performance against Artiom Damkovsky in March, when Figueroa sealed the deal by delivering unanswered ground-and-pound in the second frame.
A King of the Cage and British Association of Mixed Martial Arts veteran, Weichel has won eight of his last nine contests, including three straight in the last year. The German is undefeated in M-1 competition, holding a perfect mark of 4-0. Weichel most recently submitted Magomedrasul Khasbulaev with a triangle choke at M-1 Challenge 24.view original article >>
At 40 years old, Vitor Belfort is preparing to make his 25th and final trip to the UFC’s famed octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Vitor Belfort's final fight inside the Octagon will be against former Strikeforce champion Nate Marquardt at UFC 212. read news >>
The Monster Energy Bellator MMA Fight Series will feature several MMA bouts at Charlotte Motor Speedway during the Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race. read news >>
Hours after the announcement, UFC President Dana White said nothing is official regarding a new women’s 125-pound weight class.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
A pair of high-profile matchups can take the “targeted” and “reportedly” tags off for UFC 213.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
The card for The Ultimate Fighter 25 Finale continues to take shape as the UFC announced today four more fights to the card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
By now, you’ve heard Al Iaquinta’s complaints about the UFC. According to one UFC official, the rage is completely misplaced.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
Former longtime middleweight champion Anderson Silva is officially off the UFC 212 card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Following the official announcement Anderson Silva will not fight at June’s UFC 212 event in Rio de Janeiro, it appears the next move for the former longtime UFC middleweight champion will come in th read news >>
DALLAS – Check out the video highlights and a full photo gallery from today’s UFC 211 early and official weigh-ins.Filed under: Featured Videos, News, Photo Gallery, UFC, Videos read news >>