#UFC 216 #Conor McGregor #Rizin 7 #Nick Diaz #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Quinton Jackson #Michael Bisping

Justin Gaethje - Ring of Fire 41After finding success in Colorado the past couple years, lightweight prospect Justin Gaethje had an opportunity recently to branch out and return to his home state of Arizona and fight for a Rage in the Cage title.

Gaethje did not disappoint in his homecoming.

“I went up a weight class to welterweight, so he was really big and a really strong, explosive fighter,” said Gaethje of his opponent Sam Young.

“I controlled and tried to get him up against the cage and use my wrestling as best I could. I got in a couple really good slams and at the end of the first round, I hurt him really bad with a right hand and thought I finished him, but it was only three minute rounds in Arizona and the bell rung. At the beginning of the second, he came out and I rocked him again with the right, and I got the rear naked choke.”

For Gaethje, branching out is a big step towards achieving his goal.

“I think the more people see me, they’ll like me, because I go out there and I try to finish fights,” he said. “The more places I can go to, the more fans I can pick up and hopefully I can get to the UFC and show people I can hang with the best.

“At the end of the day I’m a wrestler, and on these shows outside the UFC, I don’t think anyone can hang with my wrestling. So I just go out there and try to use what I know how to do and control the fight and get big slams. I’m just using that to hopefully put people on their heads and knock them out like that.”

While Gaethje is doing everything he can to move to the highest level possible, his success has created a problem where he’s become too dangerous. Many other fighters trying to make a name don’t want to fight him. Gaethje’s solution is to take any fights he can at any weight he can to keep moving forward.

“I went up a weight class because these big guys aren’t afraid to fight a little guy, so I can get fights at the heavier weight classes, but I don’t like fighting up in weight class, so I want to be at 155 and fight the best in the world like I know I can,” he said.

The coming months could be a turning point in Gaethje’s career, and he’s treating it as such.

“I have another fight in Arizona in a couple weeks, and there’s a Ring of Fire event in November, so I’m trying to fight every month – maybe even twice in one of these months – try to fight as many times possible and get my record up there because that’s how you get into bigger shows like Bellator, Strikeforce or the UFC,” he said.

“Those bigger shows are where I want to be and that’s where I think I should be right now.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all your MMA news and updates.

Galleries

Justin Gaethje Fights

• 3 months ago
  • 2078 views

Comments

3 reasons Edmond Tarverdyan pushing for Ronda Rousey to fight Cris Cyborg is troubling

Ronda Rousey’s coach believes it’s 50-50 she fights again, but his preferred opponent forces us to wonder what his true motives might be.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Patricky Freire says he should get title shot before Michael Chandler

Bellator lightweight Patricky “Pitbull” Freire believes he’s earned the right to cut the line of contenders at 155 pounds.Filed under: Bellator, News, Videos read news >>

Mueller believes she can be champ

“I feel like I’m so blessed that I found MMA and realized this is my calling,” she said. “I feel like I’m not just gonna be good at this; I truly believe that I’m going to be great and going to be a read news >>

Crowder believes fighting for the fans is most important

“The fans are the most important, that’s who we’re out there fighting for,” Crowder said. “Without them, we’re beating each other up for no reason. You want to have a good fan base, you want people f read news >>

Threats of broken legs, retirement? Justin Gaethje latest to beef with Tony Ferguson

Justin Gaethje is the latest to land on Tony Ferguson’s radar ahead of the latter’s interim UFC lightweight title fight at UFC 216.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Conor McGregor Believes He'd Beat Floyd Mayweather in a Rematch | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor is a man who learns from his mistakes. Much like avenging his loss to Nate Diaz in March 2016 by returning with a victory five months later in the rematch, McGregor has that same feeli read news >>

Kevin Lee: Tony Ferguson's toughness just means he'll 'take a longer ass-whooping' at UFC 216

Kevin Lee believes Tony Ferguson is done evolving as a fighter, “and if you stop evolving, you start dying.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Eddie Alvarez vs. Justin Gaethje Expected at UFC 218 in Detroit | MMAWeekly.com

UFC 218 in Detroit just landed a potential 'Fight of the Year' candidate. Following a season coaching opposite of each other on "The Ultimate Fighter", former UFC lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez i read news >>

UFC 216's Fabricio Werdum: I deserve title shot with impressive win over Derrick Lewis

Fabricio Werdum believes an impressive win vs. Derrick Lewis at UFC 216 should get him the next shot at heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Coach Mark Henry says Eddie Alvarez fighting Justin Gaethje at UFC 218 in Detroit

The UFC’s long-awaited return to Detroit is shaping up to be a big card, and now it appears a pair of former champs will grace the lineup.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>