Justin Gaethje - Ring of Fire 41After finding success in Colorado the past couple years, lightweight prospect Justin Gaethje had an opportunity recently to branch out and return to his home state of Arizona and fight for a Rage in the Cage title.

Gaethje did not disappoint in his homecoming.

“I went up a weight class to welterweight, so he was really big and a really strong, explosive fighter,” said Gaethje of his opponent Sam Young.

“I controlled and tried to get him up against the cage and use my wrestling as best I could. I got in a couple really good slams and at the end of the first round, I hurt him really bad with a right hand and thought I finished him, but it was only three minute rounds in Arizona and the bell rung. At the beginning of the second, he came out and I rocked him again with the right, and I got the rear naked choke.”

For Gaethje, branching out is a big step towards achieving his goal.

“I think the more people see me, they’ll like me, because I go out there and I try to finish fights,” he said. “The more places I can go to, the more fans I can pick up and hopefully I can get to the UFC and show people I can hang with the best.

“At the end of the day I’m a wrestler, and on these shows outside the UFC, I don’t think anyone can hang with my wrestling. So I just go out there and try to use what I know how to do and control the fight and get big slams. I’m just using that to hopefully put people on their heads and knock them out like that.”

While Gaethje is doing everything he can to move to the highest level possible, his success has created a problem where he’s become too dangerous. Many other fighters trying to make a name don’t want to fight him. Gaethje’s solution is to take any fights he can at any weight he can to keep moving forward.

“I went up a weight class because these big guys aren’t afraid to fight a little guy, so I can get fights at the heavier weight classes, but I don’t like fighting up in weight class, so I want to be at 155 and fight the best in the world like I know I can,” he said.

The coming months could be a turning point in Gaethje’s career, and he’s treating it as such.

“I have another fight in Arizona in a couple weeks, and there’s a Ring of Fire event in November, so I’m trying to fight every month – maybe even twice in one of these months – try to fight as many times possible and get my record up there because that’s how you get into bigger shows like Bellator, Strikeforce or the UFC,” he said.

“Those bigger shows are where I want to be and that’s where I think I should be right now.”

Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for all your MMA news and updates.

Ronda Rousey's Future with UFC Commented on by Dana White on 'UFC Unfiltered'

Following consecutive decisive losses, UFC President Dana White believes Ronda Rousey may never again step foot inside the Octagon. On the latest episode of UFC.com's UFC Unfiltered (h/t Dann Stupp o read news >>

UFC Fight Night 104's Jessica Andrade believes title shot looms with win over Angela Hill

Jessica Andrade believes she’s close to a strawweight title shot, and that a win on Saturday might put her over the top. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Yair Rodriguez believes Penn win has him creeping closer to UFC featherweight title shot

HOUSTON – After his brutal beatdown of UFC Hall of Famer B.J. Penn a few weeks ago, Yair Rodriguez can admit just taking the fight put him in a no-win situation. Filed under: Featured Videos, News, U read news >>

Demian Maia Issues Statement on Waiting for UFC Title Shot | MMAWeekly.com

Demian Maia believes he is next in line for a UFC welterweight title shot and is willing to wait for it. read news >>

Jacare Souza Believes Luke Rockhold is Avoiding Him, Remains Focused on the Belt (UFC 208 Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Jacare Souza believes Luke Rockhold is avoiding him and knows he has a tough fight with Tim Boetsch ahead, but he remains focused on a UFC title shot. read news >>

Jacare Souza: 'I'm the Champion Without the Title' | MMAWeekly.com

Third-ranked middleweight Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza wants a title shot, but believes he is already the champion, he just doesn't have the belt to prove it. read news >>

Ex-UFC champ Rafael dos Anjos considering Robbie Lawler, Nick Diaz for first welterweight fight

Rafael dos Anjos believes he’s earned the right to jump right into UFC title contention in the welterweight division.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC champ de Randamie believes hand surgery inevitable, responds to Holm, 'Cyborg'

On a media teleconference Thursday, Germaine de Randamie discussed the likelihood of hand surgery and responded to criticism from both Holly Holm and “Cyborg” Justino.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 105's Reginaldo Vieira believes he can still go far

Mixed martial artists tend to not get better as they get older. It’s just how things work. But don’t tell that to Reginaldo Vieira.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Dan Hardy believes UFC return could be near: 'Confident I have paperwork' that clears me

LONDON — If Dan Hardy has his way, he’ll be fighting inside the octagon before the end of 2018, explaining to MMAjunkie that a team of the United Kingdom’s best cardiologists have now cleared him to read news >>