tim-kennedy-13.jpgTwo days after directing pointed criticism at the pay of UFC fighters, Tim Kennedy has apologized to the fight promotion’s executives.

“The intent of these statements was to highlight that professional fighters incur significant expense associated with their preparations to fight and that fighter compensation is still not on par with other major sports,” wrote the middleweight on his official Facebook fan page.

Kennedy (15-4 MMA, 1-1 UFC), 33, is scheduled to meet Roger Gracie (6-1 MMA, 0-0 UFC) next Saturday at UFC 162, but as of late, most of the MMA media’s attention has been focused on a controversial interview he gave this week with the Grapple Talk podcast.

It was during the appearance that the decorated soldier said it was “pathetic” that fighters had to take second jobs to support their careers, and mused that he’d be better off collecting trash than accepting low pay for his services. He also detailed his earnings for the Gracie fight and said a win would earn him a mere $20,000 before taxes and after expenses.

Kennedy’s comments came on the heels of several ex-UFC fighters criticizing the fight promotion’s pay structure, including World Series of Fighting signees Jon Fitch and Jacob Volkmann and John Cholish.

“While I am fortunate to have various revenue streams associated with my business interests, most fighters do not have that luxury,” Kennedy wrote. “When you spend training camps with great guys with amazing talents and you see them barely making ends meet, while simultaneously seeing athletes in other sports with far less character and a far smaller work ethic making exponentially more, you can get frustrated.”

Kennedy, a onetime Strikeforce title challenger, also claimed his comments were taken out of context when he gave the interview.

“Unfortunately, I made statements that alluded to how the UFC in particular pays its athletes,” he wrote. “This was particularly offensive as Zuffa has taken better care of me than any other organization, even giving me a bonus for being amusing on Twitter. My choice of words was poor, not properly informed, and did not match my intent. Additionally, my comments were taken out of context. “

In an email to MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com), the podcast’s editor, Callum Leslie, wrote: “‘I don’t agree with Tim that his comments were taken out of context, and I think the transcript supports me in that. However, I don’t blame Tim for backtracking, I’m sure that he was under a lot of pressure.

“This was obviously something that had been on his mind for a while, since he sent me the breakdown of the purse as soon as we had finished the interview. ‘Taken out of context’ is something of a catch-all term for when people say things in interviews they later regret, and sadly it looks like Tim has been made to regret these comments. I’ve not spoken to Tim since the email exchange straight after the interview. The full interview will be released today.”

UFC heavyweight Travis Browne recently voiced his disagreement with Kennedy’s statements. While praising the fighter as a hard-worker and good teacher during their time at Jackson-Winkeljohn’s MMA, Browne said Kennedy had little right to complain after signing on the dotted line.

“If you want to fight, this is what’s promised to you,” he said. “If you agree to it, then I don’t feel like you have the right to go back and say, ‘They’re not paying me that much.’ You agreed to it. This is your job. I think that some guys may forget about that a little bit.”

Despite his criticisms, Kennedy made it clear he doesn’t want to discredit the contributions of the UFC, which took him in after the shuttering of the Zuffa-owned Strikeforce earlier this year.

“I can tell you that I have been fighting longer than most people and I remember all too well the days when there was no regulation or standard for an MMA promotion,” he wrote. “I fought many times in Mexico where the rules were negligible, there were no physicals, and being paid was a luxury we didn’t expect. Our sport was shunned and was considered ‘human cockfighting.’ Today, we are on Fox. We have doctors and insurance. We make more money than the average American. And we get these things by playing a sport we love. The only reason this is possible is because of Zuffa. They have legitimized the sport and taken better care of the athletes than any other organization, and the trend is only improving, with athletes making three times what they made on average five years ago.

“My comments were hurtful and inappropriate. I accept full responsibility for the statements and apologize to the UFC, Dana White, Lorenzo Fertitta, & Joe Silva as well as anyone I might have offended with my comments. Fighting for the UFC is an honor and a privilege. I look forward to putting this situation behind me and focusing on my upcoming fight with Roger Gracie.”

For the latest on UFC 162, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

view original article >>
Report here if this news is invalid.

Related News

UFC on FOX 23's Jorge Masvidal aims to make Donald 'Cowboy' Cerrone pay for stealing opponents

  • 29 days ago
  • 38 views

UFC welterweight Jorge Masvidal can point to the UFC octagon and Donald “Cowboy” Cerrone as two major sources of financial woe.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Tim Kennedy Regrets Putting Bjorn Rebney Front and Center for Fighter Association | MMAWeekly.com

  • 28 days ago
  • 27 views

Following the unveiling of the Mixed Martial Arts Athletes Association, Tim Kennedy acknowledges it was a mistake to have Bjorn Rebney front and center. read news >>

Tito Ortiz Comments on Claims of Chael Sonnen Fight Being Fixed in TMZ Exclusive

  • 27 days ago
  • 9 views

Tito Ortiz has refuted speculation that his fight with Chael Sonnen at Bellator 170 was fixed, telling those who doubt him to stop by his gym so he can choke them out himself. The 42-year-old fought read news >>

Conor McGregor Comments on Floyd Mayweather, UFC, More in Manchester Interview

  • 24 days ago
  • 10 views

Conor McGregor is never shy about saying what's on his mind, and that continued in an interview with Ariel Helwani of MMA Fighting. The 28-year-old UFC champion discussed a variety of topics Saturday read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Comments on Potential Conor McGregor PPV Fight

  • 24 days ago
  • 18 views

The speculation surrounding a potential superfight that would feature retired boxing legend Floyd Mayweather Jr. and UFC star Conor McGregor continues to build in 2017. In a Showtime interview Saturd read news >>

UFC on FOX 23 Athlete Outfitting pay: Top earners all suffer losses

  • 24 days ago
  • 28 views

DENVER – Fighters from Saturday’s UFC on FOX 23 event took home UFC Athlete Outfitting pay, a program that launched after the UFC’s deal with Reebok, totaling $155,000.Filed under: News, Videos read news >>

Conor McGregor Comments on Nate Diaz's Conversation with Floyd Mayweather

  • 22 days ago
  • 26 views

UFC lightweight champion Conor McGregor has lashed out at rival Nate Diaz, criticising his former opponent for lending his support to retired boxer Floyd Mayweather. McGregor and Diaz faced off twice read news >>

Large Fight Erupts Outside Conor McGregor Q&A Pay-Per-View | MMAWeekly.com

  • 22 days ago
  • 951 views

While Conor McGregor was in Manchester, England, talking about potential fights, the real action erupted outside after he was done answering questions. read news >>

Ronda Rousey Receives Apology from Amanda Nunes for Post-UFC 207 Comments

  • 21 days ago
  • 15 views

Current UFC bantamweight champion Amanda Nunes held nothing back after she swiftly defeated Ronda Rousey at UFC 207 on Dec. 30. On Tuesday, more than one month after her victory, she apologized to Ro read news >>

Amanda Nunes offers apology to Ronda Rousey for post-fight UFC 207 comments

  • 21 days ago
  • 35 views

Amanda Nunes didn’t mince many words after she tore through Ronda Rousey in December to defend the UFC women’s bantamweight title. But now she’s walking some of them back a little.Filed under: News, read news >>