#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor

Tim Boetsch didn’t hesitate to accept the UFC’s offer to match him against Yushin Okami at UFC 144.

After accepting, though, Boetsch started to realize the magnitude of the challenge: He has to travel across the planet to Japan to fight the No. 3-ranked middleweight in the world on his own turf.

“I made the decision fairly quickly, and then I started to think about it,” Boetsch told the Sherdog Radio Network’s “Savage Dog Show.” “I was like, ‘This is kind of stacked against me here.’ But at the end of the day, I was like, ‘You know what? You don’t get an opportunity like this every day.’ Actually it’s a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I was very happy to take the fight. It’s a great matchup for me.”

Boetsch is 2-0 in the UFC since dropping to 185 pounds. One benefit of the move is the strength advantage he enjoys against other middleweights, but he doesn’t expect to have quite the same
edge against Okami.

“Word on the street is that Yushin’s very strong,” Boetsch said. “Obviously he’s one of the bigger guys at middleweight. I don’t expect to be able to do all the same techniques that I did in my previous fights at middleweight, but I certainly know that strength will be a factor. I know that I’m going to be able to execute some sort of throw or some technique along those lines. That’s definitely part of the game plan, to get a big takedown and score those points and get that dominant position on him.”

In particular, Boetsch has been preparing for the clinch. He thinks Okami will try to use the position to slow down the fight and also score points.

“That’s a place I’m very comfortable with,” Boetsch said. “We’ve been doing a lot of work this camp from the clinch, aggressively attacking from there and working takedowns and just punishing the guy in the clinch. I don’t want my opponents to think the clinch is a place where they can take a break or rest. If he wants to clinch it up, that’s fine. I’m going to do a lot of damage there.”

Okami has a knack for shutting down his opponent’s offense. If that makes for a slow fight, the Japanese fighter doesn’t seem to mind. Boetsch, however, said he hates lackluster bouts.

“I really do not want to play into that game at all,” he said. “I want to keep the pace fast and I want to accumulate a lot of damage on him as early in the fight as I can. I definitely want … to try to break that on him and then really just discourage him in this fight, which is going to be hard to do. It’s going to be in Japan. He’s going to be bringing his ‘A’ game. I expect to see the best Okami we’ve seen in a long time in my fight. It’s going to be a battle, but I’m looking forward to it.”

Listen to the full interview (beginning at 57:40).

Galleries

Yushin Okami Fights

• 2 months ago

Comments

Frankie Saenz vs. Merab Dvalishvili added to UFC Fight Night 123 in Fresno

The lineup for the UFC’s debut in Fresno, Calif., continues to grow with the addition of a bantamweight bout.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 220 set for Jan. 20 in Boston

The UFC’s first pay-per-view of 2018 will take place in Boston.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Western Australia gets its first UFC event with February pay-per-view card

The UFC’s long-awaited debut in Western Australia is finally official, with promotion execs announcing that UFC 221 will take place in Perth on Sunday, February 11.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

New bouts official for UFC Fight Night 122 in Shanghai

The UFC’s debut event in mainland China has a few new official fight-card additions.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Corey Anderson: Ovince Saint Preux replacement was 'destiny' for UFC 217

Corey Anderson had a feeling the UFC would offer him Ovince Saint Preux as a replacement opponent and feels good about it.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Ricardo Ramos: UFC 217 spinning elbow knockout of Aiemann Zahabi my hardest hit ever

Ricardo Ramos didn’t specifically bring out spinning (expletive) for Aiemann Zahabi, but that’s what ended up happening. Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Trio of fights added to UFC Fight Night 124 in St. Louis

The fight card for the UFC’s debut event in St. Louis has three new additions.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jussier Formiga vs. Ben Nguyen, Tyson Pedro vs. Saparbek Safarov added to UFC 221 in Perth

The UFC’s debut event in Perth is beginning to take shape with the addition of its first two fights. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 120 results: Matt Brown survives near finish, devastates Diego Sanchez

It didn’t go as long as some might have hoped, but it delivered everything one might expect, as Matt Brown was almost finished but came back to score a first-round knockout of Diego Sanchez.Filed und read news >>

Randy Brown derailed hype train of 'privileged little kid' Mickey Gall at UFC 217

Randy Brown didn’t expect to be booed in his hometown of New York, especially against a guy from New Jersey.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>