#UFC Fight Night 83 #Conor McGregor #Jon Jones #Luke Rockhold #Nate Diaz #David Branch #Michael Bisping #UFC 215 #Saturday Night Fights

TUF 17 Team Jones vs Team Sonnen Ultimate Fighter LogoIn last week’s episode of The Ultimate Fighter: Team Jones vs. Team Sonnen, Team Jones got their first win of the season and gained matchmaking control.  Coach Jon Jones picked the most seasoned fighter in the house, Bubba McDaniel, to take on the youngest contestant in The Ultimate Fighter history, 21-year old Kelvin Gastelum.

“My strategy leading into this fight is to utilize Bubba’s experience and just overall game.  We believe we’re going to win this fight everywhere against Kelvin,” said Jones.  “We called out Kelvin because we thought he was the weakest link and the smartest decision for our team.”

“Me being the youngest guy, I’m probably the one with the least experience in the house.  People probably underestimate me, and that’s fine with me.  I know how tough I am, and I know how good I am, and I know what I can do.  I’m not really worried about what other people are thinking,” said Gastelum.

The match up didn’t sit well with Team Sonnen’s Luke Barnatt.

“I think it’s a cheap shot from Bubba to be the most experienced man in the competition.  The guy has had nearly thirty fights.  He’s one of the older guys.  He’s one of the bigger guys.  He’s the man of the competition in a way, and he picks the youngest guy, one of the least experienced guys.  It’s just a bit cheap in my opinion,” said Barnatt.

Gustelum is a big fan of UFC women’s bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey.  Coach Chael Sonnen had Rousey call Gustelum to wish him luck in his fight with McDaniel.  If the call from Rousey wasn’t enough to inspire Gustelum, Team Sonnen brought in award winning actor and former professional boxer Mickey Rourke to speak to the team.

Bubba McDaniel vs. Kelvin Gastelum:

Gastelum came out setting the pace.  He moved forward and secured an early takedown.  McDaniel pushed him off and quickly got back to his feet, but most of the round was a back-and-forth grappling battle filled with transitions and reversals.  It was a tough round to score and heading into the second round, neither fighter had a clear advantage.

Gastelum opened the second stanza with a hard outside leg kick.  McDaniel tried for a trip takedown, but ended up on the bottom.  Gastelum gave up top position working for a guillotine choke.  He gave up his back but was able to shake McDaniel off.  Gastelum took McDaniel’s back and locked in a rear naked choke that forced McDaniel to tap out.

The win gave Team Sonnen matchmaking control and a 3-1 lead over Team Jones.

“I can’t stand it knowing I lost again.  I can’t stand it.  I’m a winner for a reason, you know.  I win fights.  I don’t just go out there and get trashed.  I don’t have anybody even compete as highly as he did with me.  I feel like a failure right now,” said a dejected McDaniel following the loss.

McDaniel’s hopes of winning the show and the UFC contract rests on getting a wildcard slot back into the tournament.

Coach Sonnen announced the next bout. He picked Tor Troeng to face Team Jones’ Josh Summan.

Galleries

Jon Jones Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jones Cheated | MMAWeekly.com

UFC champion Jon Jones is in the midst facing what could be yet another setback in his life, but his manager refuses to believe he cheated. read news >>

Is Dana White's Relationship with Jon Jones Over? | MMAWeekly.com

UFC president Dana White briefly talked about his relationship with Jon Jones with the press at the UFC 215 216 media day on Thursday. TRENDING > Jon Jones' Manager Confounded, Refuses to Believe Jon read news >>

Dana White isn't optimistic about UFC champ Jon Jones' B sample, laments what could've been

In two words, UFC President Dana White sums up the Jon Jones situation after a failed drug test: “It’s bad.”Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Demetrious Johnson Gives Jon Jones the 'Benefit of the Doubt' | MMAWeekly.com

Demetrious Johnson goes into explicit detail on the USADA testing procedure, but then leans toward giving Jon Jones the benefit of the doubt. read news >>

Dana White Sick to His Stomach with Excitement: Mayweather vs. McGregor Embedded | MMAWeekly.com

On Episode 5 of Mayweather vs. McGregor Embedded, Floyd “Money” Mayweather does more media as the “Fight of the Century” draws nearer. read news >>

Heavyweight champ Stipe Miocic didn't know UFC planned Jon Jones fight, wants better contract

Stipe Miocic simply wants to get paid what he feels is right as the UFC heavyweight champion.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Beats Conor McGregor by 10th-Round TKO in Megafight

Floyd Mayweather Jr. picked up the 50th win of his illustrious career, defeating Conor McGregor by 10th-round TKO on Saturday night in Las Vegas' T-Mobile Arena. With the victory, Mayweather surpasse read news >>

Fighters React to Floyd Mayweather's Win and Conor McGregor's Performance | MMAWeekly.com

Floyd Mayweather Jr. picked up his 50th and final win inside the ring on Saturday with his 10th round finish of UFC champion Conor McGregor. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather Beats Conor McGregor by 10th-Round TKO in Megafight

Jon Jones issues cryptic tweet one week after second drug fail

UFC light heavyweight champion Jon Jones is facing a potential four-year suspension and the loss of his undisputed title. But to read his Twitter feed on Sunday, you’d think he had not a care in the read news >>