#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Claudia Gadelha #Jessica Andrade #Bellator MMA #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Ovince St. Preux #Conor McGregor #Paul Daley

Doug Marshall WEC 31Heading into his fight against Kyacey Uscola in September of 2010, former WEC light-heavyweight champion Doug “The Rhino” Marshall was on the cusp of possibly bringing his career back to old heights, when things took a detour for the worse.

As Marshall put it, “I made a 6-0 run at 185 pounds and I was thinking that if I beat Uscola it would open a door to get me back in the mainstream, on the radar, but I took that loss against him and it was back to the drawing board.”

A subsequent loss and win later, Marshall is looking to start off his 2012 with a bang when he makes a trip to New Delhi, India, as part of the fast-growing Super Fight League promotion on May 6.

“It’s a huge opportunity to go over to India to fight for the SFL and I’m stoked,” said Marshall. “I don’t mind fighting on a smaller showcase like at Tachi Palace Fights, but I don’t think it’s where The Rhino needs to be. The Rhino needs to be back up in the spotlight where he can shine, and I think this a step in the right direction.

“I want to make some noise in India and get the fans fired up and get them wanting more of the crazy, bald-headed, tattooed guy.”

At SFL 3, Marshall is scheduled to take on former Dream middleweight Zelg Galesic. While it may look like a close fight to some on paper, Marshall told MMAWeekly.com he doesn’t think so.

“I think he’s tough, but he ain’t tough enough,” said Marshall. “I think he’s had some really good match-ups in his favor, but I don’t think they’ve put him against someone who really wants to strike and stand and bang.

“I think it’s definitely going to be a fight that I can shine. Those fans in India aren’t going to be sitting down. It’s going to be like their seats are on fire because they’re going to be standing up the whole time thinking, ‘Damn, this guy here is going down!’”

As Marshall puts it, this isn’t a fight where he is going to waste time trying to analyze what his opponent is doing as much as he’s going in there to fight fast and hard from the start.

“I don’t give a (expletive) what he’s going to do,” said Marshall. “He needs to worry about what I’m going to do. I don’t fight not to lose; I fight to win. I let it all hang out.

“You’re never going to read a headline that says, ‘The Rhino’s fight was boring.’ It’s always going to be fireworks and always over in a hurry.”

Having been a big part of the WEC prior to its acquisition by Zuffa, Marshall feels he can do so again for the SFL and start a new chapter in his career, rather than bask in the past.

“Just because of what I’ve done in the past, doesn’t mean I get handed anything in the future,” he said. “You’re only as good as your last fight, that’s what people remember. So it’s time to show ‘em and get my name jingling in their brain again and get them thinking, ‘This guy is a beast!’

“I had a great run in the WEC and they gave me good times and I gave them good times, but it’s all in the past now. It’s time to find a new promotion that I can help and they can help me and we can build it all the way to the top.”

Comments

Grady Hurley Plans to Prove That He's the Real Deal in LFA 21 Co-Main Event | MMAWeekly.com

Grady Hurley (16-1) will look to take his overall winning streak to 14 wins in a row when he makes his LFA debut against Kevin Holland (9-3) on Friday. read news >>

Conor McGregor Says Nate Diaz Has to Come to Lightweight for the Trilogy | MMAWeekly.com

Conor McGregor hasn't said for certain what he plans to do after fighting Floyd Mayweather this past weekend in Las Vegas, but a trilogy bout against Nate Diaz appears to be at the top of everyone's read news >>

Justin Gaethje Says Conor McGregor Is 'Terrified' of His Style, Plans to Go 30-0

There was a point in the not-so-distant past that Justin Gaethje was so unknown he was without a Wikipedia entry. Now the UFC newcomer is making headlines in and out of the cage. The Ultimate Fighter read news >>

Reebok didn't flub Demetrious Johnson's T-shirt; UFC champ plans on changing his nickname

It looked like the UFC’s official apparel partner flubbed again with Demetrious Johnson’s nickname. Not so, says “Mighty Mouse” (for now).Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured, Featured Videos, News, UF read news >>

UFC vet Brad Pickett slaps Cage Warriors champ Nathaniel Wood because his dad doesn't

Although UFC and WEC vet Brad Pickett has officially retired from fighting, he isn’t past hitting other men in the face. But don’t worry: It’s for a noble cause.Filed under: Blue Corner, Cage Warrior read news >>

Maycee Barber 'Confident in Every Aspect of Her Game' Headed into LFA 22 | MMAWeekly.com

Maycee Barber (1-0) will look to further live up to her potential when she returns to LFA on Friday to take on Malory Martin (1-1). read news >>

Demetrious Johnson plans to keep adding to UFC title defense record – because why would he stop at 11?

Champ Demetrious Johnson believes he still has plenty of competition in the UFC flyweight position.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

DJ plans to finish Borg on Saturday

Thursday at open workouts Demetrious Johnson spoke about his five-round championship conditioning. Johnson puts his belt on the line again when he takes on Ray Borg at UFC 215 on Saturday for the fly read news >>

UFC 215's Ketlen Vieira confident but level-headed ahead of 'golden opportunity' vs. Sara McMann

Ahead of her the toughest opponent of her undefeated career, Ketlen Vieira is all respect for onetime title challenger Sara McMann.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Victorious at UFC 215, Bhullar Said He's Coming and Bringing India With Him

First-ever Indo-Canadian fighter in the UFC, Arjan Singh Bhullar, picked up a huge win in his debut, taking a unanimous decision win against Luis Henrique on the UFC FIGHT PASS prelims of UFC 215. read news >>