#UFC 217 #UFC Fight Night 55 #GSP #Michael Bisping #Conor McGregor

Miami, FL (USA): Shine Fight Promotions (Shine Fights) is excited to announce the signing of UFC and StrikeForce veteran and former Bodog Fight world champion Nick “The Goat” Thompson.

Thompson broke into the national MMA scene in October 2005 with a rear-naked choke victory over UFC veteran Josh Neer at Extreme Challenge 64. A rough matchup for any fighter, Thompson then defeated another tough guy in Keith Wisnewski at UFC 56 less than a month later.

With over 50 pro fights in just six years, Thompson is one of the more experienced fighters in the world. Prior to 2009, “The Goat” was riding a 22-2 streak as a welterweight, with wins over current UFC contender Paul “Semtex” Daley and current Bellator lightweight champion Eddie Alvarez.

Despite a gaudy record and a minuteman attitude that allows him to take any fight on any notice, Thompson was unable to find competition at 170 pounds and was forced to move to the middleweight division to take a tough fight with fast-rising prospect Tim Kennedy in StrikeForce.

His willingness to fight and an offer from a growing promotion in Shine prompted Thompson to sign on the dotted line: “Over three years I’d gone 22-2 at welterweight, and I couldn’t get a fight. It was really frustrating…if you look at my record, I had 50 fights in five years, and all of a sudden I’m going down to two fights in a year. I’m going out of my mind.”

Despite riding a two-fight losing streak, the well-rounded Thompson is still a force to be reckoned with: “I can submit you from the top, from the bottom…I’ve knocked out world-class strikers, and I think that’s one thing that sets me aside is just my well-roundedness.”

A quick rundown of Thompson’s resume and the names that it contains proves why he is one of the more respected fighters in the world. On top of the aforementioned victories over Daley, Alvarez, Neer, and Wisnewski, “The Goat” has defeated the likes of former Cage Rage contender Mark Weir, and UFC veterans Ansar Chalangov and Chris Wilson. The impressive veteran has also faced the likes of Bellator welterweight Dan Hornbuckle, StrikeForce Middleweight Champion Jake Shields, former UFC welterweight contender Karo Parisyan, “The Ultimate Fighter” season three runner-up Ed Herman, and UFC middleweight contender Yushin Okami.

Now setting his sights on the Shine roster, Thompson plans to make it back into the top ten in his weight class: “I want to be the number one ranked guy in Shine Fights, plain and simple.”

“Nick is a world-class fighter, and we’re extremely excited to feature him in our shows,” said Shine Fights matchmaker Ron Foster.

Thompson will fight in the Shine Welterweight division and a debut is expected in 2010.

Comments

Bellator signs Goiti Yamauchi to new long-term contract

Goiti Yamauchi is sticking with Bellator for the foreseeable future after signing a new long-term deal with the promotion.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>

Twitter Mailbag: Where's the hype for UFC 217?

UFC 217 is right around the corner. Are three title fights and GSP’s return getting the hype they deserve? Find out in Twitter Mailbag.Filed under: News read news >>

Dana White Engages in His Most Hilarious Podcast Interview Ever (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Dana White joined UFC veteran Mike Swick for one of his most hilarious interviews ever. read news >>

The story of Gerald Harris' final slam

The story of what led up to UFC veteran Gerald Harris’ final slam, and why remorse only goes so far in the fight game.Filed under: News, Radio Highlight read news >>

UFC Fight Night 119 results: Francisco Trinaldo outpaces fellow veteran Jim Miller

Francisco Trinaldo had more left in the tank than Jim Miller as their fight wound down in Sao Paulo.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217: Three Title Fights, Three Champions, and a Legend (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Matchmaker Sean Shelby breaks down the three title fights headlining one of the most anticipated nights of the year at UFC 217: Bisping vs St-Pierre. read news >>

Hendricks feels 'reborn' after training with Jackson-Wink for UFC 217

“All I can say is that I’m excited, I can’t wait to see improvements I have made and how much better have I gotten in just four weeks. That’s what I’m excited about. I’m getting reborn in a sense," H read news >>

Ex-UFC fighter Erik Perez signs with Combate Americas

Erik “Goyito” Perez is expected to make his debut with the first Hispanic-based promotion in January.Filed under: News read news >>

Why is Georges St-Pierre a big deal? 5 fights that defined a UFC legend

If the buzz for Georges St-Pierre’s return seems muted, maybe it’s because he’s been gone too long for newer fans to appreciate who he is and what he did as UFC champ. Filed under: Featured, News, UF read news >>

UFC 217 staff picks: With 3 title fights, who's picking upsets at Madison Square Garden?

Check out our staff picks for the UFC 217 main card, which features a trio of title fights at Madison Square Garden in New York.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>