#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #Tony Ferguson #GSP #Nate Diaz #Nick Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Holly Holm #Quinton Jackson #Pancrase #Anderson Silva

Sam AlveyLast year started out strong for middleweight prospect “Smiling” Sam Alvey. Getting finishes in three wins over four fights had him riding high as he entered into The Ultimate Fighter: Team Carwin vs. Team Nelson.

His experience on the show however, didn’t go as well, as a first-fight exit ended his UFC hopes almost as quickly as they started.

“Outside of The Ultimate Fighter, I thought my year in MMA went very well (in 2012),” said Alvey. “I had a couple big knockouts, quick knockouts, and aside from a little setback where I went down to New Zealand and got robbed by the judges down there, it was a very good year with a lot of great fights.”

Even though his time on TUF didn’t go as he wanted, he told MMAWeekly.com that he plans to use that experience to better himself.

The Ultimate Fighter was an excellent experience and I loved doing it, and if I had the chance, I’d do it again,” he said. “But now that it’s over, I didn’t win the show, I’m going to bounce back stronger than ever.”

For Alvey’s first fight of the year, he couldn’t have possible picked a tougher opponent, as he’ll face MFC middleweight champion Elvis Mutapcic on Friday night live on AXS TV from Edmonton, Canada.

“In my whole career I’ve never said ‘no’ to a fight,” stated Alvey. “Whether they’re one of the best in the world or an up and comer, I’ve said ‘yes’ to everyone. When the MFC offered me this fight against arguably one of the best in the world, I jumped at it.”

Alvey anticipates a stand-up war with Mutapcic, but also feels he’ll be ready should things go to the ground with the training he’s done of late.

“I think we match up very well together,” said Alvey. “We both love striking, and that’s what the fans want to see, they want to see big knockouts. I think the big difference is that he loves kicking, where I’m a boxer. I’m hoping I can counter his kicks and he can’t counter my boxing.

“Working with Dan Henderson and Team Quest and having an Olympic-size boxing ring, I’m very comfortable wrestling in a ring. So, I think my wrestling will be more than enough to take him down and stay on top.”

Looking ahead to 2013, Alvey’s mission is simple: become a champion and put himself firmly on the map as one of the sport’s premier 185-pound fighters.

“Honestly, I want to win this title, and after that I want to defend the title,” said Alvey.

“I want to show the world that losing on The Ultimate Fighter was a fluke. I want to make sure that everyone knows that I’m the real deal and I belong in the Top 10, Top 20 fighters in the world.”

Comments

Reminder: MMAjunkie Radio on vacation today, but catch up on past episodes now

MMAjunkie Radio is off a few more days this week following an MMA-themed trip to visit U.S. troops but will return Thursday. Now is the perfect time to download and catch up on past episodes.Filed un read news >>

Get To Know TUF Cast: Lauren Murphy

Lauren Murphy, a former Invicta FC bantamweight champion with four UFC fights to her name, didn’t feel like an MMA veteran earlier this year. Then she joined the cast of The Ultimate Fighter and ever read news >>

UFC champ Michael Bisping's ideal scenario could delay retirement past GSP fight

Michael Bisping (sort of) walks back his comments on his last fight potentially being at UFC 217 against Georges St-Pierre.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Reminder: MMAjunkie Radio on vacation today, but catch up on past episodes now

MMAjunkie Radio is off today following an MMA-themed trip to visit U.S. troops but returns Thursday. Now is the perfect time to download and catch up on past episodes.Filed under: News read news >>

Get To Know TUF Cast: Nicco Montano

It’s been a wild ride for the New Mexico resident, who was iffy about continuing in the sport when tryouts for the reality show were announced. The Ultimate Fighter airs Wednesday on FS1 starting at read news >>

UFC Middleweight Luke Rockhold Is the Heel Nobody Asked for

Luke Rockhold won a fight this past weekend. It was the first time he'd done that since late 2015, when he won the UFC middleweight title, and his first appearance since mid-2016, when he lost that s read news >>

Major Upset Eliminates A Favorite From TUF 26 | MMAWeekly.com

One of the favorites have been eliminated from The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion. No. 3 seed Lauren Murphy was defeated by No. 14 seed Nicco Montano on the fourth episode of the reality seri read news >>

Nicco Montano Upsets Lauren Murphy (TUF 26 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch highlights of The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion's fourth fight. No. 14 seed Nicco Montano pulled off the upset and eliminated the No. 3 seed. read news >>

LFA champ Andrea Lee returns tonight at LFA 23, but why isn't she on 'TUF 26'?

Officials say 14 fighters – 14! – turned down a fight tonight with LFA champ Andrea Lee. So why didn’t she just take a slot on “The Ultimate Fighter 26”?Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Featured Videos, N read news >>

UFC Fight Night 117 reactions: Winning and losing fighters on social media

See the social media reactions from fighters at this past Friday’s UFC Fight Night 117 card in Japan. Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>