#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Bellator 183 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Paul Daley #Lorenz Larkin #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Roy Nelson #Yushin Okami

During a Las Vegas media tour for his newly announced headliner with fellow bantamweight Scott Jorgensen at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, Urijah Faber stopped by the MMAjunkie.com Radio (www.mmajunkie.com/radio) discuss a variety of topics, including his alternative approach to medicine.

Faber (27-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC), a former WEC champion and recent UFC title challenger, has often spoken openly about his unique childhood. Growing up in something akin to a Christian commune, he and his family favored raw foods and a different approach to medicine.

The 33-year-old fighter, who meets friend and occasional training partner Jorgensen (14-6 MMA, 3-2 UFC) on April in an FX-televised main event at Las Vegas’ Mandalay Bay Events Center, said he hasn’t changed much since then.

“I have never taken an aspirin or a Tylenol or anything like that,” he said. “When I had my hand surgery (in 2009), they put me out, and I think I had something there. But it’s very, very far and few between. I’ve never had immunization shots, and I rarely use conventional medicine.”

With nearly a decade in the sport and 33 professional bouts, Faber has mixed five-round fights into the usual three-rounders. He’s faced vicious strikers such as Jose Aldo, grappled with ground specialists such as Raphael Assuncao and Brian Bowles, and traded punches with strikers such as Dominick Cruz and Eddie Wineland. Mix in frequent and grueling training sessions with his Team Alpha Male teammates, and Faber said he’s become intimately familiar with his body’s recovery process.

“I’m like a firm believer that if you have an ailment, there’s a reason why,” he said. “You don’t treat the symptoms; you treat the ailment.

“If I have a headache, I don’t want to cover that up and all the sudden not have a headache but for some reason my body wants me to have one to let me know to get some sleep or don’t hit your head again or you’re dehydrated. I feel like everything is a cue that you need to take of in a different fashion.”

With a nickname like “The California Kid,” Faber knows many fans are curious about his stance on marijuana, especially in pro sports. While fighters have failed drug tests and gotten their UFC walking papers for using a drug that seemingly adds little to no benefit to a training camp, Faber isn’t a supporter.

It’s natural and safer than most drugs, but Faber said he didn’t use it. Still, he said he’s got no problem if his opponents want to.

“I don’t really mind it,” he said. “I don’t think it’s a performance-enhancing thing, and for that reason, if my opponent wants to smoke a bunch of weed, that’s great for me. I don’t think it helps at all. Go ahead, guys.

“I don’t really do it myself. … I’m not like a pothead or anything. That’s probably the one part of ‘The California Kid’ nickname that can get misinterpreted. I’m not really a big advocate for it.”

For more on The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, stay tuned to the UFC Rumors section of the site.

MMAjunkie.com Radio broadcasts Monday-Friday at noon ET (9 a.m. PT) live from Mandalay Bay Resort & Casino’s Race & Sports Book. The show is hosted by “Gorgeous” George Garcia, MMAjunkie.com lead staff reporter John Morgan and producer Brian “Goze” Garcia. For more information or to download past episodes, go to www.mmajunkie.com/radio.

Galleries

Urijah Faber Fights

• a year ago

Comments

After 2-year struggle to get fights, Antonio Paulo Branjao thankful for LFA 21 headliner

“TUF: Brazil 3” alum and LFA 21 headliner Antonio Paulo Branjao hasn’t fought in more than two years, but he hasn’t been idle in training.Filed under: AXS TV Fights, News read news >>

Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis Announced as UFC Virginia Headliner | MMAWeekly.com

Though it has been expected for quite some time, Dustin Poirier vs. Anthony Pettis on Wednesday was officially named the UFC Fight Night 120 main event. read news >>

UFC Veteran Mark Hunt Discusses Slurred Speech, Memory Loss

Mark Hunt is almost 20 years deep into his combat sports career and, unfortunately, it's starting to catch up with him. The Super Samoan discussed his physical and mental situation in a piece for Pla read news >>

Refusing to pile on Jon Jones, Daniel Cormier urges fans to lay off criticism for failed drug test

Newly minted UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier thanked fans for their support and urged them not to beat up on Jon Jones for his failed drug test.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Daniel Cormier Pleads with Fans to Lay Off of Jon Jones | MMAWeekly.com

Newly reinstated UFC light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier couldn't be more grateful to his supporters, but he'd appreciate it if fans would lay off of Jon Jones. Cormier has been riding a roller read news >>

Before next week's UFC-Japan headliner, watch the 1st Ovince Saint Preux vs. 'Shogun' fight

Before their rematch next week at UFC-Japan, check out the first fight between Ovince Saint Preux and Mauricio Rua.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Urijah Faber defends 'gentleman' and fellow DWCS commentator Snoop Dogg

After working with Snoop Dogg on Dana White’s Contender Series, retired UFC vet Urijah Faber has nothing but nice things to say about the rapper: “The way he treated me and other people was pretty gr read news >>

Gilbert Burns shot a selfie video as his brutal UFC-Pittsburgh knockout win was being announced

Don’t be that guy. Actually, be that guy, Gilbert Burns. That knockout was something else.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

'Shogun' Rua out, Yushin Okami in to face Ovince Saint Preux in UFC-Japan headliner

Yushin Okami has not fought in the UFC since Sept. 2013. ‘Shogun’ Rua is out because of an undisclosed injury.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Mike Perry Earns Bonus for Quick KO (UFC Pittsburgh Fighter Bonuses) | MMAWeekly.com

The Ultimate Fighting Championship announced the winners of the fighter bonuses following Saturday's UFC Fight Night 116 event in Pittsburgh. Mike Perry, Gregor Gillespie, Jason Gonzalez, and Uriah H read news >>