#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Tony Ferguson #Fight Night Rotterdam #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Nick Diaz #Donald Cerrone #Robbie Lawler

travis-browne-16.jpgLAS VEGAS – Travis Browne is back in the win column after a hamstring injury contributed to his first career loss, but the heavyweight quickly found himself answering questions more about the method of his recent victory than about what it does for his contender status.

In a main-card bout at The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale on Saturday, Browne (14-1-1 MMA, 5-1-1 UFC) fought off a takedown and then knocked out veteran Gabriel Gonzaga (14-7 MMA, 9-6 UFC), who clung to his hips, with a series of elbow strikes.

At least the first two blows landed cleanly to the side of the head, but anywhere from one to three appeared to clip the dazed fighter illegally to the back of the head.

After the fight, which aired on FX from Mandalay Bay Events Center in Las Vegas, Browne said there was no ill intent.

“I remember hitting him with one, and the referee was right there,” Browne told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com). “I could kind of see him standing off to the side, and he didn’t say anything. I hit him with two more, and by that time he was done.

“I just kind of stopped. I didn’t feel him fighting anymore. I try to be respectful in the cage, and if I know somebody can’t defend themselves, I’m not going to take advantage of that.”

The victory, which came just 71 seconds into the fight, followed Browne’s early-fight attempt at a wheelhouse kick. Gonzaga immediately pounced to try to get the takedown, but Browne said there was a reason behind the kick. After tearing his hamstring in an October loss to Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva, Browne sat out of competition for half a year while recovering. So he wanted to show the heavyweight division he’s back at full health.

“I kind of wanted to go out there and show everybody my hamstring was just fine,” he said. “He was quick on that shot, and he got in as I was throwing my kick. It was part of my game plan.

“I saw when (Ben) Rothwell went southpaw with him, he was really confused, and a lot of stuff opened up on Gabriel Gonzaga when a righty went southpaw. I think that’s one of the reasons why he shot so early and just committed everything to it is because you confuse people when you start switching stances and you have different attacks from different angles.”

Prior to the Silva loss, which followed Browne’s 13-0-1 start to his career, “Hapa” was rising quickly in the heavyweight division. He had earned stoppage wins over the likes of Stefan Struve and Chad Griggs, and with the victory over Gonzaga, he now owns 10 knockouts in 14 career wins.

So what’s next?

“I think I’m starting to get some of the recognition that I may not have gotten before, and I think it’s due,” he said. “I’ve put in some of my time. What is this, like my sixth or seventh fight in the UFC? I’m coming off of one loss in my career.

“I think it’s time for me to start moving up and get those shots like Silva and some of the guys in the top 10. If that doesn’t put me in the top 10, I’m sure I’ll be there shortly.”

For complete coverage of The Ultimate Fighter 17 Finale, stay tuned to the UFC Events section of the site.

Galleries

Travis Browne Fights

• 8 months ago

Comments

Get To Know TUF Cast: Nicco Montano

It’s been a wild ride for the New Mexico resident, who was iffy about continuing in the sport when tryouts for the reality show were announced. The Ultimate Fighter airs Wednesday on FS1 starting at read news >>

Major Upset Eliminates A Favorite From TUF 26 | MMAWeekly.com

One of the favorites have been eliminated from The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion. No. 3 seed Lauren Murphy was defeated by No. 14 seed Nicco Montano on the fourth episode of the reality seri read news >>

Nicco Montano Upsets Lauren Murphy (TUF 26 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch highlights of The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion's fourth fight. No. 14 seed Nicco Montano pulled off the upset and eliminated the No. 3 seed. read news >>

LFA champ Andrea Lee returns tonight at LFA 23, but why isn't she on 'TUF 26'?

Officials say 14 fighters – 14! – turned down a fight tonight with LFA champ Andrea Lee. So why didn’t she just take a slot on “The Ultimate Fighter 26”?Filed under: AXS TV Fights, Featured Videos, N read news >>

Cornerman Vaults the Cage to Save Unconscious Fighter from the Ref (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

What do you do when the ref doesn't stop the fight when one fighter is unconscious? This guy vaults over the cage and stops the fight himself. read news >>

Get To Know TUF Cast: Sijara Eubanks

Fans of the UFC may be getting their first look at Sijara Eubanks on season 26 of The Ultimate Fighter, but those who have worked with the promotion for any length of time are no strangers to the eas read news >>

'TUF 26' vet Sijara Eubanks talks 'super dramatic' weight-cut that required cutting her dreadlocks

Sijara Eubanks walked on to the set of “The Ultimate Fighter 26” with a fight already booked against the scale.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Sijara Eubanks Submits Maia Stevenson (TUF 26 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the fight highlights from Sijara Eubanks' submission win over Maia Stevenson from The Ultimate Fighter: A New World Champion. read news >>

Get to know TUF Cast: Gillian Robertson

In most cases, the phrase “youth is wasted on the young” is accurate, but not when it comes to The Ultimate Fighter 26 flyweight Gillian Robertson, who is taking in everything she can as the youngest read news >>

Get to know TUF Cast: Barb Honchak

Widely considered to be the best flyweight in women’s MMA and one of the best in the sport, pound-for-pound, Honchak was the Invicta FC champion and seemingly on her way to big things before life got read news >>