#UFC Fight Night 117 #UFC Fight Night 52 #Jessica Andrade #Claudia Gadelha #Ovince St. Preux #Gokhan Saki #Bellator 183 #Fight Night Pittsburgh #Yushin Okami #Takanori Gomi #Dong Hyun Kim

Dominic WatersPerhaps one of the more unknown commodities heading into the current season of The Ultimate Fighter on FX, Dominic Waters has begun making a name for himself by the way he handles his business both in and out of the Octagon.

Perhaps more surprised than anyone of how he’s been able to stand out is Waters himself.

“I was really hyped up because I got out of the Marine Corps about eight months before I got the call to go,” said Waters. “It’s such a big opportunity. I know I really haven’t proven myself or anything and still have a long way to go, but I was really hyped and couldn’t wait to get in the gym and start training.”

Still, Waters felt that he would make his way to the UFC, either via the show or by making it the old fashioned way.

“I look at it like I could have taken the long route or this route, it doesn’t matter because I’m going to get there eventually,” Waters told MMAWeekly.com.

Waters’ impact on the show was felt immediately when he KO’d fellow hopeful Kevin Nowaczyk just 32 seconds into their preliminary bout.

“That’s how I go into every fight,” said Waters. “I just want to get in there and show them that I have my skills ready to go because I train hard and I try to finish fights fast.”

Waters’ explosiveness immediately garnished the attention of coach Roy Nelson, who made him the first pick on their team.

“It just gave me so much extra motivation and everything,” said Waters. “I got in there. It’s not hard to train or anything. I’m the number one pick and everyone expects me to do good, and I expect to do good.”

Waters feels his portrayal on the show so far has accurately reflected him and how he intended to carry himself during its duration.

“I think it’s a good representation of who I am,” he said. “I wasn’t really into the pranks or anything and didn’t want to make an ass of myself on national TV. I stayed calm and I focused on what I was there for instead of just trying to get TV time like some of the guys.”

Waters says he has taken a lot from the experience, regardless of the results of the season, and that it’s made him a better fighter than before.

“I like Pat Berry and Duane Ludwig’s view of fighting,” sad Waters. “Just go in there, fight hard, don’t leave it in the judges’ hands, and go in there and give it your all basically.

“I went there wanting to win the show, obviously, but more than anything, I just wanted to make me a better fighter. Since I’ve been home, I’ve just seen myself evolve more than anything.”

The Ultimate Fighter airs at 10 p.m. ET/PT every Friday on FX.

Comments

UFC contract winner Lauren Mueller on how failed 'TUF 26' bid helped her be ready for DWCS 8

Lauren Mueller had only three pro bouts when she got the call for Dana White’s Contender Series. But that doesn’t takes from her confidence.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Referee and judges set for UFC 216's Tony Ferguson vs. Kevin Lee title headliner

Veteran MMA referee Herb Dean will be the third man in the cage for UFC 216’s main event between Tony Ferguson and Kevin Lee.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Did Judges Get Amanda Nunes vs. Valentina Shevchenko Right? (UFC 215 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Check out highlights from Amanda Nunes' split-decision victory over Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 215 on Saturday in Edmonton. read news >>

Get To Know TUF Cast: Lauren Murphy

Lauren Murphy, a former Invicta FC bantamweight champion with four UFC fights to her name, didn’t feel like an MMA veteran earlier this year. Then she joined the cast of The Ultimate Fighter and ever read news >>

Report: 'TUF 23' winner Tatiana Suarez meets Viviane Pereira at UFC Fight Night 120 in Norfolk

At long last, the Season 23 winner of “The Ultimate Fighter,” Tatiana Suarez, will return to the octagon this fall. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fight Night 115 pre-event facts: Marion Reneau becomes UFC's first 40-year-old female fighter

Go inside the numbers for the first of four UFC events in September: UFC Fight Night 115 in Rotterdam in the Netherlands.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Watch MMAjunkie Radio here (1 p.m. ET) with Cynthia Calvillo, Fernando Gonzalez

MMAjunkie Radio kicks off today at 1 pm ET with UFC strawweight contender Cynthia Calvillo and Bellator 182 winner Fernando Gonzalez.Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2522 with Colby Covington

Stream or download Tuesday’s episode of MMAjunkie Radio with guest Colby Covington.Filed under: News, Radio, UFC read news >>

Stream or download MMAjunkie Radio #2522 with UFC Fight Night 119's Colby Covington

Management group settles with Leslie Smith, moves suit against Nate Diaz to federal court

A management lawsuit has been settled against UFC women’s bantamweight Leslie Smith, but Nate Diaz is now being sued in federal court. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>