Dominic WatersPerhaps one of the more unknown commodities heading into the current season of The Ultimate Fighter on FX, Dominic Waters has begun making a name for himself by the way he handles his business both in and out of the Octagon.

Perhaps more surprised than anyone of how he’s been able to stand out is Waters himself.

“I was really hyped up because I got out of the Marine Corps about eight months before I got the call to go,” said Waters. “It’s such a big opportunity. I know I really haven’t proven myself or anything and still have a long way to go, but I was really hyped and couldn’t wait to get in the gym and start training.”

Still, Waters felt that he would make his way to the UFC, either via the show or by making it the old fashioned way.

“I look at it like I could have taken the long route or this route, it doesn’t matter because I’m going to get there eventually,” Waters told MMAWeekly.com.

Waters’ impact on the show was felt immediately when he KO’d fellow hopeful Kevin Nowaczyk just 32 seconds into their preliminary bout.

“That’s how I go into every fight,” said Waters. “I just want to get in there and show them that I have my skills ready to go because I train hard and I try to finish fights fast.”

Waters’ explosiveness immediately garnished the attention of coach Roy Nelson, who made him the first pick on their team.

“It just gave me so much extra motivation and everything,” said Waters. “I got in there. It’s not hard to train or anything. I’m the number one pick and everyone expects me to do good, and I expect to do good.”

Waters feels his portrayal on the show so far has accurately reflected him and how he intended to carry himself during its duration.

“I think it’s a good representation of who I am,” he said. “I wasn’t really into the pranks or anything and didn’t want to make an ass of myself on national TV. I stayed calm and I focused on what I was there for instead of just trying to get TV time like some of the guys.”

Waters says he has taken a lot from the experience, regardless of the results of the season, and that it’s made him a better fighter than before.

“I like Pat Berry and Duane Ludwig’s view of fighting,” sad Waters. “Just go in there, fight hard, don’t leave it in the judges’ hands, and go in there and give it your all basically.

“I went there wanting to win the show, obviously, but more than anything, I just wanted to make me a better fighter. Since I’ve been home, I’ve just seen myself evolve more than anything.”

The Ultimate Fighter airs at 10 p.m. ET/PT every Friday on FX.

UFC on FOX 23 results: Alexandre Pantoja takes split from 'TUF 24' castmate Eric Shelton

DENVER – A solid first two rounds for Alexandre Pantoja, with close submission attempts in each, was enough to squeak past a disappointed Eric Shelton. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

After UFC-debut win, 'TUF 24' semifinalist Alexandre Pantoja ready for top-10 opponent like Benavidez

DENVER – After getting the split-call nod over “TUF 24” castmate Eric Shelton at UFC on FOX 23, Alexandre Pantoja said his experience has earned him a “good and experienced” opponent like, say, forme read news >>

Ali Motamed to Face Rocky Lee at Full Metal Dojo 13 | MMAWeekly.com

UFC and TUF alumni Rocky Lee returns to action at Full Metal Dojo 13 in Bangkok next month. The Taiwanese featherweight has been handed a tough assignment. read news >>

UFC President Dana White on 'TUF 8' winner: 'Bellator is a good place for Ryan Bader'

HOUSTON – The most tenured light heavyweight fighter in UFC history officially will be taking his talents elsewhere. Filed under: Bellator, News, UFC read news >>

Was the Anderson Silva Decision the Right Call? (UFC 208 Fight Highlights) | MMAWeekly.com

Was the judges' decision correct in the Anderson Silva vs. Derek Brunson fight at UFC 208 in Brooklyn? read news >>

Referees, judges selected for UFC 209's championship doubleheader

The Nevada State Athletic Commission today selected referees and judges for next month’s UFC 209 event during a Valentine’s Day meeting in Las Vegas. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 208 reaction: Did the judges get de Randamie-Holm right?

UFC.com’s Matt Parrino and NESN.com’s Andre Khatchaturian break down what happened in the five-round main event at UFC 208. The two discuss Germaine de Randamie’s performance, what’s next for Holly H read news >>

UFC champ Cody Garbrandt content coaching 'TUF 25' against a 'generic version of Dominick Cruz'

• a day ago

UFC bantamweight champion Cody Garbrandt didn’t get the fight he expected, but he said he’s perfectly content coaching with the one he’s got.Filed under: Featured, Featured Videos, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

UFC 214 in Anaheim Moves to July | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

UFC officials on Friday announced that the promotion's Anaheim date was shifted again. read news >>

USADA Hands Tom Lawlor Lengthy Suspension for UFC Anti-Doping Violation | MMAWeekly.com

• a day ago

Tom Lawlor on Friday was handed a two-year suspension by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency after having tested positive for a prohibited substance in October. read news >>