#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Tony Ferguson #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Nick Diaz #Donald Cerrone #Dominick Cruz #Robbie Lawler

TJ Grant vs Matt Wiman at UFC on Fox 6TJ Grant has been a force during his entire 10-fight UFC tenure.

He’s taken fighters like Dong Hyun Kim, Ricardo Almeida, and Johny Hendricks to the wire. But in the UFC, going to the wire isn’t enough. If you go to the wire, you still need to notch a W.

That’s why Grant, competitive as a welterweight, made the drop to 155 pounds about a year and a half ago. He hasn’t looked back since.

Instead of being competitive, he’s dominating. His record now sits at 20-5 overall and 7-3 in the Octagon.

Grant’s latest victim was Matt Wiman at Saturday night’s UFC on Fox 6, a fighter that, like Grant, was starting to rise up the ranks.

Grant blasted Wiman, knocking him out with a combination of elbows and punches just before the end of the opening round.

The victory was the Canadian’s fourth consecutive at lightweight, not yet putting him in a position to vie for Benson Henderson’s belt, but definitely marking him for bouts with other contenders that are nearing a title shot.

“I’m gonna leave it up to the UFC. I’m just looking to take the next step,” remarked Grant after the fight.

“Top 10, that’s where I want to be. I wanna keep moving closer and closer. I’m realistic; I know there’s a lot of tough guys out there. One guy that I think would be really exciting (for me) is Jim Miller. Ultimately, that’s up to the UFC.”

Miller would seem a logical next step for Grant. Miller had a seven-fight streak derailed by Henderson in late 2011, which touched off a four-fight stretch that left him alternating between wins and losses.

But with his recent victory over Joe Lauzon, Miller is still among the elite in the lightweight class, and a victory over him would be a huge next step for Grant’s championship aspirations.

“Going along early in my career, it was quiet, flying under the radar,” Grant recounted. “I built up a lot of experience in the UFC. I’ve had 10 fights and I’m fortunate for that.

“Right now, I feel like I’m putting it all together and I’m making a statement.”

His boss tends to agree.

Although UFC president Dana White wouldn’t yet commit to Grant’s next opponent – something he’s become rather averse to on fight nights – he agrees that it’s time for the level of competition to match the level of Grant’s impressive run.

“This breaks that kid into the Top 10 and he’s got big fights ahead of him now.”

Be sure to Like MMAWeekly.com on Facebook and Follow @MMAWeeklycom on Twitter.

Comments

Claudia Gadelha has 'no excuses' for UFC-Japan loss, plans for time off

Claudia Gadelha plans to take a hiatus from competition following a “Fight of the Night” loss to Jessica Andrade at UFC Fight Night 117. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Jim Miller vs. Francisco Trinaldo is 13th addition to UFC Fight Night 119 in Brazil

After putting out a call for an opponent – at lightweight or welterweight – Jim Miller will remain at 155 pounds.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

UFC 217's Georges St-Pierre: No fight enhances my legacy more than Michael Bisping

Georges St-Pierre is returning competition at UFC 217 to make his already legendary resume inside the octagon even better.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Dana White: Women's MMA is 'Like a (Expletive) Rocket Ship Right Now' | MMAWeekly.com

• 4 hours ago

Pioneer promoters like Jeff Osborne of Hook-N-Shoot were putting on all-women fight cards in the early 2000's, but it's now the hottest thing in MMA. read news >>

Interim UFC champ Tony Ferguson receives jiu-jitsu black belt from Eddie Bravo

• 3 hours ago

Tony Ferguson followed his interim UFC lightweight title win at UFC 216 with another belt of significance.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

UFC Fighter Lyman Good Files Lawsuit Against Supplement Company Over Tainted Product | MMAWeekly.com

• 3 hours ago

UFC welterweight Lyman Good is fighting back after he was suspended for six months after testing positive for a banned substance that was found in a contaminated supplement he was taking. USADA (Unit read news >>

Aljamain Sterling: 2 more UFC wins makes me an 'appealing fight' for bantamweight title

• 2 hours ago

Aljamain Sterling is confident and has a good understanding of where he stands in the UFC bantamweight title picture.Filed under: News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira hit with potential USADA violation, pulled from UFC on FOX 26

• an hour ago

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira took to social media to deny wrongdoing upon being informed of his failed drug test.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Antonio Nogueira Pulled from UFC Fight Night Bout for Failed Drug Test

• an hour ago

Antonio Rogerio Nogueira has been taken off the UFC Fight Night card on Dec. 16 when he was scheduled to fight Jared Cannonier due to a potential drug test failure. Per a statement from UFC, Nogueira read news >>

Ovince Saint Preux replaces Patrick Cummins, meets Corey Anderson at UFC 217 in NYC

• 53 minutes ago

Ovince Saint Preux has stepped in to fight Corey Anderson on short notice at UFC 217 next month.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>