Welterweight “Stun Gun” Dong Hyun Kim (Pictured) and lightweight Charles “do Bronx” Oliveira each signed four-fight extensions with the company this week, according to reports from The Korea Times and Tatame.com.br, respectively.
Kim still had one bout remaining on his previous agreement, his agency, IB Sports, told the Korea Times, but the UFC “offered to extend his contract with satisfactory conditions.”
The 29-year-old Kim defeated Nate Diaz in a hard-fought unanimous decision on Jan. 1, remaining unbeaten with his 14th career victory. Five of those wins have come inside the Octagon, including decisions over “The Ultimate Fighter” Season 7 winner Amir Sadollah and hard-nosed Canadian T.J. Grant.
A star in his native South Korea, Kim told Sherdog.com’s John Evans last month that, despite his lack of finishes in the UFC, he hopes to garner more highlight-reel footage soon.
“In Deep, I usually finished fights by knockout, but in the UFC, the fighters are much better,” Kim said. “It’s not that the UFC puts pressure on me to finish fights. I put pressure on myself.”
Fiery Brazilian wunderkind Oliveira, meanwhile, recently tasted defeat for the first time. At December’s UFC 124, the 21-year-old was submitted by the surging Jim Miller via first-round kneebar.
Oliveira had reeled off 14 straight wins -- all but one via stoppage -- to begin his career. He made waves in his August UFC debut by armbarring Darren Elkins in under a minute, and continued to raise his stock when he took out “TUF 8” winner Efrain Escudero with a third-round rear-naked choke submission one month later.view original article >>
A pair of welterweight prospects will throw down at UFC 218 looking to rebound.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
While 2016 was a banner year for UFC Pay-Per-View events, 2017 has seen a tremendous reverse in fortunes. read news >>
At UFC 216, Demetrious Johnson became the most successful champion in UFC history. By defeating Ray Borg via suplex armbar, Johnson notched his 11th title defense, breaking the record set by Anderson read news >>
Dana White says he yanked Mark Hunt from UFC Fight Night headliner to save him from himself. read news >>
Can the UFC sideline a fighter for writing about symptoms of brain trauma? What precedent does that set? That and more in Twitter Mailbag.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Watch the UFC 217: Bisping vs. St-Pierre Toronto Press Conference Live Stream on MMAWeekly.com. read news >>
An interim title for Rafael dos Anjos vs. Robbie Lawler? UFC champ Tyron Woodley isn’t having it.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
UFC President Dana White told TMZ Sports on Thursday the company decided to remove Mark Hunt from its event in Sydney next month as a medical precaution. "Sometimes, you gotta protect these guys from read news >>
Gegard Mousasi has yet to make his Bellator debut, but already he has glowing reviews for the promotion opposed to his run with the UFC.Filed under: Bellator, News read news >>
When John Moraga knocked out Magomed Bibulatov with a thunderous left hook, he was purging months – and perhaps years – of dissatisfaction.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>