#UFC Fight Night 83 #Luke Rockhold #Conor McGregor #David Branch #Nate Diaz #Saturday Night Fights #UFC 215 #GGG #Michael Bisping #Jon Jones

From left to right: Akano, Tate, Damm, Kujala | Photo: Esther Lin/Strikeforce

Matchups were set Thursday in Phoenix for Strikeforce’s women’s welterweight tournament.

Hitomi Akano will face Carina Damm in the opening round, and Miesha Tate will fight Maiju Kujala. All four women made weight ahead of the single-elimination one-night tournament, which is part of the Strikeforce Challengers card airing live Friday on Showtime from the Dodge Theatre.

The fighters did not know their first-round matchups until they were drawn Thursday.

“We will go over (Kujala’s) weaknesses and make them fresh in my mind,” Tate said in a news release. “I don’t feel stressed. I feel great. I’ll get a little nervous, but I came here to do a job so it’s all business right now.”

Damm seemed content with her pairing against Akano.

“We have the same style, so it should be a good one,” Damm said. “I didn’t really care who I fight. Now that I know, I can focus more. The next 24 hours I will think only of fighting Akano.”

Strikeforce women’s welterweight champion Sarah Kaufman picked Tate and Akano to advance to the final.

“I think Miesha’s ground game is too strong and that she gets past Kujala,” Kaufman said. “In the first match I think it’s a toss-up, but I think Akano has a little bit more experience, so I think I’ll pick her.

“In the final it just really depends on what they do in their first fights. If it’s Akano vs. Tate, it’s a tough fight to call. It’s just too tough to call.”

In the main event, Joe Riggs and Louis Taylor will square off in a 182-pound catchweight bout. Ryan Couture, son of UFC great Randy Couture, is also on the card. He meets Lucas Stark in a lightweight bout.

Joe Riggs (181.6) vs. Louis Taylor (181.2)
Ryan Couture (155.6) vs. Lucas Stark (153.2)

Miesha Tate (134.2) vs. Maiju Kujala (134.4)
Carina Damm (134.8) vs. Hitomi Akano (135.0)

Comments

Official Irish Fan Zone might be the best place to watch Mayweather-McGregor

The Artisan Hotel in Las Vegas has set up a special Floyd Mayweather vs. Conor McGregor viewing party catered to the Irish.Filed under: Blue Corner, Featured Videos, News, UFC read news >>

Bellator 182 live video stream and official results (6:30 p.m. ET)

Bellator 182 takes place tonight, and you can join us for a live video stream and official results beginning at 6:30 pm ET.Filed under: Bellator, Featured, News, Videos read news >>

Watch the Mayweather vs. McGregor Weigh-in Live at 5 PM ET | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the official weigh-in for the boxing bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor live on Friday at 5 p.m. ET. read news >>

Watch the Mayweather vs. McGregor Weigh-in Live at 5 PM ET | MMAWeekly.com

Watch the official weigh-in for the boxing bout between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor live on Friday at 6 p.m. ET / 3 p.m. PT. read news >>

Floyd Mayweather, Conor McGregor make weight for 'The Money Fight'

“The Money Fight” is official after Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor make the 154-pound limit.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Mayweather vs. McGregor: Fight Time, Online Odds and Projected Winner

There won't be any official boxing titles up for grabs when Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor meet in the ring on Saturday. But that doesn't mean there won't be plenty on the line between these read news >>

McGregor vs. Mayweather: Weigh-in Results, Odds, Fight Time and Undercard Info

It's official: the fight is on between Floyd Mayweather Jr. and Conor McGregor. The August 26 bout has been on the books since June, when the two camps signed on for Saturday's main event at T-Mobile read news >>

Bisping vs. St-Pierre and Garbrandt vs. Dillashaw Official for UFC 217 | MMAWeekly.com

Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre is now official, taking the UFC 217 headlining slot. read news >>

UFC Rotterdam: Volkov vs. Struve Media Day Face-Offs (video) | MMAWeekly.com

(Courtesy of UFC) Watch the face-offs from Thursday's official Media Day at UFC Fight Night Rotterdam. The main event features heavyweights Alexander Volkov and Stefan Struve. Former UFC women's feat read news >>

Fight Night Rotterdam official weigh-in results

Check out the weigh in results for UFC Fight Night Rotterdam, which is headlined by Alexander Volkov and Stefan Struve, airs live on UFC FIGHT PASS from Rotterdam, Netherlands on Saturday, Sept. 2 at read news >>