Strikeforce on Thursday officially announced its Nov. 3 Cormier vs. Mir fight card slated for Chesapeake Energy Arena in Oklahoma City, Okla. It will are live on Showtime at 10 p.m. ET. The broadcast is delayed until 10 p.m. PT on the West Coast.
News of Daniel Cormier vs. Frank Mir in the main event has been public for several weeks. The promotion made it official and also confirmed MMAWeekly.com’s exclusive news of Strikeforce middleweight champion Luke Rockhold defending against Lorenz Larkin in the co-main event.
“As a former Oklahoma State wrestler and two-time Olympian, Cormier has used his wrestling background to immediately put himself among the sport’s elite,” said Strikeforce CEO Scott Coker. “On Nov. 3 he faces his toughest opponent to date in former UFC heavyweight champ Frank Mir, who has beaten legend after legend on his own path to the title. We’ve had a lot of big heavyweight bouts in the history of Strikeforce, but I can tell you, without a doubt, that this is the one that you don’t want to miss.”
Rockhold has defended his belt twice since winning it from Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza last year. He’ll try to make it three straight when he faces Larkin, who is undefeated in 13 professional bouts.
“Rockhold is rapidly approaching his first full year of being middleweight champ and he’s definitely opened a lot of eyes in that time,” said Coker. “He’s beaten three top contenders, successfully defended the belt twice and looked extremely impressive in doing so. This bout could easily be the toughest matchup he’s seen yet due to Larkin’s equally impressive standup.”
Tickets for Strikeforce: Cormier vs. Mir go on sale to the public on Friday, Sep. 14 at 10 a.m. CT. UFC Fight Club members will have the opportunity to purchase tickets to this event Wednesday, Sept. 12 at 10 a.m. CT, via the website www.UFCFightClub.com. A special Internet ticket pre-sale will be available to UFC newsletter and Strikeforce Insider subscribers Thursday, Sept. 13, starting at 10 a.m. CT.
Stay tuned to MMAWeekly.com for more Strikeforce news and updates.
The UFC announced Friday that light heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier will face Jon "Bones" Jones in the main event of UFC 214. It will mark the second meeting between Cormier and Jones, as Jones w read news >>
At 40 years old, Vitor Belfort is preparing to make his 25th and final trip to the UFC’s famed octagon.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Vitor Belfort's final fight inside the Octagon will be against former Strikeforce champion Nate Marquardt at UFC 212. read news >>
By now, you’ve heard Al Iaquinta’s complaints about the UFC. According to one UFC official, the rage is completely misplaced.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>
UFC on Monday announced that Hospital for Special Surgery (HSS) will serve as the global brand’s first-ever official hospital. read news >>
Anderson Silva is officially off the UFC 212 fight card. UFC officials announced Silva would be taken off the card Thursday, per MMA Junkie, days after the Brazilian legend announced it himself. "I r read news >>
UFC on Thursday officially announced its return to Mexico City on August 5, 2017, marking the fifth time UFC has held a card in Mexico. read news >>
Former longtime middleweight champion Anderson Silva is officially off the UFC 212 card.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
UFC officials removed Anderson Silva from the UFC 212 fight card on Thursday, offering refunds to jilted fans. read news >>
Following the official announcement Anderson Silva will not fight at June’s UFC 212 event in Rio de Janeiro, it appears the next move for the former longtime UFC middleweight champion will come in th read news >>