The date for the semifinal round of the Strikeforce Heavyweight Grand Prix was recently confirmed for Sept. 10. Now we have a location. It will take place at the U.S. Bank Arena in Cincinnati. MMAWeekly.com confirmed the location, first reported by MMAJunkie.com, with independent sources.
One casualty of the card is Alistair Overeem, whose recovery from an injured toe, according to UFC president Dana White, wouldn’t allow the Strikeforce heavyweight champion ample preparatory time. White said the date was scheduled by Strikeforce TV partner Showtime and couldn’t be switched up to accommodate Overeem.
Daniel Cormier will step in and take Overeem’s place against Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva in the semifinal round of the tournament.
Another non-tournament bout has been added to the card as well with Strikeforce light heavyweight Rafael “Feijao” Cavalcante taking on Yoel Romero. The bout was first reported by MMAJunkie.com and subsequently confirmed by MMAWeekly.com sources.
Cavalcante (10-3) is one fight removed from losing his title to Dan Henderson. He had been on a three-fight winning streak prior to that bout, and will be looking to resurrect that success against Romero.
Romero (4-0) was an Olympic silver medalist for Cuba in the 2000 freestyle competition. He transitioned to mixed martial arts in late 2009, reeling off four consecutive victories in competitions in Germany and Poland. Feijao is by far the biggest opportunity of his career.
Stay tuned to the MMAWeekly.com Strikeforce: Fedor vs. Henderson rumors page for all the latest updates to the fight card.
UFC legend Anderson Silva is not happy with his current situation. He said that he will retire if he doesn't get a fight with Yoel Romero at UFC 212. read news >>
Vitor Belfort's final fight inside the Octagon will be against former Strikeforce champion Nate Marquardt at UFC 212. read news >>
Former UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva is not happy with his employers and is threatening to walk away from the sport.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>
Photo by Jayne Kamin-Oncea-USA TODAY Sports When you’re a middle-aged mixed martial artist, the march of time, more than any other fighter, becomes your most terrifying opponent. Suddenly waiting aro read news >>
In the United States, the headlines hit mixed martial arts websites, message boards and social media like a coordinated strike against decency. 12-year-old set to fight 24-year-old adult in mixed mar read news >>
After endless complaints from fans and middleweight contenders, UFC President Dana White claims the company has decided to call off plans for a Michael Bisping vs. Georges St-Pierre title fight later read news >>
UFC President Dana White told Fox Sports Australia's UFC Fight Week that a planned middleweight title fight between Georges St-Pierre and Michael Bisping has been called off. According to Fox Sports read news >>
The announced middleweight title fight between champion Michael Bisping and Georges St-Pierre is off. read news >>
Did Georges St-Pierre’s slow ramp up to a UFC return prove to be his undoing? Is Bellator really going to give more former UFC champs a chance to come back? Why don’t more people see Stipie Miocic as read news >>
DALLAS – Saturday’s UFC 211 event drew an announced attendance of 17,834 and a live gate of $2,662,645.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>