#Conor McGregor #UFC 216 #GSP #Fight Night Rotterdam #Tony Ferguson #Darren Till #Nate Diaz #Kevin Lee #Michael Bisping #Nick Diaz #Donald Cerrone #Dominick Cruz #Robbie Lawler

Ronda Rousey’s Saturday night submission victory over Sarah Kaufman lasted just 54 seconds, but the Strikeforce women’s bantamweight champion says she was in no hurry to seal the deal.

The former Olympic judo bronze medalist applied one of her trademark armbars on Kaufman less than 30 seconds into their titular headliner at Valley View Casino Center in San Diego, Calif., and soon after added the former champion to her list of first-round victims.

“It’s cool how I’ve had to change all my habits from judo,” Rousey (Pictured, file photo) told Showtime Sports after her win. “In judo, I have a tendency to rush, because I only have a few seconds to [submit my opponent before the bout is restarted standing]. This time, I got [the armbar], and I was like, ‘Take your time.’” While the submission itself played out methodically, the lead-up to the finish proved tense from the start, as Rousey immediately jabbed her way inside before launching a right hook that occupied Kaufman’s attention while she further closed the gap. Once in the clinch, Rousey failed with a head-and-arm throw but moments later hit a smooth foot sweep that planted Kaufman on her posterior in a sequence that would serve as the beginning of the end for the former champion.

Rousey instantly stepped into mount as Kaufman attempted in vain to regain a seated position. The British Columbia native then tried to roll for an escape, but Rousey quickly snatched the Canadian’s right appendage and dived for her signature armbar, hooking the crook of Kaufman’s knee and flopping her over onto her back. Kaufman appeared well-prepared to defend the submission, however, keeping her arm bolted to her chest and holding on for all she was worth as Rousey slowly began to pry apart her grip. Kaufman continually rolled with the pressure and rotated her shoulder, lasting nearly 30 seconds before Rousey finally ripped apart her hands and finished the hold, forcing Kaufman to tap less than one minute into the hyped championship affair.

“I thought that if I went for it too early that I might lose my position,” said Rousey of the finish. “I feel like I’m developing more as a mixed martial artist that I was able to change my position until I was happy with where I was before I went for it. I feel mature now with this win. I’m more relaxed, and I’m not [rushing] like in my earlier fights.”

Prior to tonight’s contest, Rousey notably supplemented her preparation by spending time with Team Cesar Gracie, a decision she says paid both physical and mental dividends.

“They did a lot in keeping me from plateauing. I feel like changing your environment is really important, in moderation, and they were great,” Rousey said. “They helped me stay motivated and helped me to still enjoy what I’m doing. I think Mike Tyson said that a happy fighter is a dangerous fighter. They were really good about teaching me a whole lot of new things but also making sure that I was enjoying the journey.”

Galleries

Ronda Rousey Fights

• a year ago

Comments

Not even Miesha Tate wants to see Ronda Rousey 'get slaughtered' by Cris Cyborg

Miesha Tate goes off on Ronda Rousey’s coach for his “asinine” suggestion that a fight with Cris Cyborg should happen.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk hopes to break Ronda Rousey's record – 125 then possible

Although her focus is on UFC 217 opponent Rose Namajunas, champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk is still considering a move up to flyweight.Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ric Flair's Daughter Annoyed by Ronda Rousey Hounding (Video) | MMAWeekly.com

Maybe accosting Charlotte Flair in the airport and slamming her with Ronda Rousey isn't the way to go. read news >>

Even Miesha Tate Doesn't Want to See Cris Cyborg Slaughter Ronda Rousey | MMAWeekly.com

Even Ronda Rousey's most heated rival, Miesha Tate, wouldn't send her to slaughter by having her fight Cris Cyborg. read news >>

Joanna Jedrzejczyk planning to break Ronda Rousey’s record...

The strawweight queen is one win away from tying the record for successful defences from a female champion and plans to break that next year. read news >>

Report: Andrea Lee out of UFC 216 vs. Kalindra Faria – and Sarah Kaufman wants in

Not long after finding herself on next week’s UFC 216 card, it appears Andrea Lee will have to wait a while to make her promotional debut. Filed under: News, UFC read news >>

Ronda Rousey Produced Documentary Series 'Why We Fight' Picked Up by Verizon Go90 | MMAWeekly.com

Former UFC women's bantamweight champion Ronda Rousey continued to push into new avenues outside the cage with her latest project getting picked up by Verizon's Go90 free video service. The documenta read news >>

Brandon Gibson: Jackson-Wink MMA dethroned 'unbeatable' Ronda Rousey – Demetrious Johnson next

The Jackson-Wink MMA camp in Albuquerque, N.M., is no stranger to taking out dominant, seemingly flawless champions.Filed under: Featured, News, UFC, Videos read news >>

Champ Joanna Jedrzejczyk right where she wants to be defending title vs. Rose Namajunas at MSG

Joanna Jedrzejczyk intends to join Ronda Rousey in setting a UFC record on the big stage at Madison Square Garden. Filed under: Featured, News, UFC read news >>